High performance rear shock suggestion?

xpacpal1x_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I recently mounted a fork brace and experienced an improvement in handling. As a result, I'm now looking to improve the performance of my rear shocks. I'm a bit surprised that I've modified my bike so much (PCV, Staintune, K&N air filter, Superbrace fork brace), but I've rationalized that I what I really liked was the CB1100 prototype, which looks a bit sportier than our stock bikes, as it seems to have featured better rear shocks (with external reservoir), apparently larger front fork diameter, and maybe even higher performance exhaust. I'm also doing much more canyon riding than straight-line cruising and city driving, so little bits of performance here and there matter to me.

I care about how the overall bike will look, and don't want to depart very far from the silver/chrome/black/red colors that the stock bike has...and that seems to rule out several rear shock alternatives I found discussed on other threads.

Again, I'd prefer a high performance rear shock that looks similar to stock (chrome/silver without external reservoir) or similar to the CB1100 prototype (chrome/silver with external reservoir). I also don't want to mill out a portion of the grab bars, as I believe at least one forum member did to provide clearance for external reservoirs. Is this a lot to ask for? Can anyone provide suggestions?
 
Thread starter
Okay, very nice...I could live with those. Ack-CB11...could you provide a model number and other necessary specifications? Are these adjustable? Where would you guess this model of Ohlin ranks on the quality spectrum? Are chrome springs a custom order? Assuming nobody posts a better alternative, how do I proceed...are these sold by a dealer network (I am in Los Angeles), or do I contact Ohlin directly?
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
A few of us got them from here:
Expert Motorcycle Suspension Specialist | Super Plush Suspension Oakland CA
When I ordered mine the chrome spring was N/A. It's avaliable now,
I think the #'s are HO-010 model s36 something???
Your weight will decide what spring rate for your riding.
They can set you up.
Ohlins are the best and are adjustable too.
What adjustments are available on this model? Pre-load, compression, and rebound?
 
AzBob_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
A few of us got them from here:
Expert Motorcycle Suspension Specialist | Super Plush Suspension Oakland CA
When I ordered mine the chrome spring was N/A. It's avaliable now,
I think the #'s are HO-010 model s36 something???
Your weight will decide what spring rate for your riding.
They can set you up.
Ohlins are the best and are adjustable too.
What adjustments are available on this model? Pre-load, compression, and rebound?
Preload, rebound and a little height, no compression.
 
Thread starter
I went ahead and ordered these Ohlins rear shocks, relying somewhat on my hope that Ack-CB11 has a good sense for these things and the fact they appear similar to the stock rear shocks. I insisted on the chrome spring, and that seems to have extended my wait time to three weeks, as these must be sourced from Sweden.

Questions for Ack-CB11:

1. Have you mounted your shocks upside down? Is there an upside down?

2. At least initially, I plan to install these rear shocks, but not modify the front springs. Did you proceed in this manner? Or did you modify front and rear at the same time. Any opinion on what I am likely to encounter with Ohlins on the rear and stock springs up front?
 
I would like to install Piggy Back Ohlins but so far they are not avaible without having to "modify" the rear grab bar.
Hopefully with the 2014 coming to the USA they will make them.
They can use certain parts of their other shocks to make one suitable for the CB1100.
I have had dealings with a guy whom rebuilds and modifies Ohlins for race bikes and he knows his stuff!
 
xpacpal1x_imp said:
I went ahead and ordered these Ohlins rear shocks, relying somewhat on my hope that Ack-CB11 has a good sense for these things and the fact they appear similar to the stock rear shocks. I insisted on the chrome spring, and that seems to have extended my wait time to three weeks, as these must be sourced from Sweden.

Questions for Ack-CB11:

1. Have you mounted your shocks upside down? Is there an upside down?

2. At least initially, I plan to install these rear shocks, but not modify the front springs. Did you proceed in this manner? Or did you modify front and rear at the same time. Any opinion on what I am likely to encounter with Ohlins on the rear and stock springs up front?
1. They are right-side up. I'm not sure if upside down would hurt anything. I've seen res types mounted with the res on the bottom?
2. I did the shocks 1st. The rear will feel so much better it makes the front seem suddenly horrible. Doing just the shocks is fine, depends on how you like the ride. If you do the springs use 10w inplace of the 15.
Webike has a valve kit listed now also to complete the front out.
Houtman_imp said:
I would like to install Piggy Back Ohlins but so far they are not avaible without having to "modify" the rear grab bar.
Hopefully with the 2014 coming to the USA they will make them.
They can use certain parts of their other shocks to make one suitable for the CB1100.
I have had dealings with a guy whom rebuilds and modifies Ohlins for race bikes and he knows his stuff!
I'd ask your Ohlins guy about mounting the piggy back style upside down if you have to have the Ohlins.
If not, Hyperpro makes 2 colors of piggies that can be mounted res up.
 
I called David at fastbikeindustries.com and he said yers that the Ohlins piggy back shocks can be mounted upside down.
This coming Monday I have to go for turp surgerie but as soon as I can I will visit him and see about the possibilities of the different Ohlins shocks suitable for our bikes.
I live close to the Ohlins headquarters in Hendersonville in NC.
This year I also want to buy a 2014 CB1100 so I have to be carefull not spending a lot on upgrading the shocks on my 2013.
Often the first 8000 to 10000 miles the oem shocks are not too bad and than it will be time to change and upgrade them.
I have piggy back Ohlins on my 94 and 95 CB1000 and love the road holding and ride with them,especially having a not so good back.
 
I just order a set of HO-010 with black springs from Dynoman Performance out of Austin TX ( DYNOMAN PERFORMANCE - Motorcycle Performance Parts ) for $779 plus shipping. Best price I've seen.

My wife sudendly had other plans for the money for my 2014 CB1100 purchase. :(

The final straw was when she jumped out of a deep ice rut on my long wooded dirt driveway and hit a tree. So we are getting a new driveway this spring. :D

I'm going to finish modifying my 2013 and save up for a 2015.

Motogear headers next!
 
Get the D8 out and widen that driveway, if it cost you a bike.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good luck with that Turp surgery, that cannot be fun.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Take it from someone who also lives out in the woods with a fairly long winding curvy downhill driveway..one of the best things I ever did was to have the drive blacktopped ( the black absorbs heat and helps melt the snow) and to buy a big azz self propelled snowblower ...although for your drive I think it would be a big 4 wd ATV with a snow blade. Might as well have a little fun while you are clearing the white death off the drive. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top