Hesitation? Not running smoothly?

mininsx_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My '13 stock CB1100 doesn't run as smoothly as it should and I know most don't have this problem but some of us do. I might have found an answer, and I don't know if this will work or not (I haven't tried it yet) but I'm going to soon. I found this on the Concours Owner's Group message board. One of the guys there was complaining about rough running and he got a reply: "Sure sounds like the TPS. Turn the bike on, do not start it. Twist the throttle on full, roll off full, do it twice. Turn off bike, turn back on and start. Go for a ride and see if it works. Report back and tell me I am a motorcycle god, or worthless POS ;) FWIW, this works on GSs that have a similar problem with the TPS, ECU will read the full on/off position and do a rest to the current values. Same holds true when calibrating the PCV or PCIII."
Here's a link to the entire thread if you want to have a look:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,54254.0.html
 
Yeah. That works on BMWs, I wasn't aware of other brands.
Two comments- roll the throttle slowly when opening and closing, and, if this reset
clear things up, it's not immediate. It may take a 30 or 50 mile ride before it clears up.
 
That worked for Suzuki DL1000's and 650's, except it's 5 throttle cycles for them. It really does reset the TPS. If the bike starts running really rough after an hour or so, you pull off, cycle the ignition, do the reset routine, restart. and they'd run like new again.

Unfortunately the TPS Suzuki used were a high-failure part. Apparently most TPS have a copper path to that's a friction contact that wears and/or gets dirty. Eventually the reset wouldn't work and you'd have to replace one or both of them.
 
Thread starter
I tried it yesterday then took a 35 mile ride. It seemed smoother but I honestly don't know if it's my imagination or not. :-/
I wonder if this procedure or something like it is listed in the shop manual?
 
mininsx_imp said:
My '13 stock CB1100 doesn't run as smoothly as it should and I know most don't have this problem but some of us do. I might have found an answer, and I don't know if this will work or not (I haven't tried it yet) but I'm going to soon. I found this on the Concours Owner's Group message board. One of the guys there was complaining about rough running and he got a reply: "Sure sounds like the TPS. Turn the bike on, do not start it. Twist the throttle on full, roll off full, do it twice. Turn off bike, turn back on and start. Go for a ride and see if it works. Report back and tell me I am a motorcycle god, or worthless POS ;) FWIW, this works on GSs that have a similar problem with the TPS, ECU will read the full on/off position and do a rest to the current values. Same holds true when calibrating the PCV or PCIII."
Here's a link to the entire thread if you want to have a look:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,54254.0.html
I just tried this and I sincerely believe it works! (I actually twisted my throttle to the stop three times). I immediately took my bike for a short, 10 mile ride, and I could feel a difference the first time I let the clutch out leaving the driveway. My bike runs better everywhere below 3,000 RPM, and gone is the stuttering (mis-firing) between 2K and 3K at light engine loads. I am not going to question how and why it works, it just did on my bike. Maybe it has something to do with this being the first time the throttle on this bike has ever been twisted all the way open and the TPS needing this to recalibrate? All I can say is a great big "Thank You!" to mininsx!
 
