Honda CB500x

jedd_imp said:
Undecider....since you're in Texas, .....a vast, but mostly flat state, with interstates where average speeds are 80+mph, and never ending off pavement dirt roads.... A large ADV bike like a Vstrom/Tiger 800/S-Ten is, imo, ideally suited to our state's geography. If we're talking COLORADO or UTAH or IDAHO, yes, a lighter ADV bike is better served. But in TX, where we have long travel times, long distances to get to....Twisted Sisters, Big Bend, Hill Country, Gulf coast, and Mexico,.... one can't do any better than a Vstrom 650. So give yourself a pat in the back for having the right tool for the right job.
Jedd, I see you are in Austin, so the Hill Country is only about 15 minutes closer to you. Lime Creek Road and 1431 would be lots of fun on the 500x. I agree that any lengthy freeway rides are more pleasant aboard a bigger bike. If I ever decide to get a 500x, I'd sell the V-strom and replace that with a big sport tourer or 1000cc + adv bike. As it is now, the V-strom 650 does everything I want except be pretty. For that, I have my wife...and then my CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Got some seat time in last weekend, and what a blast! Even did some "off-roading" for a mile or so. I'm obviously pretty rusty in that department, but was still fun, and the bike was very stable.
The power and smoothness of the engine seem to be improving every time I ride. I've never had such a noticeable "break-in period" on another bike, but it's been a happy surprise, regardless.


[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/2016-1-18%20069_zpsmgxnaudc.jpg.html]
[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/2016-1-18%20068_zpspvfd1rae.jpg.html]
 
I like those more every time I see them, just not sure I could go back to something as small as 500cc. Heck I'm worried about going back to a 650.

Glad you are enjoying yours.
 
I like that bike more each time I see it - the height and riding position appears like it would be very comfortable. I'm delighted to hear how much you're enjoying yours.
 
quietguy_imp said:
I like that bike more each time I see it - the height and riding position appears like it would be very comfortable. I'm delighted to hear how much you're enjoying yours.
+1, It would be the ideal bike for exploring the miles of graded dirt roads around home. I like it a lot, only change for me would be to more off road oriented tires.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I like those more every time I see them, just not sure I could go back to something as small as 500cc. Heck I'm worried about going back to a 650.

Glad you are enjoying yours.
Believe me, Mickey, that was a HUGE concern for me, too. And I bought it without a demo ride - so I was on pins and needles when I started it for the ride home, knowing that I'd already put my signature on the bottom line! The last time I had a 500cc was 1979 or so...mostly all liter+ bikes (and mostly sportbikes) since, except for my Bonneville, which wasn't far under at 865cc. But I'd compare the FEEL of the power of the 500 to my Bonnie. Very similar, but way smoother.
And I just can't believe how perfectly the size and position of the bike fits me for what ought to be a "baby bike" in my mind, and the 150 or so less lbs. than the CB11 is just icing on the cake. A really fun, frisky, comfortable, cheap bike. I'm blown away at how much I'm enjoying it. Couldn't recommend one enough. :cool:
quietguy_imp said:
I like that bike more each time I see it - the height and riding position appears like it would be very comfortable. I'm delighted to hear how much you're enjoying yours.
It really is - thanks.
 
Impressions now? Still like it? Hows it do on tight 2 lane roads and in the serious hills?

Looking for a bike strictly for the mountains - serious hills, usually paved roads that are narrow and very winding.
Considering mostly single cylinder bikes for the low end grunt - BMW G650 (excellent deal on a 2014), KLR 650, DR650.

BMW scares me on maintenance costs (owned 2 and found dealer service necessary) plus will they continue with a single cylinder?
KLR logical choice - swiss army knife of bikes with millions (?) sold, parts and accessories out the wazoo.
Suzuki DR650 intrigues me, lighter and more narrow than KLR, excellent reputation
Honda - excellent history with the company plus faith in their engineering. Single cylinder 650 Honda doesn't do anything for me.

I won't be riding interstate or long travels. Will explore the back roads that sometimes aren't fully paved. NO serious or even semi-serious off roading. No two up.
 
KLR is huge pig. Weighs almost 90lbs more than the XR650. Get the DR (between the two), good on the street, much better on the dirt than the KLR (personally I think the darn thing is way over rated). BMW's are just too pricy and high tech for my tastes.

A couple friends have the DR and remind me I should have gotten one instead of the XR. sigh....
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
Impressions now? Still like it? Hows it do on tight 2 lane roads and in the serious hills?

Looking for a bike strictly for the mountains - serious hills, usually paved roads that are narrow and very winding.
Considering mostly single cylinder bikes for the low end grunt - BMW G650 (excellent deal on a 2014), KLR 650, DR650.

BMW scares me on maintenance costs (owned 2 and found dealer service necessary) plus will they continue with a single cylinder?
KLR logical choice - swiss army knife of bikes with millions (?) sold, parts and accessories out the wazoo.
Suzuki DR650 intrigues me, lighter and more narrow than KLR, excellent reputation
Honda - excellent history with the company plus faith in their engineering. Single cylinder 650 Honda doesn't do anything for me.

