Honda Care Extended Warranty LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am the happy and proud owner of a 2014 Honda CB1100. I bought it new from a local dealer at what I consider to be a good price - $10150 out the door with an already installed Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on. Once in to sign the paperwork, I was given the hard sell on buying an extended warranty. I had already given that some thought and decided I wasn't interested in it, being convinced that the new CB was very reliable and any problems I'd have would likely occur within the first year which is covered by the standard Honda warranty.

I fell for the sales pitch. It began with an explanation that the 48-month Honda Care plan normally sells for $1500 but that they had a coupon that could be applied, bringing it down to $999. When I balked at that and said I'm not looking to add $1000 to the good price I was able to negotiate for something I'll likely never need, I was given the, "You know what, you seem like such a good guy, let me do this ... what if I can get it to you at employee pricing, $680. That way you have the added protection in case anything goes wrong and it doesn't add much to your payments."

I bought it, it was added to my financing terms, and I had the bike delivered the next day. I came here and shared the great news and started a different thread stating, I hope I didn't just throw my money away on the extended warranty. There's a separate question of the wisdom of buying extended warranties and I know some of you say you've never bought one and have never needed one. I hope to at least be among those who have never needed one. But then banjobart wrote about blue ridge power sports and how if you go through them, you can get the policy for around $500. He's right. And boy does it (self-edit) me off. (I caught myself Ferret. Hope you're proud of me.)

So, for those of you who are on this forum, researching the CB1100 before having made a purchase or you've recently bought your CB and are now thinking of adding an extended warranty, learn from my experience and my mistake.

First, decide if you truly want an extended warranty. Honda offers a one year, parts and labor, manufacturer warranty. HondaCare is the official Honda extended warranty that is also, parts and labor, zero deductible, that starts after the first year and can be purchased for different lengths. The longest is 48 months, which I purchased and which means you are covered for a total of five years.

Next, be prepared for the hard sales pitch when you sit down to sign the paperwork. And be prepared to be lied to. Like I was. I got (and fell for) the whole "we're buddies" routine and although I declined the first price, I fell for the "employee pricing" line.

Know that there's no need to buy an extended warranty right there, right then. The only reason I can think of that you might want to get it through the dealer at the time of signing is if you've decided you want the warranty but don't want to add the extended warranty later by putting it on a credit card and would rather have it added into your financing terms. My understanding is that you have up to a year to add the extended warranty. You would just need to get it through an authorized Honda dealer who would report your mileage and condition of your motorcycle at the time of purchasing the warranty.

Go in knowing what the true price for the extended warranty is. I learned too late that retail price on the 48-month HondaCare extended warranty - the same exact warranty I purchased at the claimed "employee pricing" of $680 - is actually $660. But if you purchase it from John Evans at blueridgepowersports.com, he offers an online price of $479 (at least at the time of this writing). I filled out an online quote request, provided the year, make and model of my bike, and received an email the next days with my options and pricing.

I hope this thread saves at least one person some money. If it does, please come back and let me know. It will make me feel a lot better. And, trust me, I'm not obsessing over this. But I'm hoping to spread the word so others can benefit from my experience. I wish I would have read a post like this when on this forum doing my research.

All the best!
MG
 
(I caught myself Ferret. Hope you're proud of me.) ;) Thank you sir!
 
So you verified what blueridge offers is genuine Honda factory warranty?
And if so, it is a good price, but I would not worry too much if you got stuck buying the one for $190 more, no big deal.
I don't remember my dealer applying pressure to buy the extended warranty, he may have mentioned it and also said I could buy anytime in the first year......
now car sales are different story!!! I've had very high pressure tactics "after sale" to buy warranties, clear coats, etc. so bad once I reported them to the bank who the loan was through telling them about this dealer lying about rates to make the options look better!
The bank called them and they got mad at me, oh well, mission accomplished.
 
Don't beat yourself up over it. Those F&I guys are (literally) trained professionals. They go to school to learn how to get buyers like us to knuckle under and buy those add-ons. And that's where they make big money...often a lot more than they do on the sale. They're motivated.

$600 in the long run isn't that much. Like I said on the other thread, one claim will even it up.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
So you verified what blueridge offers is genuine Honda factory warranty?
And if so, it is a good price, but I would not worry too much if you got stuck buying the one for $190 more, no big deal.
I don't remember my dealer applying pressure to buy the extended warranty, he may have mentioned it and also said I could buy anytime in the first year......
now car sales are different story!!! I've had very high pressure tactics "after sale" to buy warranties, clear coats, etc. so bad once I reported them to the bank who the loan was through telling them about this dealer lying about rates to make the options look better!
The bank called them and they got mad at me, oh well, mission accomplished.
Yes, I did verify that it's the genuine Honda extended warranty. And, I agree, in the big picture, $190 isn't that much more. It's just the tactics used that offend me. If they would have come straight out and said, "Our price is $190 more than what you can buy online but here's the deal - if you buy it from us, it'll be wrapped up with your financing and you'll be paying only $14 a month for it. If you choose the less expensive route, you'll have to put the full amount for the warranty on your credit card and will be paying a higher interest rate if you don't pay off your credit card right away" I would probably have still bought it from the dealership.