Dave_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
My '13 stock CB1100 doesn't run as smoothly as it should and I know most don't have this problem but some of us do. I might have found an answer, and I don't know if this will work or not (I haven't tried it yet) but I'm going to soon. I found this on the Concours Owner's Group message board. One of the guys there was complaining about rough running and he got a reply: "Sure sounds like the TPS. Turn the bike on, do not start it. Twist the throttle on full, roll off full, do it twice. Turn off bike, turn back on and start. Go for a ride and see if it works. Report back and tell me I am a motorcycle god, or worthless POS ;) FWIW, this works on GSs that have a similar problem with the TPS, ECU will read the full on/off position and do a rest to the current values. Same holds true when calibrating the PCV or PCIII."
Here's a link to the entire thread if you want to have a look:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,54254.0.html
I just tried this and I sincerely believe it works! (I actually twisted my throttle to the stop three times). I immediately took my bike for a short, 10 mile ride, and I could feel a difference the first time I let the clutch out leaving the driveway. My bike runs better everywhere below 3,000 RPM, and gone is the stuttering (mis-firing) between 2K and 3K at light engine loads. I am not going to question how and why it works, it just did on my bike. Maybe it has something to do with this being the first time the throttle on this bike has ever been twisted all the way open and the TPS needing this to recalibrate? All I can say is a great big "Thank You!" to mininsx!
I just tried this and I sincerely believe it works! (I actually twisted my throttle to the stop three times). I immediately took my bike for a short, 10 mile ride, and I could feel a difference the first time I let the clutch out leaving the driveway. My bike runs better everywhere below 3,000 RPM, and gone is the stuttering (mis-firing) between 2K and 3K at light engine loads. I am not going to question how and why it works, it just did on my bike. Maybe it has something to do with this being the first time the throttle on this bike has ever been twisted all the way open and the TPS needing this to recalibrate? All I can say is a great big "Thank You!" to mininsx!
Dave i know you have been having issue, glad the bike feels better. I tried this myself for the heck of it and did notice the bike pulled out of the hole a bit better with 1/4 throttle inputs. Glad it work out and hope it holds for you.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
My '13 stock CB1100 doesn't run as smoothly as it should and I know most don't have this problem but some of us do. I might have found an answer, and I don't know if this will work or not (I haven't tried it yet) but I'm going to soon. I found this on the Concours Owner's Group message board. One of the guys there was complaining about rough running and he got a reply: "Sure sounds like the TPS. Turn the bike on, do not start it. Twist the throttle on full, roll off full, do it twice. Turn off bike, turn back on and start. Go for a ride and see if it works. Report back and tell me I am a motorcycle god, or worthless POS ;) FWIW, this works on GSs that have a similar problem with the TPS, ECU will read the full on/off position and do a rest to the current values. Same holds true when calibrating the PCV or PCIII."
Here's a link to the entire thread if you want to have a look:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,54254.0.html
I just tried this and I sincerely believe it works! (I actually twisted my throttle to the stop three times). I immediately took my bike for a short, 10 mile ride, and I could feel a difference the first time I let the clutch out leaving the driveway. My bike runs better everywhere below 3,000 RPM, and gone is the stuttering (mis-firing) between 2K and 3K at light engine loads. I am not going to question how and why it works, it just did on my bike. Maybe it has something to do with this being the first time the throttle on this bike has ever been twisted all the way open and the TPS needing this to recalibrate? All I can say is a great big "Thank You!" to mininsx!
I just tried this and I sincerely believe it works! (I actually twisted my throttle to the stop three times). I immediately took my bike for a short, 10 mile ride, and I could feel a difference the first time I let the clutch out leaving the driveway. My bike runs better everywhere below 3,000 RPM, and gone is the stuttering (mis-firing) between 2K and 3K at light engine loads. I am not going to question how and why it works, it just did on my bike. Maybe it has something to do with this being the first time the throttle on this bike has ever been twisted all the way open and the TPS needing this to recalibrate? All I can say is a great big "Thank You!" to mininsx!
You're welcome! I wish I'd known about this little trick sooner.
 
Dave_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
My '13 stock CB1100 doesn't run as smoothly as it should and I know most don't have this problem but some of us do. I might have found an answer, and I don't know if this will work or not (I haven't tried it yet) but I'm going to soon. I found this on the Concours Owner's Group message board. One of the guys there was complaining about rough running and he got a reply: "Sure sounds like the TPS. Turn the bike on, do not start it. Twist the throttle on full, roll off full, do it twice. Turn off bike, turn back on and start. Go for a ride and see if it works. Report back and tell me I am a motorcycle god, or worthless POS ;) FWIW, this works on GSs that have a similar problem with the TPS, ECU will read the full on/off position and do a rest to the current values. Same holds true when calibrating the PCV or PCIII."
Here's a link to the entire thread if you want to have a look:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,54254.0.html
I just tried this and I sincerely believe it works! (I actually twisted my throttle to the stop three times). I immediately took my bike for a short, 10 mile ride, and I could feel a difference the first time I let the clutch out leaving the driveway. My bike runs better everywhere below 3,000 RPM, and gone is the stuttering (mis-firing) between 2K and 3K at light engine loads. I am not going to question how and why it works, it just did on my bike. Maybe it has something to do with this being the first time the throttle on this bike has ever been twisted all the way open and the TPS needing this to recalibrate? All I can say is a great big "Thank You!" to mininsx!
I'm glad this worked for you Dave. I've been following your travails with interest. I'm surprised the dealer wasn't aware of this procedure.

