GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
I would say I am a HJC customer, but I do have Arai and now Klim and there are no regrets. I would not regularly replace with Klim or Arai, but now it is harder to just ignore them.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
For that fleeting moment Ferret, the helmet looked great on ya.The ferret_imp said:ok funny story .. tonight I had to run over to my son's house, so naturally I grabbed the bike. It's only 4 miles to his house. Because it was really hot and humid I got my white HJC Open face helmet with the little curve smoke visor out of the closet so I could enjoy some air. Going "retro" as it were.
![]()
On the way over there I thought about this thread. When I took the helmet off over there I saw little white bits of Styrofoam. I started looking for the date to see when it was made. 2003! Definitely over 5 years old lol. When I got home I pulled the bike in the garage, ripped the visor off, walked over to the trash can and threw it in.
I need to check a few more helmets I have in the closet. I have a feeling tomorrow I will open up some shelf space lol.
I did check my primary helmets, my white HJC modular's and they are good with 2017 build dates. So I have one more year with those.

I wanted an old school washer so went with the Speed Queen Classic, Model TC5003WN. Buy once, cry once.PowerDubs_imp said:Popgun- what washer? Even better if you can tell me the model #.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At least yours did not fall to dust like my Shoei did. I have one old helmet, an HJC modular from 2003 or 2004. I do not wear it, but its insides still look almost new. So much for the high cost of the helmet meaning it lasts longer.The ferret_imp said:ok funny story .. tonight I had to run over to my son's house, so naturally I grabbed the bike. It's only 4 miles to his house. Because it was really hot and humid I got my white HJC Open face helmet with the little curve smoke visor out of the closet so I could enjoy some air. Going "retro" as it were.
![]()
On the way over there I thought about this thread. When I took the helmet off over there I saw little white bits of Styrofoam. I started looking for the date to see when it was made. 2003! Definitely over 5 years old lol. When I got home I pulled the bike in the garage, ripped the visor off, walked over to the trash can and threw it in.
I need to check a few more helmets I have in the closet. I have a feeling tomorrow I will open up some shelf space lol.
I did check my primary helmets, my white HJC modular's and they are good with 2017 build dates. So I have one more year with those.
:rofl: very 70's old school.Stichill_imp said:That helmet is (was) a good look on you, ferret!
:rofl: very 70's old school.The ferret_imp said::rofl: very 70's old school.Stichill_imp said:That helmet is (was) a good look on you, ferret!
I reckon most are referring to the open cell foam padding. The superstructure ought to be intact (assuming no impact events). One might be able to source some new padding, but the helmet interior will become "customized" and could be an unintended liability. Might be easier to simply replace the entire unit.Cormanus_imp said:Makes me wonder. Surely, if all that’s disintegrating is the lining, it could be replaced? Or is there disintegration in the harder structural material?
That was my first thought but I doubt there would be much saving against a new helmet if it was even possible to obtain a new lining.Cormanus_imp said:Makes me wonder. Surely, if all that’s disintegrating is the lining, it could be replaced? Or is there disintegration in the harder structural material?
That was my first thought but I doubt there would be much saving against a new helmet if it was even possible to obtain a new lining.Mixagon_imp said:That was my first thought but I doubt there would be much saving against a new helmet if it was even possible to obtain a new lining.Cormanus_imp said:Makes me wonder. Surely, if all that’s disintegrating is the lining, it could be replaced? Or is there disintegration in the harder structural material?
Also what came to mind was how some plastic goes very brittle with age, not the same material as helmets but buckets seem to split and crack quite quickly even if not used.
Honestly, I don't know. Fiber glass is only part of the composite. The other part is usually epoxy resin, which is very tough.GoldOxide_imp said:I don't think, for example, Arai fiberglass-based shells degrade. Not sure about older (and maybe current) generation polycarbonate shells though.
The other thing to consider are the rubber-based components like seals, and the vinyl wraps around the straps and mouth guard area, if applicable. I had the vinyl strap wraps crack and crumble with bits of black clinging to my mug. Again, another helmet area heavily exposed to skin protein and uric acid excretion.