Hmm hope I didn't do a bad thing

SamCB_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Took my CB out today for about 30 miles mixed highway and back roads, got back and noticed oil was below lower line. I could get it to show in the sight glass with a *very* slight shift to the right side. I immediately topped it off. This is the first oil change which was a nightmare. Must not have been perfectly level when I did it because it was between the lines just fine when oil changed. Have I ruined it?
Not burning oil, no smoke, no drips
 
How much did it take to fill back up? Is this the only ride since you last changed the oil? And why was the oil change a nightmare? Should be only about 10-15 minutes if the engine is warm and oil pours pretty quick.
 
These engines are over built. Doubt a 30 mile ride with slightly low oil would do any damage.

Honestly I' m a gallon guy. It calls for 4.1 quarts with a filter. I warm it up, remove the drain plug, drain the oil, replace the drain plug, drop the oil filter, let it drain, slap on a new filter and put a gallon of oil in it. I know most people want to get it exactly to the top line, but a few ounces one way or another is not a big deal.
 
Thread starter
Frill, nah, quite a few since maybe 500. Only took 1/5 qt to top off.

Ferret haha, new bike so I'm super stressed. Thought I overfilled it last time so re drained and spilled hot oil (took it around the block after filling) all over trying to let out only a little oil. Couldn't get first filter off it was stuck good.
 
The crankcase actually has 5.2 quarts in it, including the transmission. You only drain 4.1 quarts when you include the filter on a regular oil change. If you added 1/5 of a quart (or .2 quarts) to make it good, you still had 5 quarts in the motor (or just over 96% of its rated capacity). I'm with Ferret, your good.
 
There's generally a bit of leeway in oil capacity. If you had insufficient oil pressure (not oil level), you would have seen the oil pressure light come on. No light, no worries.
 
Not a fan of sight glasses... just a slight lean from level gives a false reading. I marked a level spot on the garage floor and place the center stand there. I would much prefer a dipstick while on the side stand method.

And +1 on using 4 quarts to refill... makes it simple and very close to the top line.
 
if you can see oil in the glass w/o bike falling over on you you're probably good. if oil light comes on ADD OIL. once your oil gets about 800 to 1000 miles on it, best to add some till you can see it in the glass w/o tipping. there's a butt load of oil in these bikes.
 
Like ferret said, these engines are overbuilt. I bet you could run a full quart low for a couple thousand miles and not have an issue.
 
stateboy_imp said:
The crankcase actually has 5.2 quarts in it, including the transmission. You only drain 4.1 quarts when you include the filter on a regular oil change. If you added 1/5 of a quart (or .2 quarts) to make it good, you still had 5 quarts in the motor (or just over 96% of its rated capacity). I'm with Ferret, your good.
HUH?
 
mininsx_imp said:
stateboy_imp said:
The crankcase actually has 5.2 quarts in it, including the transmission. You only drain 4.1 quarts when you include the filter on a regular oil change. If you added 1/5 of a quart (or .2 quarts) to make it good, you still had 5 quarts in the motor (or just over 96% of its rated capacity). I'm with Ferret, your good.
HUH?
HUH? Look in the owners manual. An oil change doesn't get ALL the oil out (and I wish it did). It removes about 80% of it when replacing the oil filter. The only way to get 100% of the oil out is to disassemble the motor.

As far as the 96% figure I came up with was having 5 of the 5.2 total quarts equals 96% (5/5.2=.96).

We dilute the remaining quart or so still in the motor with the 4 new quarts we put in at an oil change. If you wanted to get more of that old oil out without disassembly, here's what you do... Change the oil and filter. Take a couple mile trip. Change the oil (not the filter) again. Now you have removed 80% of the 'old' remaining quart out. Here's why...

The couple mile trip caused you to mix or infuse the original new oil change with the oil quart still in the motor, making your oil change a mix of 80% new and 20% old. With the second oil change, now you have removed 80% of the oil again but now the remaining quart that didn't come out is an 80% new/20% old mix. That translates to about 6-7 ounces of old oil out of a 166 ounce total in the motor, a greater peace of mind AND an expensive but extra clean oil change.
befa49df07dd338ef45e30561f51c2ca.png
 
+1 it's why if you've ever looked at the "new" oil in the site glass after just about a 30 minute ride, it's already looking dingy.
 
Back
Top