Highway Riding

Townie_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Folks, I'm having a pretty significant problem with my CB1100 at highway speeds.....the wind is putting me all over the place. Even at a moderate 100Km/h on multi-lane highways with other car traffic, the wind pressure is moving me around quite a bit in my lane. It's beyond un-nerving...its scary. Hence, I avoid highways whenever I can.

A bit more detail:

- When I hit 100Km/h on roads without other car traffic (ie. clean air in front of me), things are much more stable.
- Wind screen is the original Dart. No other fairing, only other mod is a small backrest.
- At highway speeds I feel a lot of pressure on my chest.
- Tire pressure is in spec.
- I'm 5'-9", 170lb.
- I haven't felt this phenomena on other bikes I've ridden (sport bikes, Harleys, etc).

I read a previous post about a rider's jacket being the cause of something similar, but with 2 different jackets (mesh & textile), I get the same effect.

Ferret mentioned in that other post that something could be wrong with the bike. Is there anything you guys would suggest I check?

I plan to check the torque on all major components (axel nuts, etc).

Maybe this is "just the way it is", or maybe the Dart windscreen just isn't a fit for me, but I see many posts about folks using this bike as a tourer. I can't imagine doing that given how unstable things are for me at highway speeds.

Thanks for any insight you can provide! My apologies if I put this post in the wrong category.
 
strange, I sometimes admire how well my CB does in high winds and thought it was better than my sport bike, maybe due to less body plastic that the wind can push sideways....
 
That's interesting that you are having such an issue with this bike as I have found it to be quite stable upwards of 80 mph. My commute was 58 miles each way on some very windy roads through mountain passes and canyons and I never had the issue of feeling like I was being blown around. As a matter of fact it was quite the opposite.
I traded from a 750 nighthawk to this bike and it was night and day with how much I was knocked around on the nighthawk compared to the CB1100. I really wouldn't know what to tell you.
I did the commute both without and with a windscreen and 70-80 mph without a windscreen wore me out pretty quickly and I installed a Street Shield EX and it made the ride much more comfortable. After my accident I decided to go a different route and I picked up a Chic Design Road comet 1 with the taller windscreen. It doesn't have as much protection as the Street Shield did, but it's more than enough to keep me happy and not beat up.

Not really sure where to go from here....
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
That's interesting that you are having such an issue with this bike as I have found it to be quite stable upwards of 80 mph. My commute was 58 miles each way on some very windy roads through mountain passes and canyons and I never had the issue of feeling like I was being blown around. As a matter of fact it was quite the opposite.
I traded from a 750 nighthawk to this bike and it was night and day with how much I was knocked around on the nighthawk compared to the CB1100. I really wouldn't know what to tell you.
I did the commute both without and with a windscreen and 70-80 mph without a windscreen wore me out pretty quickly and I installed a Street Shield EX and it made the ride much more comfortable. After my accident I decided to go a different route and I picked up a Chic Design Road comet 1 with the taller windscreen. It doesn't have as much protection as the Street Shield did, but it's more than enough to keep me happy and not beat up.

Not really sure where to go from here....
Do you find the bike stable when there's a ton of dirty air being thrown at you, eg. multi-lane freeway? That's where things get really bad for me, to the point that I get off the highway as soon as I can.
 
Yes. I rode about 58 miles each way on 3-4 lane freeway every day at speeds between 65 and 80 mph with traffic all around with no issues.
Sure I got blown around a little, that's unavoidable, but this bike just feels very planted.
I have been on bikes where every gust of wind it felt like it was going to come out from under me, but not with this one.
 
Several folks have mentioned this problem and it turned out to be their jacket of all things. They had opened up the vents and such to be cool and this created a lot turbulence. Not unlike the drumming you get with modern cars of you have the windows down at speed.

So, just a data point for you to check out.
 
I don't have an answer for you, but I agree with the others. This bike feels very planted to me.
I don't do a lot of four-lane riding, but the few times I do, the only times I get buffeted around is if I'm in the wake of an 18 wheeler or stuck behind a boxy minivan. Vehicles like that really disturb the air.
Depending on the situation I either drop back or dispatch them to get into clean air.
The CB enjoys "dispatching." :D
 
I did a trip to Florida last year with many interstate jaunts at 80mph +. Steady as a rock, in fact this seems a comfortable speed for the CB.
 
While the main highway I ride on regularly cannot compare with a north American freeway, I routinely ride my CB—which has no screen—at the speed limit of 110 kph. Never more, of course. Cough. When the traffic's dense and there are trucks and a few of the 34 wheelers that increasingly litter our roads, there's plenty of turbulence, but I never feel the bike is anything but stable. It can cruise comfortably at that speed for long stretches.

I'm around 5'7" and 165 pounds.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback & advice.

I checked all the bolts & nuts associated with the suspension (axle nuts, pinch bolts, etc), and everything is tight. So for now, I'll assume that there isn't a problem with the bike itself, and go with the simplest explanation that it's related to riding gear.

