Hepco and Becker c-bow mounts and street bags

oldgoat01_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Those of you reading the luggage threads know about my quest for luggage. To summarize, I wanted something 1) big enough to hold my jacket 2) locked to the bike 3) top loading 4) looked good on the bike. My search led me to the Krauser Skyline bags (owned by H-B). Best looking bag in my opinion; however, it is very pricey and I got mixed info on the dimensions. I thought about the Xplorer topcase (also H-B) but I am not a fan of the look of topcases and just couldn't pull the trigger. So I decided on the c-bow mounts and street bags. The c-bow mounts work with a variety of other bags, including the Skyline so I figure I can always upgrade down the road.

Anyhow, I just installed them and have some initial impressions. As with all H-B products, they are well made. The bags snap and lock onto the mounts quickly and easily...removal is the same. My jacket (Olympia with back, shoulder, elbow armor) fits without any issue, especially if you expand the bag. Bags came with rain covers; although I think they are generally waterproof to begin with. Then again, given our weather in the Carolinas this summer, maybe they should have included several sets. As for the look, I'll let you be the judge. While not Skylines I think they fit the lines of the bike nicely.

c-bow mounts alone (they are chrome although hard to tell in one pic):
d233d1485df7ecfac61812cef7dde8a0.jpg


31cbb9fe553679daf8bf592e36c72bd2.jpg


b90b7db4decb56762df575255d07e7b9.jpg



Street Bags mounted:
0cab428a0d105715c4b56aeba386a0ac.jpg


37b5d88359048c08db95f999a6e601d4.jpg


6c115393d3b426c93fa1290de5e221e6.html


d46261b70e5c65d28715daae86916ec5.jpg
 
Great! These were my favorites from what I've seen online so far. I think they look great.
Do you mind saying (linking) where you bought them and total price including mounts?
Also, were you thinking about getting the tail or tank bag?

Thanks
 
I like those a lot. They fit the bike well. Nice size. How hard was it to relocate the turn signals? I like them there better than down on the lic plate holder.
 
I think those bags look great! I was all set to buy the krauser's but now I'm not so sure. I believe the Honda OEM rack will work with the chow mounts but I think it would be better to mount the turn signals lower with that combination. Thanks for posting these pictures. This was very helpful.


Kevin
2013 CB1100
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Great! These were my favorites from what I've seen online so far. I think they look great.
Do you mind saying (linking) where you bought them and total price including mounts?
Also, were you thinking about getting the tail or tank bag?

Thanks
I got them at motomachines (http://www.motomachines.com/CB-1100_c_316.html); although I was looking at the UK distributor of Hepco-Becker as well since they were cheaper. Seems like US pricing is the same regardless of where you buy stuff. Cost was about $460 including the $20 for shipping. Shipping is free at $500 but I couldn't find anything I wanted for around $40. I'm not sure about tank or tail bag; although I do like a tank bag as they can be very convenient to hold a GPS, water, odds and ends. Hey, I got the panniers, you need to figure out the tank bag :D
The ferret_imp said:
I like those a lot. They fit the bike well. Nice size. How hard was it to relocate the turn signals? I like them there better than down on the lic plate holder.
Well... as I posted in another thread, I got the Corbin seat earlier that day. It was a very tight fit. The first step on the luggage mounts was to remove the seat. After struggling for a bit I said to myself 'I don't need to remove no stinking seat' Step 2 was to remove the handrails...no problem, then the blinkers. Hmm, I started full disassembly since the wire runs through the handrails hoping there was a connection in the blinker. I got to the point where I would have to cut wires when I decided to go back to step one and after a bit of prying and a lot of cussing, I removed the seat. From there you have to simply trace the wire and unclip it so you can feed it back out. The c-bow mounts include the brackets and hardware for the light relocation so it was very easy. The hardest part is snaking the wire back as there is very little slack left. I thought about doing something clever to reroute and gain some more slack, but as I thought about it, I realized I was being stupid. Unlike wires to your handlebars, both the end at the wiring harness and the end at the blinkers are stationary, There is no movement beyond a fraction of an inch if you bend the blinkers back. In fact, you really don't want much slack. So while the first one took a bit of time, I did the second in under five minutes. More info than you probably wanted to know
 
Thread starter
dBuster_imp said:
Do those bags lock?
They lock to the mounts. They open and close via two zippers with holes in the end, so I'll just get a couple of luggage locks (like I use on my backpack when traveling). I'll get some decent brass combo locks so they hold up and I don't need a key.
 
