Honda Fury

Jfro5687_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Honda (marketing dept) seems to have a habit of not promoting/pushing their bikes. A-la CB1100. I’ve just discovered a bike called Fury and IMO is a real looker. Didn’t even know it existed. Never ever seen one. It seems they were only in the UK around 2010/2011 so that’s probably why. Does anyone have one or have they ridden one, what’s it like?
 
I've sat on one and it was suprisingly comfortable for a cruiser
 
In the past I saw Honda Furys in the showroom. They do not look bad. They do capture the attention for a bit, and a better attention than say the NM-4.
 
Yeah... they were around here in the U.S. but were largely ignored. I had a VTX1800 at the time, which, in my opinion, was a beautiful rendition of a classic cruiser. The Fury was Honda's attempt to sell a ready-made chopper... sort of like Plymouth's attempt to sell a hotrod with the Prowler. With the Fury, Honda replaced their large cruisers with bikes styled like the Fury, with longer forks and less traditional styling. That's when most cruiser enthusiasts dropped interest in Honda altogether.

The Shadow soldiered on if you wanted a 750, but most weren't interested in the "bar hopper" styling of the bigger bikes.
 
I had always wanted a "chopper", so when I first became aware of the Fury in mid-2018 I thought "WOW! It's a chopper AND a HONDA. That would be PERFECT!!"

I began a search for a low-mileage used one and soon found a 2016 model with less than 900 miles. I bought it sight-unseen and had it shipped from New York to Florida. Seemed like each year's model was a different color and the '16s were matte grey :( but my son is a painter and we (he) quickly painted it Camaro Inferno Orange,

41ea89ce9218beaffe93d31e184f8061.jpg


Now I also had a '14 CB1100 STD but once I got the Fury I expected it to become my favored ride.

But gradually riding the Fury became a chore. Motor was great, highway cruising was great, but handling around town, leaving or entering my neighborhood, any slow-speed maneuvering, required greater effort and concentration than any previous bike in my 50 years cycling experience. That long wheelbase, long front end certainly *looked* great, but sure didn't *handle* great. I think I now understood why the previous owner had put on less than 900 miles. I, too, put on less than 900 miles in the year I owned the Fury.

I no loner crave a "chopper"...

BTW: The "cooling fins" on the Fury are PLASTIC. They come off with a couple screws.

By the summer of '19 I had become enamored with the Harley Sport Glide and traded both the Fury and the CB for a new Sport Glide.

769e65644b1b0f4910966dfd91279368.jpg


While I don't want this to be a "Harley" thread, the Sport Glide handles MUCH better than the Fury...

EDIT: I watched the web site of the Harley dealer to whom I had traded both bikes. The Fury sold within a week. The CB took six to eight weeks before re-selling (although I guess someone seeking a UJM Honda is unlikely to visit a Harley Dealer).
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Honda (marketing dept) seems to have a habit of not promoting/pushing their bikes. A-la CB1100. I’ve just discovered a bike called Fury and IMO is a real looker. Didn’t even know it existed. Never ever seen one. It seems they were only in the UK around 2010/2011 so that’s probably why. Does anyone have one or have they ridden one, what’s it like?
They were an attempt to catch the "Orange County Choppers" crowd. Thing of it is, Honda showed up to the party waaay too late.
 
decarmine_imp said:
I had always wanted a "chopper", so when I first became aware of the Fury in mid-2018 I thought "WOW! It's a chopper AND a HONDA. That would be PERFECT!!"

I began a search for a low-mileage used one and soon found a 2016 model with less than 900 miles. I bought it sight-unseen and had it shipped from New York to Florida. Seemed like each year's model was a different color and the '16s were matte grey :( but my son is a painter and we (he) quickly painted it Camaro Inferno Orange,

cbdddf1fb2d7d5236e41ec645bd0d31b.jpg


Now I also had a '14 CB1100 STD but once I got the Fury I expected it to become my favored ride.