Instead, they've left me with the impression that they're dishonest and manipulative. They've lost a customer for life over $190.
Deanohh_imp said:
Cancel and get a refund then buy the cheap one.
Once you include your extended warranty in the financing contract, there is no option to cancel and get your money back. The closest you can come to that is to cancel and then the finance company takes the price you paid for the extended warranty off the end of the loan. Your monthly payments stay the same and you're left without a warranty.
 
I don't understand how you got "Strong Armed" into it. Just say "NO" and that's that. My last new bike purchase got ugly early on when I simply stated that ANYTHING other than the purchase of said motorcycle would break the deal. No extended warranty, gap insurance, discounts on routine service, tire insurance, NOTHING. Salesman kept his cool but lady doing paperwork [cash transaction, BTW] was not pleased. They make money on financed bikes, extended warranties, all that crap. But for what amounts to $14.00 a month, let it go. Its peace of mind. That's hard to put a price on. And its likely you won't need it, it's a Honda.
 
I told the guy trying to sell me the extended warranty "what part of NOT INTERESTED are you not clear on"? The discussion on that ended immediately.
 
I once bought a new car & was told that because it had a lot of fancy electronics, I should buy the extended warranty. I turned to the slime ball and with a shocked face said " I didn't know these cars had this much electrical trouble. It sounds like a poorly built vehicle & I don't want to buy it ! " True story. He had absolutely no response. I did buy the car after confronting the salesman and voicing my anger. Just treat them the same way they treat us. They deserve it.
 
powerdogg11_imp said:
I told the guy trying to sell me the extended warranty "what part of NOT INTERESTED are you not clear on"? The discussion on that ended immediately.
I also was not interested in the warranty (I do all of my own wrenching) and was ready for the F&I guy's inevitable pitch that keeps going even after you say no. I got lucky this time when the F&I guy left me an opening. It went something like this :

F&I : Now lets talk about the extended warranty.
Me : I have zero interest in buying an extended warranty.
F&I : How do you know that if I haven't told you the price?
Me : I have a really nice Bendix/King KT76A aircraft transponder at home. Would you like to buy it?
F&I : (looking confused) Well,,,no.
Me : How do you know that if I haven't told you the price?

That was the end of the extended warranty conversation.
 
I went in with a check made out for what I was willing to pay for my 2013. Whenever they mentioned anything " extra" I said sure, as long as it's covered by this check. On my 2014, they didn't even try.
 
I think everyone' has one of the stories. I bought a big ticket item at Best Buy a few years ago. The salesman followed me all the way to the cashier. He kept on insisting on the extended warranty on the item I told him if you don't get your blank out of here I'm going to call the cops and he asked what for I said harassment well the cashier (older woman ) almost fell down laughing
 
Fretting over $150 on a $10K+ bike that you're going to own for years is just asking for a shorter lifespan.

Enjoy the bike you have, realize that whatever money you lose is made up for later in life, and you'll have forgotten all about this in a month.
 
Okay I've head all the stories of not buying the extended warranty.. Well not that I don't want to run with the pack it's just that I had a plus experience with a extended car warranty. And yes it was a Honda the interesting part was it wasn't Honda's warranty it was from the a dealer that was owned by Hendrick. I would have had to pay twice what the warranty cost me if I did not have it.
Hendricks coverage extended warranty cost was half as much as Hondas. And I have full coverage for another 30,000 miles on my Honda. Also purchased coverage on my Ipad from Apple which included full support yes you talked to people in the USA. Dropped it on the driveway they happily replaced it. Still by far the package I got from the Hendrick dealership which covers everything including the paint was a wonderful value. And I will keep the CB1100 for a long time and that will have a extended warranty as well there is no question in my mind that the bike can take heat but as hot as the starter and generator get I think they will be the weak spot on this Machine. Money well spent..
 
So...you bought a warranty at what you believed to be a fair price, but it became a dealer ripoff when you found out that someone else offered it a lower price? If you find that someone purchased an identical bike to yours for $9000, would your fair price for it suddenly become a ripoff? No one ripped you off...you paid a fair price for the bike and the warranty. No one needs to be warned of your mistakes, because you didn't make any. No one has to be warned about your unscrupulous dealer, because they weren't.

