Help identifing hand warmer setup

MagnaRider

Been there
Thread starter
Hoping to get lucky and someone might be able to point me in the right direction. When I purchased my 2014 CB1100 last year the PO had hand warmers installed (They are awesome if you don't have them). Sadly after a week of driving the cap came off that had the hand warmer button on it while riding it. I just need to find the cap again, or an idea to make my own. It was just plastic tabs that held in the original and will do something better to make sure it doesn't fall off again. They still work currently so I don't need a new setup if I can avoid it. Thanks for reading!
 
Thread starter
By chance know the part #?
I don't believe they are since it isn't tied into the dash heated grip light.
 
MagnaRider_imp said:
By chance know the part #?
I don't believe they are since it isn't tied into the dash heated grip light.
There is no such thing like the dash heated grip light indicator... or I misunderstand you?

OEM heated grip that was installed on my 2014 std and DLX: P/N 08T70-MGC-D31
Sub harness sold separately P/N 08A30-MGE-300 < this was not installed on my DLX, not so sure about my std.
 
Thread starter
Really? There is a light on my dash that looks exactly like a heated grip when I start the bike, goes away instantly.
Does the OEM heated grip flash green when activated? The button looked similar to the one pictured, to bad I don't think I can purchase just the cap however.
 
What I mean by dash are meters, tach and spedo, not the heated grip "dash"
My OEM h/grip has a single readout red indicator with 3 settings, 1 flash = min, 2 flashes = mid, 3 flashes = max, and after each flash it stays lit which means it's ON and working.
 
Thread starter
the light I am talking about is in the gear indicator readout "dash". I'll take a picture of it this weekend.
That sounds how mine works however its a green light not red. Thanks for the help
 
Based on my pics and experience, you have OEM heated grips:

368d01cb77c9ecbe8f4616c1fef69595.jpg

.............

c4d72eaa0873fea520e1a9498238318a.jpg


As to the dash/cluster gear shifter indicator > N <, I think this is what you are now talking about...??

Two different circuits and purpuse :)
 
That's the OEM heated grip set, and the top part missing has the button to push the little switch button that turns it on and changes temp range.



That part is was never available separately from Honda.
The grip kit, which fits other Hondas, does not include the specific harness for your bike, is P/N 08T71-MKK-D02, and goes for around $225.00
 
Thread starter
Thank you both for the help! Yea I kinda figured I'd be biting the bullet so to speak on just being able to purchase a cover. I am going to try to make something to cover it and keep the moisture out.
I'm glad at least it is the OEM heated grip set so its quality!

Also PB I will take a picture of my dash/indicator/whatever (THE SCREEN IN THE MIDDLE LOL) this weekend because its definitely not the Neutral indicator.

Thanks again!
 
You need the whole front/top part. Options are limited, but here's how I would fix it.

The top of that little circuit board has a red LED that flashes initially to indicate the heat level, 3 flashes for high, dowm to 1 flash for low. It also has a push switch, just like the ones used to reset the tripmeter, etc.

I would cut a 1/8" ring out of a plastic drinking straw and put it around the switch. Use a hot glue gun to put a smooth 1/8" layer over the entire circuitboard EXCEPT the switch. This would keep it water out of the circuitboard, and allow you to see the LED.

Make a button (maybe a thumbtack or equivalent, and silicone it above the straw, making sure the switch still click-clicks. To make the rest of the housing, use a moldable glue (like Sugru), or a pliable epoxy like PlasticWeld epoxy putty.



As far as thegear posiition indicator in the center of the dash, it is blank when the green neutral light in the speedo goes on, it neve indicates N. If it is stuck in between gears, it indicates a " - ".

 
That is a great solution. There's an apparent need for these switch housings, and this is a great glimpse into the future of replacement parts supply. The new one is even better, with a screw or screws to hold it together.

A lot better than my hot-glue-and-silly-putty idea. :s
 
Thread starter
Thank you WRXer. Got one ordered that looks like the right solution!

Here is what I am talking about on the display? What is this showing?
 
I’ve never been able to find a user manual for the 2014 bikes online so I don’t know if that light is mentioned in it. There is no reference to it in either the 2013 or 2017 user manuals that I can see from a cursory look.
 
Thread starter
I have a user manual for mine and it makes no mention of it! Thanks for looking into though from your end.

I know its not the Neutral switch lol, I've ridden powersports since I was a kid and the Green N on the speedo is pretty obvious what its for. This to me appears to be a handwarmer tho? I can't imagine what else it would be.
 
Sure looks like it.
 
The left grip light on the switch has the light that indicates off or flashes 3 times for high, twice for medium, and once for low heat. If the battery voltage drops excessively, the heated grips will shut off, and the light will stay flashing.

The heated grip set is/was used by several models, and different models had a different subharness. Some of those models did not have that indicator on the dash also, so in our case, it is likely a welcome redundancy.
 
Back
Top