But gradually riding the Fury became a chore. Motor was great, highway cruising was great, but handling around town, leaving or entering my neighborhood, any slow-speed maneuvering, required greater effort and concentration than any previous bike in my 50 years cycling experience. That long wheelbase, long front end certainly *looked* great, but sure didn't *handle* great. I think I now understood why the previous owner had put on less than 900 miles. I, too, put on less than 900 miles in the year I owned the Fury.

I no loner crave a "chopper"...

BTW: The "cooling fins" on the Fury are PLASTIC. They come off with a couple screws.

By the summer of '19 I had become enamored with the Harley Sport Glide and traded both the Fury and the CB for a new Sport Glide.

c19d0c1bcbe3e4b31d049bdbcdfef450.jpg


While I don't want this to be a "Harley" thread, the Sport Glide handles MUCH better than the Fury...

EDIT: I watched the web site of the Harley dealer to whom I had traded both bikes. The Fury sold within a week. The CB took six to eight weeks before re-selling (although I guess someone seeking a UJM Honda is unlikely to visit a Harley Dealer).
yea you have to really WANT to ride a chopper to put up with the handling of a chopper
 
Mechanically, the Fury is a VTX1300. If I've always toyed with the idea of adding a cruiser back to my stable, but wouldn't want the mastodon that the VTX1800 was. I'd be happy with a VTX1300, even if most of the chrome is plastic.
 
The ferret_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
I had always wanted a "chopper", so when I first became aware of the Fury in mid-2018 I thought "WOW! It's a chopper AND a HONDA. That would be PERFECT!!"

I began a search for a low-mileage used one and soon found a 2016 model with less than 900 miles. I bought it sight-unseen and had it shipped from New York to Florida. Seemed like each year's model was a different color and the '16s were matte grey :( but my son is a painter and we (he) quickly painted it Camaro Inferno Orange,

cbdddf1fb2d7d5236e41ec645bd0d31b.jpg


Now I also had a '14 CB1100 STD but once I got the Fury I expected it to become my favored ride.

But gradually riding the Fury became a chore. Motor was great, highway cruising was great, but handling around town, leaving or entering my neighborhood, any slow-speed maneuvering, required greater effort and concentration than any previous bike in my 50 years cycling experience. That long wheelbase, long front end certainly *looked* great, but sure didn't *handle* great. I think I now understood why the previous owner had put on less than 900 miles. I, too, put on less than 900 miles in the year I owned the Fury.

I no loner crave a "chopper"...

BTW: The "cooling fins" on the Fury are PLASTIC. They come off with a couple screws.

By the summer of '19 I had become enamored with the Harley Sport Glide and traded both the Fury and the CB for a new Sport Glide.

c19d0c1bcbe3e4b31d049bdbcdfef450.jpg


While I don't want this to be a "Harley" thread, the Sport Glide handles MUCH better than the Fury...

EDIT: I watched the web site of the Harley dealer to whom I had traded both bikes. The Fury sold within a week. The CB took six to eight weeks before re-selling (although I guess someone seeking a UJM Honda is unlikely to visit a Harley Dealer).
yea you have to really WANT to ride a chopper to put up with the handling of a chopper
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
 
The fury is still in Honda's 2020 lineup in the States. If I was going to get any of Honda's "cruisers," it would probably be the Rebel 1100.
 
decarmine_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
I had always wanted a "chopper", so when I first became aware of the Fury in mid-2018 I thought "WOW! It's a chopper AND a HONDA. That would be PERFECT!!"

I began a search for a low-mileage used one and soon found a 2016 model with less than 900 miles. I bought it sight-unseen and had it shipped from New York to Florida. Seemed like each year's model was a different color and the '16s were matte grey :( but my son is a painter and we (he) quickly painted it Camaro Inferno Orange,

cbdddf1fb2d7d5236e41ec645bd0d31b.jpg


Now I also had a '14 CB1100 STD but once I got the Fury I expected it to become my favored ride.