I'll try out a couple different jackets (over & above the 2 that I have already), and a different helmet, and report back with what I find.

Thanks again.
 
I'm wondering if the condition of your tires is a factor. Maybe I'm just thinking about what tire I'm gonna get soon. Jon Z
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
I'm wondering if the condition of your tires is a factor. Maybe I'm just thinking about what tire I'm gonna get soon. Jon Z
Only 1600Km (1000 miles) on the bike. Tires are like new.
 
In a previous thread on this subject the OP said he "struggled" to control the bike. If you find that riding gear is not a factor, the bike set up is normal (the Dart should not be a problem) then, with respect, maybe you should look at your riding style. I posted this in that thread.

The CB has good stability and can be ridden with confidence. I would say that most riding instructors would say that "over controlling" a bike has the opposite of its intended effect by producing out of synch inputs that reduce the bikes natural directional stability. I am far from an expert in this field and am just quoting people like Keith Code or Lee Parks. And those boys do know what they are talking about. In fact, Lee Parks book "Total Control ..." is a good read for any rider regardless of skill level. I believe there is a new edition available.

Cheers and hope you get this sorted.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
In a previous thread on this subject the OP said he "struggled" to control the bike. If you find that riding gear is not a factor, the bike set up is normal (the Dart should not be a problem) then, with respect, maybe you should look at your riding style. I posted this in that thread.

The CB has good stability and can be ridden with confidence. I would say that most riding instructors would say that "over controlling" a bike has the opposite of its intended effect by producing out of synch inputs that reduce the bikes natural directional stability. I am far from an expert in this field and am just quoting people like Keith Code or Lee Parks. And those boys do know what they are talking about. In fact, Lee Parks book "Total Control ..." is a good read for any rider regardless of skill level. I believe there is a new edition available.

Cheers and hope you get this sorted.
The CB has good stability and can be ridden with confidence. I would say that most riding instructors would say that "over controlling" a bike has the opposite of its intended effect by producing out of synch inputs that reduce the bikes natural directional stability. I am far from an expert in this field and am just quoting people like Keith Code or Lee Parks. And those boys do know what they are talking about. In fact, Lee Parks book "Total Control ..." is a good read for any rider regardless of skill level. I believe there is a new edition available.

Cheers and hope you get this sorted.
Thanks Ptero, that's good advice, and my riding style could indeed be part of the problem. In the twisties I feel very confident with hitting the throttle hard, with hard leans.....feels exciting, and I feel in control.

But on the highway, everything goes a bit crazy. The wind gusts are what seem to be moving me around, and I don't feel nearly as in control as in the twisties, or fast roads where I'm in clean air. I'll try to relax a bit more on the highway, and try to be conscious of over-correcting, but I think it'll be tough if I'm being thrown around my lane.

I'm really hoping I get this sorted too. I love this bike, but limiting riding to non-highways puts a bit of a damper on things in places as vast as Canada.

When I bought this bike, the other contender was the ST1300. In my ideal world I think I'd have both.
 
I have both the ST1300 and a CB 1100. The ST is affected by windgusts and dirty air far more than the CB1100. All that ST body work becomes a sail in heavy winds.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I have both the ST1300 and a CB 1100. The ST is affected by windgusts and dirty air far more than the CB1100. All that ST body work becomes a sail in heavy winds.
Hmmmm....that interesting Ferret. I'd have thought a fully faired bike would have better handling than a naked in strong winds, but what you say makes sense.

I'm motivated to make the CB1100 work for me. If after I do my experiments with riding gear I still can't figure it out, then I'll get a friend who recently had an Aprilia Shiver (also a naked) to take the CB for a spin on the highway & give me his opinion. He's a very experienced rider, and if he's a bit off-put by the CB highway experience then I guess it'll be off to the dealer.
 
If you have already told him what you are feeling his opinion will be tainted and he will feel something. I do test riding for a shop that have bikes with issues that mechanics can't feel, and I insist on not knowing what the issue is before the test so I don't imagine hearing or feeling something.

The ST is like a big flat sided crappie. They put up a good fight because that put their big flat sides against the direction they are being pulled. It's all about resistance to forces.
 
What preload settings are you running on the shocks?
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
What preload settings are you running on the shocks?
Factory-set standard positions:

Front: 3 grooves showing.
Rear: position 2 (1 more than softest possible)
 
Townie_imp said:
kennyw_imp said:
What preload settings are you running on the shocks?
Factory-set standard positions:

Front: 3 grooves showing.
Rear: position 2 (1 more than softest possible)
Factory-set standard positions:

Front: 3 grooves showing.
Rear: position 2 (1 more than softest possible) I have found being set too high will make things react funny. But it doesn't sound like you are there. But it won't hurt to try a softer setting.

When I bought my CB750C, it had 2 extra shocks/springs added to the rear. That thing went all over the road until I removed them and went to a softer setting.
 
Back
Top