Home Towns?

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
I purchased a cheapo "Crosstour" $40 go-pro knockoff and slapped it on to check it out.

This is the first couple of minutes of every ride....my bike's home town. Any pics or videos of your bikes' home-town ride?


 
no video's but here is a pic on my CB down on Front Street, the main road thru town.

ea852193e3772ff87732a4cb88b3b5de.jpg
 
tommymck_imp said:
I purchased a cheapo "Crosstour" $40 go-pro knockoff and slapped it on to check it out.

This is the first couple of minutes of every ride....my bike's home town. Any pics or videos of your bikes' home-town ride?


The "el cheapo" knock-off cams do a decent job, especially when set to at least 720P @ 60Hz. Captures are much improved ...

 
tommymck_imp said:
I purchased a cheapo "Crosstour" $40 go-pro knockoff and slapped it on to check it out.

This is the first couple of minutes of every ride....my bike's home town. Any pics or videos of your bikes' home-town ride?


You just have to run it through some video editing software, mute the sound and stick a little music over the top of it. There is a free and very simple video editor in Windows 10 (PC).
 
tommymck_imp said:
Cool. You gotta love towns with Front Streets or Main Streets
I'll ride down today and get a couple shots
 
Front street in my town which was established in 1814

309d67bff9ea4b74381c23b312012d06.jpg


which runs along along the Ohio river

86ff37e252c1e67b03e9a41117ab87ca.jpg


plenty of places to sit along front street. It's pretty when the river is behaving.

6211e62833cbda51d1eb2c5d4e87f63d.jpg


The 1937 Flood devastated the town and subsequent floods have not been much kinder. The flood level of the 37 flood was into the second stories on many of the homes in town. My son was in High School During the 97 Flood and the Police, Post office and Pharmacy all moved into the High School Gym which is up on a hill above town. Water was over highway on the state route 1/2 mile from Front Street.

from Wiki

"Most of New Richmond lies on the floodplain of the Ohio River, making it vulnerable to severe flooding. Some of the first recorded floods occurred in 1898, 1907, and 1913. In the Great Flood of 1937, the worst natural disaster in New Richmond's history, the village lost 250 homes out of 415 total. Floods in 1955, 1964, 1967, 1997 and 2018 again devastated the village. The March 1997 flood sent 6 feet (1.8 m) of floodwaters "the color of coffee with milk" up Center Street (should say Front Street, there is no Center Street that I know of and I've lived here 28 years) and into the homes of about two-thirds of the village's population of 2,500. Houses were found covered in "several feet of river slime", and the New Richmond School District closed for at least a week. Residents relied on personal boats for transportation between rooftops or for evacuation. Governor George Voinovich visited New Richmond High School, which was being used as a Red Cross shelter for flood victims."

Now new homes are built on stilts between Front Street and St Rt 52

dadc747c4041b1e93c50326fa4a3371c.jpg


I live on the first ridge back from the river about 3 or 4 miles from town, so no worry about flooding at my place.
 
tommymck_imp said:
I purchased a cheapo "Crosstour" $40 go-pro knockoff and slapped it on to check it out.

This is the first couple of minutes of every ride....my bike's home town. Any pics or videos of your bikes' home-town ride?


I had breakfast once at the place right by the bridge on the right and ordered a side of bacon. They brought me what must have been a pound of bacon on a plate. My kids and I couldn't finish it all.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Front street in my town which was established in 1814

309d67bff9ea4b74381c23b312012d06.jpg


which runs along along the Ohio river

86ff37e252c1e67b03e9a41117ab87ca.jpg


plenty of places to sit along front street. It's pretty when the river is behaving.

6211e62833cbda51d1eb2c5d4e87f63d.jpg


The 1937 Flood devastated the town and subsequent floods have not been much kinder. The flood level of the 37 flood was into the second stories on many of the homes in town. My son was in High School During the 97 Flood and the Police, Post office and Pharmacy all moved into the High School Gym which is up on a hill above town. Water was over highway on the state route 1/2 mile from Front Street.

from Wiki

"Most of New Richmond lies on the floodplain of the Ohio River, making it vulnerable to severe flooding. Some of the first recorded floods occurred in 1898, 1907, and 1913. In the Great Flood of 1937, the worst natural disaster in New Richmond's history, the village lost 250 homes out of 415 total. Floods in 1955, 1964, 1967, 1997 and 2018 again devastated the village. The March 1997 flood sent 6 feet (1.8 m) of floodwaters "the color of coffee with milk" up Center Street (should say Front Street, there is no Center Street that I know of and I've lived here 28 years) and into the homes of about two-thirds of the village's population of 2,500. Houses were found covered in "several feet of river slime", and the New Richmond School District closed for at least a week. Residents relied on personal boats for transportation between rooftops or for evacuation. Governor George Voinovich visited New Richmond High School, which was being used as a Red Cross shelter for flood victims."