But gradually riding the Fury became a chore. Motor was great, highway cruising was great, but handling around town, leaving or entering my neighborhood, any slow-speed maneuvering, required greater effort and concentration than any previous bike in my 50 years cycling experience. That long wheelbase, long front end certainly *looked* great, but sure didn't *handle* great. I think I now understood why the previous owner had put on less than 900 miles. I, too, put on less than 900 miles in the year I owned the Fury.

I no loner crave a "chopper"...

BTW: The "cooling fins" on the Fury are PLASTIC. They come off with a couple screws.

By the summer of '19 I had become enamored with the Harley Sport Glide and traded both the Fury and the CB for a new Sport Glide.

c19d0c1bcbe3e4b31d049bdbcdfef450.jpg


While I don't want this to be a "Harley" thread, the Sport Glide handles MUCH better than the Fury...

EDIT: I watched the web site of the Harley dealer to whom I had traded both bikes. The Fury sold within a week. The CB took six to eight weeks before re-selling (although I guess someone seeking a UJM Honda is unlikely to visit a Harley Dealer).
yea you have to really WANT to ride a chopper to put up with the handling of a chopper
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
Isn't that the truth!
 
Been away for awhile, still working on the 82' GS1100E. You guys be careful buying old bikes! I fixed the 80' GS 750E up well enough to ride already, but that meant I rebuilt all 3 calipers; new everything, pistons, seals, pads, etc.... and a new rear disc from Dennis Kirk. New Speedo cable. Cost=about $500.
The 82' is going to be a little more. When I am finished, I will add it up. Only reason I am spending too much is, now that I am retired, it looks like a Motorcycle Mechanic I am going to become. I am starting with adding an oil radiator, rebuilding/jetting the carbs, new progressive rear shocks, rebuilding the front fork; new seals and heavier springs, rebuilding all 3 calipers, new fuel petcock for starters. Also I have already corrected the external view of the bike to what it looked like in 1982. Cost alone for face-lift, about $300.
Do not mean to get too longwinded, but the discussion about the V-twin chopper, got me upset. No more V-twins here, forever! I am 66 now, spent my late 30's thru 50's riding them....no more.
I am going to spend the years I have left riding on my stable of in-line 4's!
Two Honda CB1100's.
My 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, now with full blown Alkrapovic Headers/Exhaust.
Two, old Suzuki GS's, the 80' 750, and 82' 1100.
Funny, 3 of 5 are 1100cc bikes. So glad all I did to the 2013 was to drain all the fluids and repad all the calipers. Just bought Braided steel brake lines for the 2013 CB and the GS1100E. Motorcycle mechanic, here I come. Who said being retired meant being bored or NOT working. Take care all.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Been away for awhile, still working on the 82' GS1100E. You guys be careful buying old bikes! I fixed the 80' GS 750E up well enough to ride already, but that meant I rebuilt all 3 calipers; new everything, pistons, seals, pads, etc.... and a new rear disc from Dennis Kirk. New Speedo cable. Cost=about $500.
The 82' is going to be a little more. When I am finished, I will add it up. Only reason I am spending too much is, now that I am retired, it looks like a Motorcycle Mechanic I am going to become. I am starting with adding an oil radiator, rebuilding/jetting the carbs, new progressive rear shocks, rebuilding the front fork; new seals and heavier springs, rebuilding all 3 calipers, new fuel petcock for starters. Also I have already corrected the external view of the bike to what it looked like in 1982. Cost alone for face-lift, about $300.
Do not mean to get too longwinded, but the discussion about the V-twin chopper, got me upset. No more V-twins here, forever! I am 66 now, spent my late 30's thru 50's riding them....no more.
I am going to spend the years I have left riding on my stable of in-line 4's!
Two Honda CB1100's.
My 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, now with full blown Alkrapovic Headers/Exhaust.
Two, old Suzuki GS's, the 80' 750, and 82' 1100.
Funny, 3 of 5 are 1100cc bikes. So glad all I did to the 2013 was to drain all the fluids and repad all the calipers. Just bought Braided steel brake lines for the 2013 CB and the GS1100E. Motorcycle mechanic, here I come. Who said being retired meant being bored or NOT working. Take care all.
This is a good thing Michael. May others find their way as you.
 
decarmine_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
I had always wanted a "chopper", so when I first became aware of the Fury in mid-2018 I thought "WOW! It's a chopper AND a HONDA. That would be PERFECT!!"

