High oil level

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi folks, Just asking if with fuel injection is it possible that petrol could be entering the sump because my oil level has risen and is now above the sight glass. It was near the bottom line before and nothing as been added.

I have not started any investigations as yet as only noticed it last time I put the bike away(cold) Its on my to do list over next few days starting with taking some oil out and of course smelling for petrol.

I had this problem with a XJR1300 carb model and found the petcock wasn't closing enough and a carb float valve wasn't seating right so the sump filled with petrol when the bike was parked.
I didn't think this could happen with fuel injection ???
Mixagon
 
My first thought is to put the bike on the center stand and check the oil (after you do the smell test). Then fire it up and let it warm up for 3-5 minutes. Then let it sit for 2-3 minutes and check the oil. This from the service manual. If low add more.

But it takes a while for ALL the oil to drain down and it doesn't take much to fill past the line. You think all is good and later you go back and look and its' too full. Both the CB and my ST1300 are aggravating in this way.

Others may have more info.
 
Do you always check oil level with the bike on its centerstand in the EXACT same spot? It takes very little difference in side-to-side floor level to change the apparent oil level in the sight glass. I've seen that happen for years on my old BMW K-bikes and it's true for my CB as well.

It's extremely unlikely that the FI on the CB is dumping gas into your oil, unless there is something terribly wrong. I think you'd be aware of running problems if that were occurring.
 
and again this is why I put the right amount of oil according to spec in when I change it (so I KNOW how much oil is in there) and don't worry about it again until the next oil change 4,000 miles later unless I see oil spots on the garage floor or smoke pouring out the tail pipe. If it ain't leaking or burning, the right amount of oil is in there, no matter what you see in the sight glass.

How many of these "the oil level in my site glass window is over full or under filled" (there's one of each on the front page right now) threads have we had in the last 8 years? Yet not a single thread about a Honda CB 1100 engine blowing up due to an oil issue ..... or any other issue for that matter.
 
As long as we need oil in our vehicles, it seems the legacy of oil myths will never cease. :-/

The next generation of offspring are compelled to reinvent the concern.
 
I do it the same way as Ferrett , use 4 quarts , take 4 ounces out of the last quart and put it in the bike and do NOT worry !
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
and again this is why I put the right amount of oil according to spec in when I change it (so I KNOW how much oil is in there) and don't worry about it again until the next oil change 4,000 miles later unless I see oil spots on the garage floor or smoke pouring out the tail pipe. If it ain't leaking or burning, the right amount of oil is in there, no matter what you see in the sight glass.

How many of these "the oil level in my site glass window is over full or under filled" (there's one of each on the front page right now) threads have we had in the last 8 years? Yet not a single thread about a Honda CB 1100 engine blowing up due to an oil issue ..... or any other issue for that matter.
Yes and so you should put the right amount of oil in but whoever changed my oil last (Honda Dealer) actually overfilled it so what would you do in this case.
Of course no one knows by how much its overfilled so you could have got your single case of engine damage if not checked. So I removed 500ml of overfill today and now the level is correct.
cookiemech_imp said:
Do you always check oil level with the bike on its centerstand in the EXACT same spot? It takes very little difference in side-to-side floor level to change the apparent oil level in the sight glass. I've seen that happen for years on my old BMW K-bikes and it's true for my CB as well.

It's extremely unlikely that the FI on the CB is dumping gas into your oil, unless there is something terribly wrong. I think you'd be aware of running problems if that were occurring.
Yep always in the same place for the last 20 years and checked regular with a spirit level.
I was just asking if FI could leak fuel into the sump when parked as per carb models can and do sometimes as I relayed about my XJR1300 but no one seems to know.
Ok checked today and no fuel in the sump it was just oil overfill by a Honda dealer they are far from perfect you know.
500ml taken out and now everything ok, I guess some will say it would have been ok to leave it in but until you start taking it out you don't know how much overfill there is so have to check, anyway all sorted now and next oil change will be done by me and be correct amount.
Mixagon
 
Mixagon, I’m pleased you sorted your problem. I can’t answer your question about whether it’s possible for fuel injected bikes to leak petrol into the sump, but I’m pretty sure no one on this forum has reported it happening on a 2010 and later CB1100. Oil leaking from a K&N filter is a different story.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
and again this is why I put the right amount of oil according to spec in when I change it (so I KNOW how much oil is in there) and don't worry about it again until the next oil change 4,000 miles later unless I see oil spots on the garage floor or smoke pouring out the tail pipe. If it ain't leaking or burning, the right amount of oil is in there, no matter what you see in the sight glass.

