Help

josiah.hurt_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So I just changed my oil a few days ago. Go to ride bike today and 5-10 minutes in my oil light starts blinking. I just pulled over and there's oil everywhere? Like out of oil in the tank. Thoughts? I let bike run and checked for leaks when I did the change and there was nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also would like to add. Oil was basically right at top line. I told my dad that wasn't good and he said it would be ok. I think that's the problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
At the top line when, when sitting on it or on the centerstand? That's how it's supposed to me measured. If it's at the top line while leaned over on the side stand then yes, it may be overfilled. If that's not it then it may be that the old filter gasket stayed in place when you screwed the new one on.
 
Thread starter
So upon further investigation...

The gasket had popped out just a little around the filter. Not sure how as it wasn't like that post-oil change. Could the filter have been screwed on too tight?

Also, I can't see any oil in the pane until Its on the center stand or you're holding it level. On side stand it looks like the Sahara. Which I don't remember being normal. Any thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions this is just really bugging me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My recollection is that it has to be on the centre stand to see oil in the glass.
 
I agree with the guys that you most likely have 2 gaskets stuck on there. You're going to have to remove the oil filter and get that right.

The owners manual and Ferret's nice write-up in the How-to section tells you how to change and check the oil.

It MUST be on the center stand on a level surface. If you fill it while on the sidestand you will overfill it and that can cause problems too. Right now on the sidestand my CB shows no oil. That is normal.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I agree with the guys that you most likely have 2 gaskets stuck on there. You're going to have to remove the oil filter and get that right.

The owners manual and Ferret's nice write-up in the How-to section tells you how to change and check the oil.

It MUST be on the center stand on a level surface. If you fill it while on the sidestand you will overfill it and that can cause problems too. Right now on the sidestand my CB shows no oil. That is normal.

Ok. Thank you all for your knowledge! Gonna clean her up and just replace the filter entirely and back to the road today!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
Wipe some oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter.
If not it may twist while being tightened and leak.

Definitely did that. Either I somehow missed the old gasket or my dad, when I clearly told him not to touch it after I had tightened it, cranked it a few extra times and it was too tight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
... and EVERY time you replace oil filter, prime it by pouring oil into the filter to the point that oil filter will be soaked up with oil. It will prevent engine from knocking ( momentarily no oil) upon initial start.
P
 
I put my oil filter on hand tight. They will tighten if anything. I have read about people over tightening them and ruining the gasket. At the same time, after oil changes I always take her for a good run at high engine speed and check for leaks.
 
Thread starter
Final verdict was that the old gasket somehow stayed on as well so it couldn't seal well. I have no idea how that happened because I cleaned the whole area and never saw it but it will definitely never happen again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well don't be too hard on yourself Josiah. You aren't the first member to report doing that. Things happen :)
 
Hey, stuff gets missed. I have done hundreds of oil changes, and have not had a double gasket issue, but just recently forgot to install the filler cap on a bike before firing it up and spraying oil everywhere lol.

No damage done, so laugh it off.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Hey, stuff gets missed. I have done hundreds of oil changes, and have not had a double gasket issue, but just recently forgot to install the filler cap on a bike before firing it up and spraying oil everywhere lol.

No damage done, so laugh it off.

Thanks Ferret! The only damage was the rear brake pad (probably could have been cleaned/sanded) but I replaced it. When it happened I hit the rear break and I just fishtailed and had to mainly use the engine to come to a stop. Kinda scary. Scary enough to triple check the gasket next time! Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimgl3_imp said:
yeah, I can't say a dang thing. happened to me too.

Honestly glad to see I'm not the only one! Live and learn!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Had to use the engine mainly to stop?? You know the bike has 2 big front disc brakes that work very well...
 
You would be amazed how many people are afraid to use the front brakes on a motorcycle thinking they are going to dump it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Had to use the engine mainly to stop?? You know the bike has 2 big front disc brakes that work very well...

At 65 in a turning lane they would work too well..... so engine first then front brakes... doesn't seem as dumb as you're making it seem.
 
Back
Top