Honda CBX

jay_criss_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
On the ride today the girl and I rode out to the dealership where I bought my CB from in Alton Illinois. (Was looking to check out some gear, and they are the only shop in my area open on Sundays) The salesman that worked with me on my purchase was kind enough to give us a little tour of the back! According to him, the shop owner is a Honda guy all the way, even though he owns a Harley dealership. So I was able to take a peek at his extensive collection of Honda's. Most of them were tucked away among many other bikes. But the CBX was out where I could snap a couple of quick photos of it.

Here are the links




 
Very nice bike in nice shape, with some non-stock touches that may just reflect the owner's preferences. I noticed this one had a 1980 speedo (85 mph) and seat, black painted engine, no Super Sport stickers, and a chrome fender and engine stays.
 
That gauge cluster is off a later '81 or '82 model bike, one with the single rear shock.
It has a low pressure indicator light that would have been a blank square on earlier ones.
 
It has quite a few "miss matched " parts on this bike , the run in warning sticker were available for a long time. 79 silver from 1980 had reversed comstar spokes.
 
Thanks for posting... always love these. This guy did an elaborate ad with all the pictures
 

Looking through my old pictures and found this. 1980 CBX, with sport kit, a pair of super-bright Cibie lights, VDO gauges, Koni shocks, and a pair of Hella-loud Hella horns. Not a '79.

I loved the looks of the silver '79, but got an inside deal on a 1980. So I took it home, got all the '79 bodywork and the sport kit, out on VDO clock and oil temp gauges, Koni shocks, and a pair of hella-loud Hella horns.

Swapped out the 85mph speedo, and put on silver Comstars. The rear one had been widened by Honda's race team to a 2.50, and was the one used on the Cycle Magazine test bike they ran at Willow Springs. Cheaters!

I justified the crashbars as mounts for the super-bright Cibie lights. I put a couple of red gel filters behind the white covers, and one day, when a 280Z blasted past on the freeway, hit the lights for a few seconds, and he immediately pulled way over to the side of the freeway and stopped. I sailed by, got off at the next exit, pulled those covers off and tossed the red filters as soon as I could. Won't be doing that again! Wish I still had the bike though.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
PD, thanks for posting your CBX = :thumbsup:.... better late than never :)
CBX's never were up to date.
Wait, I'm not PD - that's PowerDubs.
CBX's never were up to date.
Wait, I'm not PD - that's PowerDubs.
OK, thanks pd/Joe:)
 
PB, can you post the CBX pics I sent? I’d like to hear what PD thinks about them. And to all, they aren’t my bikes.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB, can you post the CBX pics I sent? I’d like to hear what PD thinks about them. And to all, they aren’t my bikes.
1d30067fd7fef267a997b86bb2e35f49.jpg

I think this red one^^ is still idling......

7d046090f416fe32b01066025ec62b7a.jpg


c5962c8c83c2eb6d00777cd1d11c748d.jpg


LP, PD = PowerDubs/Josh, pd = pekingduck/Joe

...plus bonus below, 'cos I know, you gonna love it:

5556f2e9691dd1f97b4cebc8530ca4be.jpg


:beerchug:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB, can you post the CBX pics I sent? I’d like to hear what PD thinks about them. And to all, they aren’t my bikes.
Have you forgotten how to post pictures?
 
No, but PB does it so much faster! And he had the pics as I sent them in an email conversation we had the last couple of days.

The pics I took, the first 3, were taken at Honda of Norfolk’s 50th anniversary celebration a couple of years ago. Was a good time, lots of bikes and people. Their service manager/head mech has been there since day 1!!
 
Back
Top