ClassicVW_imp
Road warrior
I wouldn't normally recommend this, but go for a ride without any jacket. Both your jackets could be the problem. If they are a little too big for you air gets inside and blows you all over the place.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
That was my first thought too but he mentioned trying a couple more jackets already.ClassicVW_imp said:I wouldn't normally recommend this, but go for a ride without any jacket. Both your jackets could be the problem. If they are a little too big for you air gets inside and blows you all over the place.
Definitely. I will try this.ClassicVW_imp said:I wouldn't normally recommend this, but go for a ride without any jacket. Both your jackets could be the problem. If they are a little too big for you air gets inside and blows you all over the place.
That was my first thought too but he mentioned trying a couple more jackets already.kennyw_imp said:That was my first thought too but he mentioned trying a couple more jackets already.ClassicVW_imp said:I wouldn't normally recommend this, but go for a ride without any jacket. Both your jackets could be the problem. If they are a little too big for you air gets inside and blows you all over the place.
Hi there - I'm the guy who recently posted about this same thing, having recently switched from an 07 Bonneville to the CB1100 DLX. I couldn't believe what a wrestling match it was for me just to keep the wind pressure from yanking me back and forth like a rag doll on the freeway. As an earlier post said, I found significant relief by closing my jacket vents, especially at the sleeve openings. But it did not completely cure it. At speeds above 65, it still often felt like so much wind was coming up under my helmet that I was nearly being choked by the chin strap. So odd...never had anything like that happen on the Bonnie, even on a 10,000 mile trip across the US in all kinds of weather and insane wind at times. BUT....Townie_imp said:An update:
Today were good conditions to test some of your suggestions. Temperature was 32degC, and ambient winds were 20 kph.
I tried just a snug fitting T-shirt (ie. no jacket). Big improvement, and I could easily cruise at 100 kph. I pushed things up to 130kph, and "dispatched" a few minivans (you're right, the dirty air from those is brutal). Bike felt planted, but now I was feeling the need to "hang on".
Interestingly at 130 kph I felt my head being buffeted around. So I returned home, and swapped my usual Shoei RF1200 for my Bell Star. Decent improvement again when using the Bell Star.
I bought the RF1200 because the wind noise inside the Bell Star is horrendous. Even with ear plugs that thing makes my ears ring after a ride. But it seems to buffet less at high speeds.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll have to see what snug fitting jackets I can find when things go on sale this fall! Not sure what I'm going to do about the helmets yet.
Thanks for testing this Bob! Your experience is pretty close to mine.Inhouse Bob_imp said:I was thinking about your dilemma the other day while riding. I usually have a windscreen installed and so don't get much buffeting at any speed. But that day I had removed it, so I paid attention. At less than 50 MPH, everything was smooth and I felt quite comfortable. At 55-65, I felt a lot of buffeting from wind and passing trucks. But when I thought it through, I could tell that the bike was stable. It was just me being pushed around. At 80mph, I was just working hard to hold on and didn't have time to think about what the bike was doing. I may need to put on some weight.
Hi there - I'm the guy who recently posted about this same thing, having recently switched from an 07 Bonneville to the CB1100 DLX. I couldn't believe what a wrestling match it was for me just to keep the wind pressure from yanking me back and forth like a rag doll on the freeway. As an earlier post said, I found significant relief by closing my jacket vents, especially at the sleeve openings. But it did not completely cure it. At speeds above 65, it still often felt like so much wind was coming up under my helmet that I was nearly being choked by the chin strap. So odd...never had anything like that happen on the Bonnie, even on a 10,000 mile trip across the US in all kinds of weather and insane wind at times. BUT....kvdv_imp said:Hi there - I'm the guy who recently posted about this same thing, having recently switched from an 07 Bonneville to the CB1100 DLX. I couldn't believe what a wrestling match it was for me just to keep the wind pressure from yanking me back and forth like a rag doll on the freeway. As an earlier post said, I found significant relief by closing my jacket vents, especially at the sleeve openings. But it did not completely cure it. At speeds above 65, it still often felt like so much wind was coming up under my helmet that I was nearly being choked by the chin strap. So odd...never had anything like that happen on the Bonnie, even on a 10,000 mile trip across the US in all kinds of weather and insane wind at times. BUT....Townie_imp said:An update:
Today were good conditions to test some of your suggestions. Temperature was 32degC, and ambient winds were 20 kph.
I tried just a snug fitting T-shirt (ie. no jacket). Big improvement, and I could easily cruise at 100 kph. I pushed things up to 130kph, and "dispatched" a few minivans (you're right, the dirty air from those is brutal). Bike felt planted, but now I was feeling the need to "hang on".
Interestingly at 130 kph I felt my head being buffeted around. So I returned home, and swapped my usual Shoei RF1200 for my Bell Star. Decent improvement again when using the Bell Star.
I bought the RF1200 because the wind noise inside the Bell Star is horrendous. Even with ear plugs that thing makes my ears ring after a ride. But it seems to buffet less at high speeds.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll have to see what snug fitting jackets I can find when things go on sale this fall! Not sure what I'm going to do about the helmets yet.
...fast forward to this past weekend, after I installed a newly ordered Road Comet II. All I can say is that it completely eliminated the back and forth tugging, and the intense helmet lifting I was feeling over 65mph (I run a Shoei RF1200 as well...nice helmet!) I went for an extended ride yesterday, and when I thought I could get a way with it, I pushed the bike up much faster than the law would normally allow. Even up near the "ton" there was no helmet lift, and the side to side wrestling match was absolutely gone. That's at normal seating position. In a tuck behind the screen (I got the normal height, not the touring screen), it's absolutely silent and still, almost like you're not even moving.
So there you have it. The final cure for me was the spendy but beautiful (in my eyes) Road Comet II. I agree with other comments as well that a very relaxed grip on the bars and hugging the tank with your knees at all times also make a big difference. I'll be honest...the day I rode the CB home for the first time (on the freeway, mind you), I was asking myself "oh god, what have I done???" All my worries about wind management are gone now...all smiles from here on out.
I hope that helps. - kvdv