Helmet warning

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I went a ride last week and with hot weather here at last decided to wear one of my caberg flip up helmets with an inner sun visor. All goes well with the top vent opened and outer visor up dark visor down. Plently of air flow and a good ride then disaster strikes.
About a mile from home my eyes started to run and didn't feel right then slight burning started in both eyes and got much worse and very painful. I could hardly open my eyes but just managed to get to the bottom of my drive and leave the bike and staggered up the path barely able to open my eyes and taking helmet off outside rushed inside to see in the mirror both eyes blood red and still burning so flushed them a few times with water and they were ok again in a few hours.
I tried for days to work out what had happened but couldn't so decided it was just one of those mysteries that never gets solved but all was ok now.

However getting ready for next ride put same helmet on and something felt strange, it felt to big so took it off and black dust fell all around me. Most of the inner foam padding under the material had turned to fine dust, maybe helped by the top air vent being open.
I figured this dust is what had got into my eyes on my last ride so mystery solved.
I count myself lucky as it happened near home at low speed and not out in the middle of nowhere.

How old was the caberg helmet ? About 15 years so well past its use by date but when a thing looks new on the outside when do you throw it away.
Problem is I have three more of similar age which I have checked and they seem ok but I think its time to get a new helmet.

Check your helmets guys that foam dust could have had me off on the faster twisty roads I had been on...
 
I've always thought that, although they won't last forever, the recommended 3-5 years life for a helmet had to do more with marketing than with safety.

It's good to know that foam degrades. If when it's 15 years old it's falling appart into dust, I guess it has loss some absorbing capabilities many years ago.

I woudn't use a helmet over 8 years old...
 
I am glad that you are safe but do not use helmets older than 5 -7 years , you never know how BAD your too old helmet is till it you need it in an accident.
 
I’ll keep an ‘eye’ out for that, could see it as an issue. My helmet is on the older side too. For shorter rides I’ve been using goggles lately, much more secure than just glasses.
 
I kept my old helmets from the early 90s in hopes of needing them again someday. About 10 years ago while organizing my crap, I noticed everything inside had turned to dust. They certainly don't last forever. Similar story with my ski boots. I still miss those Langes.
 
Since the inside of a helmet seldom sees sun UV rays, I suspect the salty, sweaty, bodily uric acid doesn't help over time either.
 
When I was a teenager- a friend was riding his dirtbike around the yard...came into the kitchen, set his helmet on a table and it got knocked off.

Fell to the floor and a good sized piece shattered off the shell like a broken egg. Was a Bell too if I remember correctly. I'm sure it had some years on it but still..
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
When I was a teenager- a friend was riding his dirtbike around the yard...came into the kitchen, set his helmet on a table and it got knocked off.

Fell to the floor and a good sized piece shattered off the shell like a broken egg. Was a Bell too if I remember correctly. I'm sure it had some years on it but still..
That reminds me of when I came back to bikes in 1992. I didn't have a helmet yet so a buddy gave me an old Bell helmet and the lining disintegrated like the incident in the first post.
 
My old Shoei RF1200 is 5 years old this year so I decided to get a new one. The price was right due to the RF1400 being introduced recently and although I didn't think there was anything wrong with my old one why not? I put that new helmet on and what a difference, it felt much firmer! So I'm a believer now. Although it's an expense you may not particularly want to lay out it is the most important piece of safety equipment you will wear.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
My old Shoei RF1200 is 5 years old this year so I decided to get a new one. The price was right due to the RF1400 being introduced recently and although I didn't think there was anything wrong with my old one why not? I put that new helmet on and what a difference, it felt much firmer! So I'm a believer now. Although it's an expense you may not particularly want to lay out it is the most important piece of safety equipment you will wear.
... yes, ... and inhaling an ol' helmet's "foam dust" can't possibly be healthy for the lungs. :dodgy:
 
Whoops_imp said:
Should I be ashamed that I am still using my 2004 Shoei X-Eleven?
Hi, I pulled my old Shoei RJ Air out of my closet a couple months back, and the inside padding literally feel to dust and crud on my floor. I threw it away, helmet and all. It had been stored in my closet for about 8-9 years I think. Way too long. Way too old.
Used my AGV K1 until I celebrated and bought 2 new helmets, a Shoei RF-1400, and an HJC RPHA 11 Pro Bine helmet. Got the bright yellow Shoei for air intake and the HJC because it has great intake air features too, and is one of the lightest full face helmets on the market. But the 5 year limit on helmets may just be there for good reason. Time and the elements seems to eat up helmets, possibly the outside as well in UV light all the time. The RF-1400 looks awesome in Yellow, and fits like a glove.
It may be time to upgrade to the 14, just for your own sake.....
 
^^ This. I have always been skeptical about the "5 year rule". Just figured it was a way to get into your wallet. However, after having children, I will not wear a helmet that is too much older than 5 years. I figure the cost of $100 or so a year is VERY cheap insurance for the what if..
 
What helmet costs $100? Every time I get one they are ~500!
 
uh.... a $500 helmet amortized over 5 years IS $100 a year mi Lord.

and my HJC modulars cost about $125 each. I still wear them 5 years (or more) which works out to $25 a year.

I make it up in oil changes, gasoline and tires.
 
I tend not to buy very expensive helmets but don't go super bargain basement and will go for a brand name. I was looking for a visor for my current discontinued Nexx helmet and am struggling to find one. Even if I find one I'm looking at €65-€70 plus shipping. For a mere €172 including shipping I can get a brand new Shark D-SKWAL 2 which comes recommended by "Ride" magazine (a popular UK publication) and a 4/5 Shark rating (UK Gov sponsored motorcycle safety scheme, just happens to be coincidentally names Shark). I have kept my helmets too long in the past but there is some serious quality out there for little money. My Nexx was more than twice the price but I have no problem ditching it after only three years.
 
The ferret_imp said:
uh.... a $500 helmet amortized over 5 years IS $100 a year mi Lord.

and my HJC modulars cost about $125 each. I still wear them 5 years (or more) which works out to $25 a year.

I make it up in oil changes, gasoline and tires.
:blush: I was thinking he was buying a $100 helmet every year :blush:

I will say yours is a great value. No new helmet for me this year. Just bought a new washer today :( And yes PB, it’s in stock and will be delivered Wed. :banana:
 
Back
Top