HJC helmets

GoldOxide_imp said:
The internal sliding visor is pretty old-school now, most with mediocre optics.

The latest generation of helmets use a Transitions visor which switches fast from dark-to-light tint and vice versa, is scratch resistant and has excellent optics properties. No more flipping scratchy ol' internal sun visors.
I am an old school and want to be in control of my helmet....and will stay that way :D
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The internal sliding visor is pretty old-school now, most with mediocre optics.

The latest generation of helmets use a Transitions visor which switches fast from dark-to-light tint and vice versa, is scratch resistant and has excellent optics properties. No more flipping scratchy ol' internal sun visors.
I am an old school and want to be in control of my helmet....and will stay that way :D
I have given most of my scratchy/springy HJC sliding visor helmets away.
 
Whelp, just swung by the dealer and tried on that Torc. I’ve been looking for something vintage style and practical.

Pdedse, hope you have a round head, cause this thing is round. And big. I normally wear an XL in most brands, but a large was on the slightly large size, but doable for my more oval shape head.

The vents are a bit fiddly. But the style is nice, considering picking one up myself!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The internal sliding visor is pretty old-school now, most with mediocre optics.

The latest generation of helmets use a Transitions visor which switches fast from dark-to-light tint and vice versa, is scratch resistant and has excellent optics properties. No more flipping scratchy ol' internal sun visors.
I am an old school and want to be in control of my helmet....and will stay that way :D
Transition face shields help keep the rider's hands where they should be: In control of the motorcycle.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The internal sliding visor is pretty old-school now, most with mediocre optics.

The latest generation of helmets use a Transitions visor which switches fast from dark-to-light tint and vice versa, is scratch resistant and has excellent optics properties. No more flipping scratchy ol' internal sun visors.
I am an old school and want to be in control of my helmet....and will stay that way :D
Transition face shields help keep the rider's hands where they should be: In control of the motorcycle.
Transition face shields help keep the rider's hands where they should be: In control of the motorcycle.
Well, my head has full control of everything, including hands, and still works perfectly.
...but agree that one day everyone will be in transition of leaving this world :rofl:
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Whelp, just swung by the dealer and tried on that Torc. I’ve been looking for something vintage style and practical.

Pdedse, hope you have a round head, cause this thing is round. And big. I normally wear an XL in most brands, but a large was on the slightly large size, but doable for my more oval shape head.

The vents are a bit fiddly. But the style is nice, considering picking one up myself!
Would really like to find a place close by to try on--I'd buy local if they did. And I did see they recommend going a size smaller than normal, but that would be a small for me. I still ordered a medium--we'll see when it gets here. If I have to return, I do.

As for visors, I always order a semi-dark grey--it's a bit dark for night ridiing, but that's rare for me, and I can always put the clear one back on if I purposefully ride at night.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Whelp, just swung by the dealer and tried on that Torc. I’ve been looking for something vintage style and practical.

Pdedse, hope you have a round head, cause this thing is round. And big. I normally wear an XL in most brands, but a large was on the slightly large size, but doable for my more oval shape head.

The vents are a bit fiddly. But the style is nice, considering picking one up myself!
Would really like to find a place close by to try on--I'd buy local if they did. And I did see they recommend going a size smaller than normal, but that would be a small for me. I still ordered a medium--we'll see when it gets here. If I have to return, I do.

As for visors, I always order a semi-dark grey--it's a bit dark for night ridiing, but that's rare for me, and I can always put the clear one back on if I purposefully ride at night.
Maybe one day they'll offer a Transition visor option and the fuss-factor goes away.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The internal sliding visor is pretty old-school now, most with mediocre optics.

The latest generation of helmets use a Transitions visor which switches fast from dark-to-light tint and vice versa, is scratch resistant and has excellent optics properties. No more flipping scratchy ol' internal sun visors.
I am an old school and want to be in control of my helmet....and will stay that way :D
Transition face shields help keep the rider's hands where they should be: In control of the motorcycle.
Transition face shields help keep the rider's hands where they should be: In control of the motorcycle.
Well, my head has full control of everything, including hands, and still works perfectly.
...but agree that one day everyone will be in transition of leaving this world :rofl:
You are indeed blessed, peterbaron.
 
I would like the One from heaven to give everyone a healthy life, happiness and peaceful coexistence of the world in a friendly climate.
 
Thread starter
The Torc T-1 "Iso-bars" arrived today... I was fully expecting it to be too large for me based on a number of reviews that said to order a size down as the Torc helmets run big. The 2 Shoeis I've owned were medium and the sizes for medium are the same between Shoei and Torc, so I couldn't imagine going down to a small.

First, the color looks great in person: the white is paper white and the thin yellow and thicker bronze and brown bars combine well together. Kinda like carmel sauce on vanilla ice cream. Yum.

589bae4e36ed48b79de9111cbbeb1deb.jpg


My first impression on pulling it on was, ay, too tight right smack in the forehead. Shoot...do I return it? But the rest of it actually felt pretty good. A grab of the helmet and pulling left-right, up-down and it seemed pleasantly snug, except that forehead spot. No way would going down a size have worked for me. And going up to a large may ease the forehead tightness, but I'm pretty sure I'd lose the overall desired snug-ness.

ea8cd4b7aea7dc95150ec3dda019a84e.jpg


Took off, put on several times and then left it on for a good 15minutes. The tight spot lessened and I think I've had that before where the fit is nicer once it gets worn some. Besides, it just looks beautiful, and I'm a sucker for form over function. Yet, I've always had boring helmets--solid silver, darker grey, black, maroon--all solid colors, so this time I wanted something elegantly splashy.