You should stop lamenting and complaining and and warning and start riding. Trust me, you'll feel better.
 
Thread starter
cmyk_imp said:
Fretting over $150 on a $10K+ bike that you're going to own for years is just asking for a shorter lifespan.

Enjoy the bike you have, realize that whatever money you lose is made up for later in life, and you'll have forgotten all about this in a month.
Again, it's not about the money.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...you bought a warranty at what you believed to be a fair price, but it became a dealer ripoff when you found out that someone else offered it a lower price? If you find that someone purchased an identical bike to yours for $9000, would your fair price for it suddenly become a ripoff? No one ripped you off...you paid a fair price for the bike and the warranty. No one needs to be warned of your mistakes, because you didn't make any. No one has to be warned about your unscrupulous dealer, because they weren't.

You should stop lamenting and complaining and and warning and start riding. Trust me, you'll feel better.
It became a dealer rip-off when they lied to me. The dealer was unscrupulous when they stated the warranty retails for $1500 but could sell it to me for $999. Then, when I turned that down, claimed they could give it to me at "employee pricing" which in fact was above what the actual retail price is. After the contract is signed, which can't be undone, you learn the discount you were given was actually $200 higher than the cost it is really available at. In what world is that not being ripped off? In what world is that not unscrupulous?

I'm here trying to help others out and you act like I'm whining. I am over it. I'm enjoying my bike. You're pretty presumptuous to believe that no-one can benefit from my message. But I'm open to hearing more your opinions. I have a feeling you're full of them.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
cmyk_imp said:
Fretting over $150 on a $10K+ bike that you're going to own for years is just asking for a shorter lifespan.

Enjoy the bike you have, realize that whatever money you lose is made up for later in life, and you'll have forgotten all about this in a month.
Again, it's not about the money.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...you bought a warranty at what you believed to be a fair price, but it became a dealer ripoff when you found out that someone else offered it a lower price? If you find that someone purchased an identical bike to yours for $9000, would your fair price for it suddenly become a ripoff? No one ripped you off...you paid a fair price for the bike and the warranty. No one needs to be warned of your mistakes, because you didn't make any. No one has to be warned about your unscrupulous dealer, because they weren't.

You should stop lamenting and complaining and and warning and start riding. Trust me, you'll feel better.
It became a dealer rip-off when they lied to me. The dealer was unscrupulous when they stated the warranty retails for $1500 but could sell it to me for $999. Then, when I turned that down, claimed they could give it to me at "employee pricing" which in fact was above what the actual retail price is. After the contract is signed, which can't be undone, you learn the discount you were given was actually $200 higher than the cost it is really available at. In what world is that not being ripped off? In what world is that not unscrupulous?

I'm here trying to help others out and you act like I'm whining. I am over it. I'm enjoying my bike. You're pretty presumptuous to believe that no-one can benefit from my message. But I'm open to hearing more your opinions. I have a feeling you're full of them.
Again, it's not about the money.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...you bought a warranty at what you believed to be a fair price, but it became a dealer ripoff when you found out that someone else offered it a lower price? If you find that someone purchased an identical bike to yours for $9000, would your fair price for it suddenly become a ripoff? No one ripped you off...you paid a fair price for the bike and the warranty. No one needs to be warned of your mistakes, because you didn't make any. No one has to be warned about your unscrupulous dealer, because they weren't.

You should stop lamenting and complaining and and warning and start riding. Trust me, you'll feel better.
It became a dealer rip-off when they lied to me. The dealer was unscrupulous when they stated the warranty retails for $1500 but could sell it to me for $999. Then, when I turned that down, claimed they could give it to me at "employee pricing" which in fact was above what the actual retail price is. After the contract is signed, which can't be undone, you learn the discount you were given was actually $200 higher than the cost it is really available at. In what world is that not being ripped off? In what world is that not unscrupulous?

I'm here trying to help others out and you act like I'm whining. I am over it. I'm enjoying my bike. You're pretty presumptuous to believe that no-one can benefit from my message. But I'm open to hearing more your opinions. I have a feeling you're full of them.
I'm glad it was mentioned it helped me understand what the purchase price should be. To me it's a good tool to use when I make this purchase before my warranty
expires.
Thanks
 
I understand the points being made about it only being a $190 hit etc. but I too would be upset with the dealer's 'you seem like a good guy' tactics. There's nothing more annoying to me than when a salesman talks like a salesman -- the phoniness drives me nuts. They're not all like that and I walk away when I sense it.
 
Back
Top