I began a search for a low-mileage used one and soon found a 2016 model with less than 900 miles. I bought it sight-unseen and had it shipped from New York to Florida. Seemed like each year's model was a different color and the '16s were matte grey :( but my son is a painter and we (he) quickly painted it Camaro Inferno Orange,

cbdddf1fb2d7d5236e41ec645bd0d31b.jpg


Now I also had a '14 CB1100 STD but once I got the Fury I expected it to become my favored ride.

But gradually riding the Fury became a chore. Motor was great, highway cruising was great, but handling around town, leaving or entering my neighborhood, any slow-speed maneuvering, required greater effort and concentration than any previous bike in my 50 years cycling experience. That long wheelbase, long front end certainly *looked* great, but sure didn't *handle* great. I think I now understood why the previous owner had put on less than 900 miles. I, too, put on less than 900 miles in the year I owned the Fury.

I no loner crave a "chopper"...

BTW: The "cooling fins" on the Fury are PLASTIC. They come off with a couple screws.

By the summer of '19 I had become enamored with the Harley Sport Glide and traded both the Fury and the CB for a new Sport Glide.

c19d0c1bcbe3e4b31d049bdbcdfef450.jpg


While I don't want this to be a "Harley" thread, the Sport Glide handles MUCH better than the Fury...

EDIT: I watched the web site of the Harley dealer to whom I had traded both bikes. The Fury sold within a week. The CB took six to eight weeks before re-selling (although I guess someone seeking a UJM Honda is unlikely to visit a Harley Dealer).
yea you have to really WANT to ride a chopper to put up with the handling of a chopper
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
And sometimes you really don't miss something until it's gone forever.
 
j3gq_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
I had always wanted a "chopper", so when I first became aware of the Fury in mid-2018 I thought "WOW! It's a chopper AND a HONDA. That would be PERFECT!!"

I began a search for a low-mileage used one and soon found a 2016 model with less than 900 miles. I bought it sight-unseen and had it shipped from New York to Florida. Seemed like each year's model was a different color and the '16s were matte grey :( but my son is a painter and we (he) quickly painted it Camaro Inferno Orange,

cbdddf1fb2d7d5236e41ec645bd0d31b.jpg


Now I also had a '14 CB1100 STD but once I got the Fury I expected it to become my favored ride.

But gradually riding the Fury became a chore. Motor was great, highway cruising was great, but handling around town, leaving or entering my neighborhood, any slow-speed maneuvering, required greater effort and concentration than any previous bike in my 50 years cycling experience. That long wheelbase, long front end certainly *looked* great, but sure didn't *handle* great. I think I now understood why the previous owner had put on less than 900 miles. I, too, put on less than 900 miles in the year I owned the Fury.

I no loner crave a "chopper"...

BTW: The "cooling fins" on the Fury are PLASTIC. They come off with a couple screws.

By the summer of '19 I had become enamored with the Harley Sport Glide and traded both the Fury and the CB for a new Sport Glide.

c19d0c1bcbe3e4b31d049bdbcdfef450.jpg


While I don't want this to be a "Harley" thread, the Sport Glide handles MUCH better than the Fury...

EDIT: I watched the web site of the Harley dealer to whom I had traded both bikes. The Fury sold within a week. The CB took six to eight weeks before re-selling (although I guess someone seeking a UJM Honda is unlikely to visit a Harley Dealer).
yea you have to really WANT to ride a chopper to put up with the handling of a chopper
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
Sometimes you don't really know what you want until you get it...
And sometimes you really don't miss something until it's gone forever.
After riding more than 50 years, mostly Hondas, this is the bike I miss the most:

4f09325aa701d25dc898896483876576.jpg
 
Back
Top