Now new homes are built on stilts between Front Street and St Rt 52

dadc747c4041b1e93c50326fa4a3371c.jpg


I live on the first ridge back from the river about 3 or 4 miles from town, so no worry about flooding at my place.
I wonder if river side home flood insurance is difficult to come by?


KiowaEagle_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
I purchased a cheapo "Crosstour" $40 go-pro knockoff and slapped it on to check it out.

This is the first couple of minutes of every ride....my bike's home town. Any pics or videos of your bikes' home-town ride?


I had breakfast once at the place right by the bridge on the right and ordered a side of bacon. They brought me what must have been a pound of bacon on a plate. My kids and I couldn't finish it all.
Pardon? Wasted :bacon: ?
 
GO it probably is. I know the govt has paid for several repairs/cleanings and came through after the 97 flood and told people they weren't paying again, but would buy people out if they would move. Not only in this town, but in other small river towns here that would flood out every decade or so. Some did, but most said they were river people and would just deal with whatever comes. In 2018 I rode down to town and took pictures of everyone moving their belongings to higher ground in rented uhauls and pickups. Then when the flood comes and receeds again, they suck the water out, replace the drywall for the first 3 feet , repaint and move their stuff back in. Vicious cycle. When I was kid, we lived near a creek that flooded our house occassionally. As adults my brother and I both bought houses up on hills.
 
This isn’t my hometown, but it’s been my home for the past 20 years. My hometown (San Francisco) is unaffordable, extremely crowded, and doesn’t offer the riding opportunities that I have here, in Evergreen, Colorado. The only issue I have is the 8 months of winter! Today we’re in the 80’s, which is perfect.

This is Evergreen Lake and the Lakehouse, about a mile from my house.

3ddcff0460ba65779a2a36ecfad507db.jpg


5c7652a779aba07aab6cd714e66694ef.png
 
0f9094454ea18cb3881a534211e43af0.jpg

Ride past he historic Pickwick Theatre in my bike’s hometown almost every day I ride to work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
LongRanger_imp said:
This isn’t my hometown, but it’s been my home for the past 20 years. My hometown (San Francisco) is unaffordable, extremely crowded, and doesn’t offer the riding opportunities that I have here, in Evergreen, Colorado. The only issue I have is the 8 months of winter! Today we’re in the 80’s, which is perfect.

This is Evergreen Lake and the Lakehouse, about a mile from my house.

3ddcff0460ba65779a2a36ecfad507db.jpg


5c7652a779aba07aab6cd714e66694ef.png
LR, this is very beautiful house.. what would be its aprox re-sale value in your opinion, just guess, I'm curious ..?
 
PB, this is a public-use facility administered by our local Parks & Recreation dept. It rents canoes snd sailboats in the summer snd ice skates in the winter. It hosts the popular Skate the Lake event each New Year’s Eve and serves wonderful hot chocolate. It can be reserved for weddings and other private events. If it were a residence, I’d estimate the value at $10 million, give or take.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
PB, this is a public-use facility administered by our local Parks & Recreation dept. It rents canoes snd sailboats in the summer snd ice skates in the winter. It hosts the popular Skate the Lake event each New Year’s Eve and serves wonderful hot chocolate. It can be reserved for weddings and other private events. If it were a residence, I’d estimate the value at $10 million, give or take.
...s**t, miscalculated again and short of 5-10 thousand bucks...will look for something as beautiful but less expensive :P
EmptySea_imp said:
I think PB was hoping it was your place and was planning the 2022 CB1100 Rally. ;)
...oh wait, I think it's a good idea ....
 
Here's my town, Orange CA. Fitting that the most artistic representation of all of the city's highlights is a mural on the side of a liquor store.

It's coincidental that my parents lived here when I was born, and that I moved back to this town about 25 years ago, but it's kind of neat, I guess.
 
Back
Top