68b29271b04616e2375d6ab897d44f9f.jpg


Of course, the real test will be when I ride with it on. Reviews have said there's a bit of wind noise, particularly over 65mph, but we'll see. I usually wear ear plugs to mitigate that anyway.

One aesthetics that I really like is the lack of overwhelming brand name stamped on the front...just a simple brassy "T" right dab in the middle.

96770a98f4cd91ba2f8097802339a39d.jpg


The chin bar is so narrow! I think I can eat/dring with helmet on. If it feels nice enough tomorrow, I'll have to order a slightly darkened face shield.
 
Very nice!

I wear Shoei and you are right about the badging. Big one on the front and one on the back and if that isn’t enough they give you 2 decals in the box :)

Also, I wear a size small in Shoei and it is tight. If you wear medium I can’t see how you would get a small on. Good call on your sizing.

We had a laugh at work about how much one’s head is worth. A co-worker said his worth whatever helmet had a DOT and Snell rating, regardless of cost, cheap or expensive. :D
 
I like the retro look and colour scheme of the helmet pdedse. I hope it ultimately works for you.


What might this little hack be for? Softening the closure of the shield? I wonder if it affects how rain water plays around the top seam?

 
Looks great, but when I tried it, the forehead pressure of the smaller size and the loose feeling of the next size up was the bugaboo. Curious to see what you think when you get some miles on it.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Looks great, but when I tried it, the forehead pressure of the smaller size and the loose feeling of the next size up was the bugaboo. Curious to see what you think when you get some miles on it.
I think you've described exactly my try-on observation as well. Put it on several times the last few days for 5/10/15 minutes, wiggled it around, seeing if I could find a spot where I didn't notice any forehead burn. Was thinking of returning it, but this afternoon I just started pushing on the forehead area from the inside, used a metal spood and pressed into the burn area just to see if that would help...and I think it did.

Decided to ride with it on and see. I don't know the return policy once you ride with it, but I figured it it was close to feeling decent that I would keep it.

Put my sponge ear plugs in and took off for a 40 mile ride. Mainly through city streets at first, 30-40mph. Not too bad, turn head full left / right, just a little bit of air flow due to the way the chin strap funnels air to the left. It felt expectedly tight. Pushed down on helmet from top and that eased the tightness some.

The visor is very smooth to operate. I left it an inch open and at 35-45mph it didn't move at all. Pulled it off / back on numerous times--the more I rode, the more I think it will be ok. Got on the hiway and reached 90mph--felt solid. W/out ear plugs I'm sure it would be substantially noisy. Rode the last 5 miles home without ear plugs, and there is consistent air-rush--do-able for short distances, but anything longer than a 15 minute ride and I'm sure I'd pull over to insert ear plugs. Helmet looks good in the light, the view is very spacious, and the quality of interior materials / comfort is less than that of the Shoei...not too surprising.

So my ancient Shoei of 20 years is done...I was only using it as my commuter helmet for rainy days. My 7 year old Shoei will take over those duties and long trips and this Torc helmet will be my summer / fall helmet for half days or less, unles it conforms to my noggin' better than expected.
 
Arai make some of the best (if not the best) 3/4 helmets that nicely fit oval-round and a few oval heads. Arai's 3/4 helmet offerings are incredibly quiet considering they are not full-face.

You get what you pay for. They are not cheap. I have been using Arai 3/4 for over 13 years and for me the other brands cannot compete in design for a 3/4.

3/4'ers are great in summer heat, and at slower speeds (e.g. an urban scooter) in cold winter time (with neck protection) and no visor fogging.

My Arai 3/4 is the only 3/4 I have owned (and over some full face helmets too) where at freeway speeds the visor is not caught by a wind gust and flips up. This has never happened.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
I like the retro look and colour scheme of the helmet pdedse. I hope it ultimately works for you.


What might this little hack be for? Softening the closure of the shield? I wonder if it affects how rain water plays around the top seam?
I think it does what you suggest. I'm sure I'll get caught in the rain at some point, but I'll use this helmet for fair weather riding.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I like the retro look and colour scheme of the helmet pdedse. I hope it ultimately works for you.


What might this little hack be for? Softening the closure of the shield? I wonder if it affects how rain water plays around the top seam?
GO, my guess is that it is where the ends of the chrome strip come together. It covers the gap and holds them in place.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I like the retro look and colour scheme of the helmet pdedse. I hope it ultimately works for you.


What might this little hack be for? Softening the closure of the shield? I wonder if it affects how rain water plays around the top seam?
GO, my guess is that it is where the ends of the chrome strip come together. It covers the gap and holds them in place.
GO, my guess is that it is where the ends of the chrome strip come together. It covers the gap and holds them in place.
Ah, smart thinking Nach. If true, that would still be, perhaps, unfortunate.
 
Back
Top