So no TS wire splicing, thats good. You can always use a soft tail bag on the rear seat for extra storage. What are you going to do about a windshield, or are you not going to use one?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
So no TS wire splicing, thats good. You can always use a soft tail bag on the rear seat for extra storage. What are you going to do about a windshield, or are you not going to use one?
I need some sort of wind protection. I like something fairly small to keep the wind off the chest for the most part and helmet in clean air. I really vacillate on what to get...go simple and save $ with NC, Puig or maybe Dart or spend the $ on the Comet. If the Comet were $360 painted with smoke screen and shipping included, I'd probably do that. But once you add the smoke and the paint and shipping...well I'm just not sure I like the Comet 3x more than one of the others.
HikerToo_imp said:
Oh...and how is the Corbin seat, a little better, some or a lot?
I posted my initial impressions here Corbin Thread

I did not get a chance to ride any today, but I'm feeling good about the decision based on just an hour.
 
oldgoat01' pid='11501' dateline='1376859476 said:
I need some sort of wind protection. I like something fairly small to keep the wind off the chest for the most part and helmet in clean air. I really vacillate on what to get...go simple and save $ with NC, Puig or maybe Dart or spend the $ on the Comet. If the Comet were $360 painted with smoke screen and shipping included, I'd probably do that. But once you add the smoke and the paint and shipping...well I'm just not sure I like the Comet 3x more than one of the others.


Yea, I vacillate on what to do too. I had the large NC on my 750 Nighthawk during late fall/winter and trips, and a Spitfire during late spring and early fall..and naked all summer. Really worked out well for me.

I really prefer a naked bike, and my wife keeps reminding me of that each time I bring up buying a windshield. But ideally Id like to have a large and small NC shields sitting in the garage.
 
Thread starter
As I watched the rain fall...again... I decided to test if a full face helmet would fit in the bag. You have to unzip the expansion thing and it is a tight fit; however, my full face helmet actually does fit. So, no need to tote my lidsafe bag when it looks like rain. :D
 
Those bags look great and that's a nice clean installation. As far as tank and tail bags go when you need even more room, Mickey has a great set up that he's used extensively. And having said that, I don't think he's ever done a full write up about exactly what he's using and what's good and bad about it. Perhaps he will now.

One question, where do the rear turn signals unplug?? I've looked under the seat but I can't find it???

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Those bags look great and that's a nice clean installation. As far as tank and tail bags go when you need even more room, Mickey has a great set up that he's used extensively. And having said that, I don't think he's ever done a full write up about exactly what he's using and what's good and bad about it. Perhaps he will now.

One question, where do the rear turn signals unplug?? I've looked under the seat but I can't find it???

Chip
There are a whole bunch of connectors that are in a clear silicone sleeve under and behind the box that has the tools in it. Once you remove the box you can follow the wires and find it.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Those bags look great and that's a nice clean installation. As far as tank and tail bags go when you need even more room, Mickey has a great set up that he's used extensively. And having said that, I don't think he's ever done a full write up about exactly what he's using and what's good and bad about it. Perhaps he will now.

One question, where do the rear turn signals unplug?? I've looked under the seat but I can't find it???

Chip

Chip rather than hijack this thread I went ahead and started a new thread about soft luggage
 
Oldgoat...my street bags side and rear are due in today, I already have the CBow mounts but too cold to install, my question is whether you remove the OEM hand rails or install over them?

Thanks
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Oldgoat...my street bags side and rear are due in today, I already have the CBow mounts but too cold to install, my question is whether you remove the OEM hand rails or install over them?

Thanks
If you look closely at the second picture, you can see how there are brackets attached to the rails. These provide the necessary offset for the lights. The c-bow mounts are attached to these brackets. It's so simple, even I wasn't able to mess them up. The only challenging part is finding and getting enough slack to re-route the wires for the turn signals.
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Oldgoat...my street bags side and rear are due in today, I already have the CBow mounts but too cold to install, my question is whether you remove the OEM hand rails or install over them?

Thanks
If you look closely at the second picture, you can see how there are brackets attached to the rails. These provide the necessary offset for the lights. The c-bow mounts are attached to these brackets. It's so simple, even I wasn't able to mess them up. The only challenging part is finding and getting enough slack to re-route the wires for the turn signals.
If you look closely at the second picture, you can see how there are brackets attached to the rails. These provide the necessary offset for the lights. The c-bow mounts are attached to these brackets. It's so simple, even I wasn't able to mess them up. The only challenging part is finding and getting enough slack to re-route the wires for the turn signals.
Old thread but still good info.

So, on the turn signals, where did you break/disconnect the wires, at the fuse box or the light?
 
The taillight connectors are near the battery.
 
Back
Top