How many of these "the oil level in my site glass window is over full or under filled" (there's one of each on the front page right now) threads have we had in the last 8 years? Yet not a single thread about a Honda CB 1100 engine blowing up due to an oil issue ..... or any other issue for that matter.
Yes and so you should put the right amount of oil in but whoever changed my oil last (Honda Dealer) actually overfilled it so what would you do in this case.
Of course no one knows by how much its overfilled so you could have got your single case of engine damage if not checked. So I removed 500ml of overfill today and now the level is correct.
cookiemech_imp said:
Do you always check oil level with the bike on its centerstand in the EXACT same spot? It takes very little difference in side-to-side floor level to change the apparent oil level in the sight glass. I've seen that happen for years on my old BMW K-bikes and it's true for my CB as well.

It's extremely unlikely that the FI on the CB is dumping gas into your oil, unless there is something terribly wrong. I think you'd be aware of running problems if that were occurring.
Yep always in the same place for the last 20 years and checked regular with a spirit level.
I was just asking if FI could leak fuel into the sump when parked as per carb models can and do sometimes as I relayed about my XJR1300 but no one seems to know.
Ok checked today and no fuel in the sump it was just oil overfill by a Honda dealer they are far from perfect you know.
500ml taken out and now everything ok, I guess some will say it would have been ok to leave it in but until you start taking it out you don't know how much overfill there is so have to check, anyway all sorted now and next oil change will be done by me and be correct amount.
Mixagon
Good find Mixagon. 500 mL sounds like a significant overfill.
 
Holy cow that's about 17 ounces. Yep that's a significant over fill and I don't know how anybody, especially a mechanic at a shop, managed to overfill that badly. Glad you got it straightened out.
 
With age cometh wisdom (or something like that). You know, I do have my suspicions that sometimes when garages take on apprentices, or new staff to try out that unfortunately they will get someone that wants a job, but doesn’t really care TBH or doesn’t (yet) know what they are doing. So if they are not supervised properly or mentored then you end up with Mixagon’s overfill. They may only last 3 weeks before getting fired but how many things do they balls up during that time? We would all expect a dealer to do the job properly, for a fair price. No quibbles. It’s as basic as basic gets doing an oil change on a CB so how else does it happen.....? Maybe there’s already been a poll but I imagine a fair number of CB owners (self included) do as much of our own servicing as we can, because we take our time and do it right.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Mixagon, I’m pleased you sorted your problem. I can’t answer your question about whether it’s possible for fuel injected bikes to leak petrol into the sump, but I’m pretty sure no one on this forum has reported it happening on a 2010 and later CB1100. Oil leaking from a K&N filter is a different story.
That's good to know thanks, I will keep researching and hopefully find its not possible with FI
Once its happened to you and you see oil above the glass obviously it comes to mind straight away. That carb XJR I mentioned cost me a lot of money and time to put right with a long learning curve, wouldn't want to go through that again.
 
That is all possible, but IMHO anything like this will always be the fault of the foreman. Not training the newcomers, not watching them, will cost money, a lot of money, and again money. Teaching them right in the first place is equivalent to an endless stream of income.

Jfro5687_imp said:
With age cometh wisdom (or something like that). You know, I do have my suspicions that sometimes when garages take on apprentices, or new staff to try out that unfortunately they will get someone that wants a job, but doesn’t really care TBH or doesn’t (yet) know what they are doing. So if they are not supervised properly or mentored then you end up with Mixagon’s overfill. They may only last 3 weeks before getting fired but how many things do they balls up during that time? We would all expect a dealer to do the job properly, for a fair price. No quibbles. It’s as basic as basic gets doing an oil change on a CB so how else does it happen.....? Maybe there’s already been a poll but I imagine a fair number of CB owners (self included) do as much of our own servicing as we can, because we take our time and do it right.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
As long as we need oil in our vehicles, it seems the legacy of oil myths will never cease. :-/

The next generation of offspring are compelled to reinvent the concern.
Like what kind of rice best dries out a cell phone?
 
Back
Top