HELMET Lighter?

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey I am in the market for a new Helmet. I currently have a Shoei Qwest, It seems heavy. Anyone recommend something lighter in a full face? My neck is always sore :/
 
I tried on a Schuberth at a motorcycle show and was impressed with it's light weight compared to my Nolan. Quiet also, like donning ear muffs. Only down side is the cost.
 
I have a Nexx ZR1R. 1200 grams. It's excellent. I wear earplugs all the time, and with them, the helmet is very quiet. I also have a Sedici Carbon from Cycle Gear. It's carbon fiber, but still weighs 1500 grams. I've been riding for 50 years and highly value my neck and hearing. You can tell a real difference even with a few ounces. Go try some on and see for yourself ;)
 
10 oz difference. The carbon fibre is heavier? That makes no sense to me lol
 
I would think wind resistance/drag would play a factor in neck fatigue too, maybe more than weight on the CB when your head is in the wind, even with a smaller better looking wind screen like the Comet 1.
 
Hiker is correct. There's more to neck fatigue than just the weig of the helmet. The size and shape of your screen, the shape of the helmet itself, even how you position yourself on your seat can make a difference.

As to equipment, you may find that one of those helmet seals (I forget the brand names) will direct wind around your helmet rather than into into it and that will prevent noise and lift. I don't have a screen, but I definitely think having one, or a taller one, would help. Also, I think they make a neck wrap that keeps your head from tilting back, but I've never actually seen one.

You may also find that simply focusing on not letting the wind move your head around (aka keeping your head still) combined with frequent neck stretches at stop lights can reduce your fatigue.

I'm sure that you will come up with some combination of gear and technique that will prevent riding from becoming a pain in the neck.
 
Thread starter
Well it turns out my Shoei was way too big on me and that is what was causing my issues.

I am bummed because I spent a lot on that helmet, but just picked up a new helmet. I can't afford another shoei right now but found a Scorpion EXO-R710 in matte black for $198! It's 2015 Snell and DOT rated. I made sure this one is snug! Fits the crown of my head much better. Cheeks are really tight but that'll break in. Took it on a ride today and notice a huge difference.

Shoei was a XL and though my cheeks fit great the crown of my head was loose causing the helmet to move back with the wind. The Scorpion is a L fit's snug and over all this thing is much lower profile. Now I just need to see if my Bluetooth fits in comfortably
 
Lots of people are wearing the wrong size helmet and unfortunately, don't know any better. Too large can actually contribute to more damage in a crash. Go to a place with a competent sales staff and let them educate and assist in helmet selection. If they are pros, you will be much happier, comfortable and safer. Places the specialize in helmets are your best bet.
 
Thread starter
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Lots of people are wearing the wrong size helmet and unfortunately, don't know any better. Too large can actually contribute to more damage in a crash. Go to a place with a competent sales staff and let them educate and assist in helmet selection. If they are pros, you will be much happier, comfortable and safer. Places the specialize in helmets are your best bet.
Well my Shoei discounted when I bought my last bike and the staff was very uneducated on the issue. I googled, watched youtube and asked many other riders what a good fit was. Did all of the tests in the store and found that the L Scorpion is the ticket! I just fit my Sena SMH10r yesterday now the helmet is good to go :)
 
I know some folks smoke when they ride, but a don't think that a helmet is the place to mount a lighter. I think a better option would be somewhere on the handle bars.


Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
 
Pete Erickson_imp said:
I know some folks smoke when they ride, but a don't think that a helmet is the place to mount a lighter. I think a better option would be somewhere on the handle bars.


Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
i was waiting for that lol
 
Back
Top