HJC helmets

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Hey! My current Shoei helmet is beginning to feel aged, and I need a back-up helmet for when guests who ride visit. Shoei prices seem to have really increased since I last bought one...and before anyone asks "how much is your brain worth?"...let me answer: around $300-350.

I'm looking at HJC RPHA 90s Solid Helmets

[url=https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_helmets_and_eyewear/modular_or_convertible/hjc/rpha_90s_solid_helmets.html]https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_helmets_and_eyewear/modular_or_convertible/hjc/rpha_90s_solid_helmets.html


Anybody have experience with this particular helmet or with HJC in general? Care to comment?

Thanks.
 
Have two of them, one base model with anti fog coating, works quite well and the removable inserts can be washed with clothing in the washing machine.

And two years ago i got a rph70, lot more expensive, very quiet and good fitting whilst easy to put on / remove.
But no anti fog face shields available; "You need to use a pin visor"
Happen not to like pin visors so i put up with a bit of fog inside the visor, also cannot source visors anymore; " helmet is too old and not currently supported"

Did manage to get what appeared to be the last two in Auckland so get some spare visors since this appears to be a closeout sale ( older model ) and would be a shame not to be able to get replacements anymore:(

The visors are very easy to remove by sliding two latches back and that unlocks the visor for a thorough cleaning.

Overall happy with the helmet itself, the drop down sun shade is quite handy too in both of them and glasses are easy to slide in after the helmet is put on.

Something i do when cleaning the visor is to spray glass cleaner on the surface and i wipe in a vertical motion, the sun has polarized light and vertical scratches are much less noticed than horizontal ones, try this out for yourselves;)
 
I bought a helmet like that a few years ago.
After riding for an hr +, I got a headache, so had to upgrade inner padding from L to XL to solve this issue, or I should have bought an XL and have some room for inner padding upgrade to XXL.
It will allow you to fit inner padding one size up or down, otherwise you may need a different size helmet/shell.
Very good inner ventilation, very quiet, has inner sun visor.
The shield won't stay open in any mid position while riding, only wide open, close or locked. Contacted supplier and was told it's normal.
These are "slim head" helmets, so if you have an oval type head spend time on fitting and proper sizing. They fit tight.
I don't use it during hot days.
Generally, I am happy with it.

1e344328367fb59e1cf84f05eac7cebf.jpg


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My other helmet of, a different brand, is L and I can adjust its shield to any open position while riding. It comes with a rear view mirror.
 
I have successfully used a few HJCs over the years. In fact, I still use one exclusively for winter season riding.

They are low budget, but good value offerings. They are feature rich, but they have a limited service life perhaps between 5 to 10 years of use. This includes washing the interior padding. I guess their limitations show up in heavier weight and bulk compared to the competition and lower grade visual optics.

I have had success with Shoei and expect to get 10 years of very good service out of them before replacement. I currently use Arai and Klim Krios Pro as my warm weather primaries.
 
I've worn HJC helmets for well over 25 years. They fit me well and have the features I like for a reasonable price.
 
I have a couple of HJC helmets. More base model but they're light, comfortable and snell rated. For the price you can't beat it. They just lack refinements like a ratcheted visor. One of mine is used exactly as you're looking for, as a guest helmet. The other I used a lot when I had my goldwing because I typically rode with the visor open.
 
I've been using HJC helmets for both the dirtbikes/quads and the CB. I currently daily my HCJ i10. I also added a HJC 10B bluetooth module which is made by Sena specifically to fit into HJC helmets. Great results and very happy with the setup as a whole so far. The 20B module would have been better with better options but I went the cheaper route for now.
 
My wife and I currently have 4 HJCs. Been wearing them for years. Good helmet for a good price. Make sure they fit your head
 
i have hjc stuff i prefur folmer but hard to find now days all my recent hjc feel cheap but are light weight and have the dot etc stickers i think their ok and easy to get shields for

this is the one i have seems great after 2 years has a place for head set things if you need

c781e1d116a7a907b87378d16598cc4e.jpg
 
Way, way back when I first started riding, I wanted a helmet, but didn't want to pay Bell prices. My roommate was selling a helmet cause he'd quit riding. It was a Bell, and of course he wanted Bell money for it. In a bike mag, I saw a Bell ad; "If you have a ten-dollar head, buy a ten-dollar helmet."
Well, my head is priceless, but another bud was also selling a helmet, a bit older, but it was also a Bell, and he took $10 for it. I wore that helmet for years, until my kids came along and I quit riding for 18 years, mostly, anyway. Now I like HJC, they have the best bang for the buck.
 
Thread starter
Welp, HJC is gonna have to wait awhile longer...

About a year ago I was looking at helmets and came across one by Torc, and then I forgot about it, as my back-up helmet still had some life in it--now it doesn't. While searching this last week, I saw it again.

Torc 1 "Iso Bars"


It gets ok reviews, but this one on youtube (different white) seems fair, pointing out shortcomings, yet still liking it for the price.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcDe02Z4j8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcDe02Z4j8


I was leaning towards a white helmet this time, and this one just looks kinda cool. Supposed to arrive Friday.
 
No doubt, nice looking helmet.

For myself, I wouldn't want any helmet that is lacking internal sun visor.
 
I like the way it looks. Kinda retro to me.

Did you notice the note about sizing?
 
I'm cheaper...I used to use electrical tape across the top of the shield for about an inch to inch and a half
 
pdedse_imp said:
Welp, HJC is gonna have to wait awhile longer...

About a year ago I was looking at helmets and came across one by Torc, and then I forgot about it, as my back-up helmet still had some life in it--now it doesn't. While searching this last week, I saw it again.

Torc 1 "Iso Bars"


It gets ok reviews, but this one on youtube (different white) seems fair, pointing out shortcomings, yet still liking it for the price.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcDe02Z4j8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcDe02Z4j8


I was leaning towards a white helmet this time, and this one just looks kinda cool. Supposed to arrive Friday.
"Bullet" style? I like it, but it "looks" hot on warm days.
 
An electrical tape blocks 100% light, and I agree, it does the job.
In this particular case, you should ask MiLord if you need to carry a multimeter with you :P

For my white helmet, I have two shields: clear, which I very seldom use and tinted.

My HJC helmet comes with an inner lightly tinted visor and a clear main shield to which I have added an inch wide light tint strip to meet my needs.

44711eab5027a61a78ae7f24c105dc04.jpg
 
The internal sliding visor is pretty old-school now, most with mediocre optics.

The latest generation of helmets use a Transitions visor which switches fast from dark-to-light tint and vice versa, is scratch resistant and has excellent optics properties. No more flipping scratchy ol' internal sun visors.
 
Back
Top