High beam during day light?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
On a motorcycle, do most people use or avoid using their high beam during day light hours? I was thinking it may be safer, but at same time, don't want to be rude to other drivers or even wear out the bulb sooner...any thoughts?
 
I am on the fence about this. Seems the high beam would get the attention of cage drivers but a high beam can also be blinding at times, even on a bright day. I leave mine on low beam.
 
Low beam here during daylight
 
I always run the high beam during daylight hours for safety reasons as I have no extra lights on my CB1100. The high & low beam elements in these halogen bulbs burn individually - not together on HB. If the high beam element burns out, I can still ride the bike day or night until I can replace the bulb. If the low beam is first to go, I can't ride at night in traffic situations.

~ The Bee
 
We are often a little over-governed here in Oz. An extract from the NSW road rules:

A driver must not use their headlights on high beam if travelling:
• less than 200m behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction
• less than 200m from an oncoming vehicle.

This also applies to a "rider".

Cheers
 
It depends... Normally I do not use high beam during day times. But sometimes during a trip I notice that a lot of “dumb" (for whatever reason) people populate the roads I use - in such cases I activate the HB to be safer. My priority is quite simple: It is better to be rude and safe than polite and not safe.
 
It's legal in Illinois and, I presume in surrounding states since I have never been stopped for it. Also, I only recall being flashed by an oncoming driver a couple of times over the last 3 years. Since I get flashed almost every time I forget to dim my car's high beams, I assume that I am not blinding the oncoming drivers on my motorcycle.

Ya know...come to think of it, I have rarely been blinded by a motorcycle's headlight when in my car and I'm sure that many riders have their high beam on. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. High beams on during the day...as needed and as appropriate at night.
 
Low beam during the day. If there is a special need for extra visibility, I'll wiggle the handlebars (motion of the headlight catches the eye) or even give a quick flash of the high beam.
 
I'd say about 80% of the time I have my high beams on. If I'm riding with the sun at my back I'll always have them on. I think it helps the cagers see me.
 
Back
Top