I won't be riding interstate or long travels. Will explore the back roads that sometimes aren't fully paved. NO serious or even semi-serious off roading. No two up.
Still love it. It's lightweight, it's flickable, it's fits me perfectly, and it's just plain fun - not Ducati-at-full-throttle-fun, but just simple fun.
It handles great. The 17" wheels front and rear no doubt contribute to that, but so does the lack of weight, and what feels like a MUCH lower cg than the CB1100. It could probably use stickier tires if you really wanted to do some serious corner carving, but being that's not really what it was designed for, it does that very well. That's really all the riding I do on it - local canyons and mountain roads. Now, I have to say that I'm not pushing it very hard, either. But at a "spirited" pace at most, shall we call it, it feels quite planted, and very easy to flick around. Like a light sportbike, really, though without anything like the power of say, a 600cc supersport to go with it. I'd have to call it literally like a 500cc sportbike. And I can't imagine there's a lot of difference in the feel of the CB500 triplets on the road.
Freeways are NOT its forte. It is way too high in the rev range at those speeds. It's max comfortable speed (to me) is 60-65mph.
I would also not recommend a passenger - it just doesn't have the power, and I would think it would destroy the dynamics of the light feel and handling.
Suspension is definitely made to a price point, though it rides very nicely most of the time - right up until you get to nasty, high frequency stuff, and then you'll feel every jolt. My impression is that most of the problem is in the fork, not the shock, but that's a just seat-of-the-pants guess after only a few hundred miles so far.
And please don't mistake this for a Ducati Supermotard or something; the power is quite modest. But it also feels quite snappy for what you're working with, and seems completely adequate (never thought I'd be saying anything like that) for what it's made to do.
"Dream bike"? No, but lots of fun, and does pretty much what I wanted it to.
I hope that helps!
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
4 Paws_imp said:
Impressions now? Still like it? Hows it do on tight 2 lane roads and in the serious hills?

Looking for a bike strictly for the mountains - serious hills, usually paved roads that are narrow and very winding.
Considering mostly single cylinder bikes for the low end grunt - BMW G650 (excellent deal on a 2014), KLR 650, DR650.

BMW scares me on maintenance costs (owned 2 and found dealer service necessary) plus will they continue with a single cylinder?
KLR logical choice - swiss army knife of bikes with millions (?) sold, parts and accessories out the wazoo.
Suzuki DR650 intrigues me, lighter and more narrow than KLR, excellent reputation
Honda - excellent history with the company plus faith in their engineering. Single cylinder 650 Honda doesn't do anything for me.

I won't be riding interstate or long travels. Will explore the back roads that sometimes aren't fully paved. NO serious or even semi-serious off roading. No two up.
Still love it. It's lightweight, it's flickable, it's fits me perfectly, and it's just plain fun - not Ducati-at-full-throttle-fun, but just simple fun.
It handles great. The 17" wheels front and rear no doubt contribute to that, but so does the lack of weight, and what feels like a MUCH lower cg than the CB1100. It could probably use stickier tires if you really wanted to do some serious corner carving, but being that's not really what it was designed for, it does that very well. That's really all the riding I do on it - local canyons and mountain roads. Now, I have to say that I'm not pushing it very hard, either. But at a "spirited" pace at most, shall we call it, it feels quite planted, and very easy to flick around. Like a light sportbike, really, though without anything like the power of say, a 600cc supersport to go with it. I'd have to call it literally like a 500cc sportbike. And I can't imagine there's a lot of difference in the feel of the CB500 triplets on the road.
Freeways are NOT its forte. It is way too high in the rev range at those speeds. It's max comfortable speed (to me) is 60-65mph.
I would also not recommend a passenger - it just doesn't have the power, and I would think it would destroy the dynamics of the light feel and handling.
Suspension is definitely made to a price point, though it rides very nicely most of the time - right up until you get to nasty, high frequency stuff, and then you'll feel every jolt. My impression is that most of the problem is in the fork, not the shock, but that's a just seat-of-the-pants guess after only a few hundred miles so far.
And please don't mistake this for a Ducati Supermotard or something; the power is quite modest. But it also feels quite snappy for what you're working with, and seems completely adequate (never thought I'd be saying anything like that) for what it's made to do.
"Dream bike"? No, but lots of fun, and does pretty much what I wanted it to.
I hope that helps!
Lots of great tires available for this bike; sizes are ideal for canyon carving. You sold me. I gotta have one. Will be trading the FZ8.

The power, weight, dimensions, and geometry are perfect. Maybe fork springs and thicker fork oil, revalve the rear shock. Reminds me of the Hawk GT, same power, same weight, similar geometry. The new one really has the look and ergos down.

As far as a Honda 500cc sportbike...this was the last great one of that displacement:
[attachment=4834]
 
Well, I did it. Picked up a new to me 2014 CB500x today.
Fun little bike. Best description I can come up with is nimble.

What can I say, it was my wife's idea!
 
Cool beans 4 Paws! Pic please
 
At the beach w/o a bike!
Business trip, or so I'm claiming come April 15.
Yeah Papa Wheely, they are nice little bikes.
 
Back
Top