Honda Chrome Engine Guards now availabe in U.S.

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Your local Honda dealer can now order the OEM Chrome Engine Guards, 08P70-MGC-N20, $199.95


I like these over the aftermarket because they do not use the engine case mounting bolt. If you were to have a heavy tip-over with an engine guard mounted to the engine case bolt you could crack the engine case, resulting in BIG $$$$ to fix. Engine guards are there to PROTECT the engine, not INCLUDE the engine in the crash.

TINK
 
I used the Over st. st engine protectors, they use both bolts of the frame and not any of the engine mounts.
As you say a heavy tip over or crash could snap an engine mount if the crash bars is bolted to them.
 
I'll submit that if a crash on my SW-Motech case savers took out the engine mounts (the two outer mount points are on the frame with just the middle mount on the engine mount) that would be the least of your worries. The bike would probably be totaled and the rider mostly likely would not be in good shape either.

On the upside; if you think that is BS, you have other choices! :beerchug:
 
I saw the oem honda on eBay I like them.
Houtman_imp said:
I used the Over st. st engine protectors, they use both bolts of the frame and not any of the engine mounts.
As you say a heavy tip over or crash could snap an engine mount if the crash bars is bolted to them.
Do you have a pic of your crash bars ? St do you mean the honda ST?
 
$147.30 on Samurider right now. (¥15,000)
 
Ridem32_imp said:
I saw the oem honda on eBay I like them.
Houtman_imp said:
I used the Over st. st engine protectors, they use both bolts of the frame and not any of the engine mounts.
As you say a heavy tip over or crash could snap an engine mount if the crash bars is bolted to them.
Do you have a pic of your crash bars ? St do you mean the honda ST?
I don't know what st means, but Samurider has pics of the Over crash bars. I put a set on my bike about a week ago. They use two frame bolts up front and a padded u-bolt around the frame in the rear.

http://www.samurider.com/?p=2713
 
I'm seriously thinking of getting engine guards and now have three options to consider.
I think I prefer black over chrome or stainless, but now the question of possible engine damage has been raised.
Decisions, decisions :D
 
Well the answer is to get a collapsing engine guard that crushes instead of transferring a compression load. :angel:
 
TINK_imp said:
Your local Honda dealer can now order the OEM Chrome Engine Guards, 08P70-MGC-N20, $199.95


I like these over the aftermarket because they do not use the engine case mounting bolt. If you were to have a heavy tip-over with an engine guard mounted to the engine case bolt you could crack the engine case, resulting in BIG $$$$ to fix. Engine guards are there to PROTECT the engine, not INCLUDE the engine in the crash.

TINK
+1
I tested the Honda engine guards on my 1983 Interceptor. They were chrome and mounted in a similar way to the above guards. They looked a little odd on a superbike but when I low-sided at about 45 mph, the bike slid along on its side for a good ways before coming to a stop. My knee was damaged, but the bike came out of it with zero injuries. Even the engine guard exhibited only the lightest scuffing, and this from 549-lb. bike. The engine guards were hell-for-strong and kept the expensive parts off the ground and out of harm's way.

If I'd been smart enough to protect my own skin, I'd have avoided the necessity of picking dirt and gravel out of a hole ground in my knee. OK, I had a pretty girl along who did that for me. And she wasn't even pissed off that I crashed the bike.

These Honda guards look to be the same quality and type of mounting. Might need to get me some.
 
Thanks for the word. I just ordered a set through my dealer. At first I thought the design looked 'weak' because it's not 'braced' with an extra tube like some of the other aftermarket offerings, but then I realized,as someone else mentioned earlier, one doesn't want THIS part to be too strong, you want it to be weaker than anything else around it so that it deforms and absorbs more of the shock and thus gives more protection by sacrificing itself 'for the greater ($$$$) good' ™.
 
As of this writing, Honda Canada does not have one accessory available for the CB. I'm hoping this might change in time.
If not, then it's all after market for me.
 
Thread starter
Bummer. But at least you get the beautiful BLUE CB1100 there.

Rocky_imp said:
As of this writing, Honda Canada does not have one accessory available for the CB. I'm hoping this might change in time.
If not, then it's all after market for me.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Well the answer is to get a collapsing engine guard that crushes instead of transferring a compression load. :angel:
The Active crash bars are surprisingly light weigth and apparently have thinner walls than I expected.

The SM Motech crash bars are heavy and built like a tank. They would likely transfer the full load, but like Rboe said, it the engine cases break or frame bends due to a hard impact, cases and frames won't be all there is to worry about.
 
TINK_imp said:
Your local Honda dealer can now order the OEM Chrome Engine Guards, 08P70-MGC-N20, $199.95


I like these over the aftermarket because they do not use the engine case mounting bolt. If you were to have a heavy tip-over with an engine guard mounted to the engine case bolt you could crack the engine case, resulting in BIG $$$$ to fix. Engine guards are there to PROTECT the engine, not INCLUDE the engine in the crash.

TINK
Is there enough room to, perhaps, rest your feet on them too??
I still like the opportunity to stretch out a bit and move the old legs around on a ride..
 
ride4now_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Your local Honda dealer can now order the OEM Chrome Engine Guards, 08P70-MGC-N20, $199.95


I like these over the aftermarket because they do not use the engine case mounting bolt. If you were to have a heavy tip-over with an engine guard mounted to the engine case bolt you could crack the engine case, resulting in BIG $$$$ to fix. Engine guards are there to PROTECT the engine, not INCLUDE the engine in the crash.

TINK
Is there enough room to, perhaps, rest your feet on them too??
I still like the opportunity to stretch out a bit and move the old legs around on a ride..
You could mount highway pegs on them.
 
Back
Top