Cheers
 
Thank you very much Pterodactyl :) I am surprised the dealer didn't know to do this either. However, they didn't even know how to perform a vacuum test on this bike (at least this is what they told me, and they asked me where the independent mechanic who measured the vacuum on my bike hooked-up the vacuum gauge). I'm tempted to call Honda (factory, not the dealer) and inform them (I had been in discussions with them several times), but I'm not going to waste my time because the representative that I was talking to wouldn't understand.

I'm glad this worked for you Dave. I've been following your travails with interest. I'm surprised the dealer wasn't aware of this procedure.

Cheers
[/QUOTE]
Thank you CIP57. :thumbsup:

Dave i know you have been having issue, glad the bike feels better. I tried this myself for the heck of it and did notice the bike pulled out of the hole a bit better with 1/4 throttle inputs. Glad it work out and hope it holds for you.
[/QUOTE]
 
Thread starter
I got my '08 Concours 14 out yesterday and tried this little "fix." It ran fine before, but it's even smoother now. :clap:
 
Thread starter
I hate to reply to my own post but as an update, I got my CB out yesterday and it is noticeably smoother running after the reset. :banana:
 
Can't hurt anything to do this right? I mean if it doesn't make it smoother, it CAN'T make it do anything bad right?

My bike runs fine. Just got back from short ride.( Still shaking my head how Motorcyclist could rate this motorcycle lower than a Bonnie or a Griso and equal to the SR 400 for Pete's sake...boggles the mind).

But someone may be wondering if it's ok to try it even though their bike runs fine.
 
So strange. I thumbed through the service manual and found nothing. I'm gonna search more aggressively later though.

No way this can hurt the bike at all. The fuel injectors aren't pulsing If the engine isn't turning over and everything else is being used within it's normal window of operation. Totally safe.
 
I don't know what this TPS is, other than being mentioned in the movie Office Space. I performed this procedure and felt no difference in acceleration. Is it possible that reaching the speed limiter could render the same result?
 
TPS is the throttle position sensor.
 
Thread starter
SanPete_imp said:
I don't know what this TPS is, other than being mentioned in the movie Office Space. I performed this procedure and felt no difference in acceleration. Is it possible that reaching the speed limiter could render the same result?
On mine acceleration wasn't the problem, steady-state throttle was. It surged slightly between 2500-3500 RPM when cruising around town or on the backroads. I never noticed anything at highway speed.
 
On mine acceleration wasn't the problem, steady-state throttle was. It surged slightly between 2500-3500 RPM when cruising around town or on the backroads. I never noticed anything at highway speed.
[/QUOTE]

Acceleration was never an issue on my bike. Very small throttle openings (2k - 3k RPM) with light loads and my bike would gently misfire. You had to listen carefully for it, but it was definitely there. Going from stoplight to stoplight in traffic (very slow speeds) was annoying, as was traveling at parking lot speeds. Also, when riding on back roads when the RPM dropped below 3k in the corners it would not run cleanly (again, mildly misfiring) as you gently rolled the throttle on, and then it would suddenly clean-up and pull cleanly as the RPM increased above 3k. My bike has never run so good as it does now, after performing this simple fix.
 
Thread starter
I just read this on the Concours 14 message board today:
"Just wanted to let everyone know we're still working on the other forum to figure out the "WHY". One of the guys is going to hook his bike up to some expensive electronic things and take some readings and get some numbers."

Seems that they're as perplexed as I and others are that this works.
 
Back
Top