That's very good advice. I'll keep practising my SIAM. 

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

I'd have told him "Better misunderstood and alive than dead."Houtman_imp said:Outcome :no problem but he said that it could be misunderstood .
Houtman, can you offer any suggestions with respect to Helite Turtle Back sizing? Are the sizing charts reasonably accurate or would you buy a size larger or smaller next time? After decades of feeling invulnerable, I'm ready to add one to my ATGATT.Houtman_imp said:I wear an yellow Aerostich Road Crafter jacket and over this I put a High Viz Helite Turtle Back air vest.
I do 95% of my riding in Queens and Brooklyn, NY, so big part of surviving is being seen.2017EX_imp said:I thought I would throw a couple of Hi Viz gear options out there for discussion. The subject for me was prompted by the following: Last fall, on a clear bright sunny day, I was sitting on my bike at a full stop with both feet on the ground, front brake on, and first in line at a stop light minding my own business. All of a sudden, I felt a jolt from behind me. It turns out that a middle aged woman in an SUV had bumped me from the rear. Long story shorter, my rear fender, tail light housing, and license plate bracket all had to be replaced ( fortunately she had full coverage insurance ). Thankfully, it did not knock me down. The first words out of the woman's mouth were " I did not see you", although I suspect the real reason was that she had probably been texting while driving. This episode got me to thinking about some Hi Viz gear ( yeah I know if a car driver is not paying any attention at all, Hi Viz will probably not matter ) that might increase my odds of being seen.
Hi Viz Vest: After much online research, I found a Fieldsheer On Base 2.0 Hi Viz orange mesh vest on close out. Unfortunately most vests of this type ( unless it is a cheap road construction type that flaps in the wind ) are over priced for what they actually are, IMHO. The vest was originally intended for military personnel for riding their bikes on base, and so has a military I.D. holder with clear window on the left chest. I removed the holder by carefully clipping the thread it was sewn onto the vest with. There are 3 sizes, SM- Med, Med-LG, and Xl-3Xl. The Med-Lg fit perfectly over my size Large jacket. There are also several silver reflective strips front and back, as well as a zip pocket on the left chest that will fit cell phone, DL, and Insurance Card. An internet search has them on close out as low as $29 ( original MSRP $60+ ). I got mine at Revzilla.com, price matching another online dealer. Motorcycle Vests - RevZilla . I rarely ride without it now, and know it may or may not increase my chances of being seen, but at least I have done something proactive.
Helmet: I grew up in Illinois, just outside Chicago. In 1967 when I first started riding, not only was there a helmet law ( later repealed ) but the law also required a silver reflective tape strip be applied to the back of the helmet. The strip was about 4-5 inches long, and roughly 1.5 inches wide. I had not thought about that tape strip in years, until I got bumped from behind. The tape, I believe, is made by 3M, cheap and readily available in small quantities. As a result, and although I do not ride much at night if I can avoid it, I have been considering adding some carefully applied/positioned reflective tape strips to the back of my helmet.
Does anyone else have any experience with the High Visibility gear thing, and/or thoughts about helmet reflective strips and Hi Viz vests?
I get cut off all the time. I don't have a long commute and commuting might get old if I did, but I'm used to keeping an eye out for motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. I actually think it helps me be a better rider in rural areas.Banned_imp said:I don't know how you guys that live and commute in cities do it, I went into the city last week (a rare occurrence) to take my wife for a ride and to breakfast and got cut off twice in 10 minutes.
No thanks.
Excellent illustration ferret. I was making the same observations at the Berea rally. Originally I thought that my bright yellow Shoei helmet would provide ample hi-viz area. However, riding near the end of our group rides, I could see you guys (and Mrs. rickcb!) wearing hi-vis jackets/vests (in addition to hi-viz helmets) which gave you a much larger hi-viz area. I think this is important for another motorist to be able to see you over a variety of distances and situations, vs a yellow helmet and headlight alone.The ferret_imp said:looking at this photo from the rally I imagine it's pretty easy to see how visible the riders in Hi Viz are compared to the rider in the black jacket with red helmet. If not for his headlight being on he would be nearly invisible imo. For me, the rider with the hi viz jacket and helmet is easily the most visible. This is how we would look to a car driver coming towards us..thinking about turning left . The white helmeted rider in the background's helmet is easily seen, but the gray outfit is hard for me to see.
![]()