Heated Grips

caddy425_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Bought my 2016 and had the factory heated grips installed by the dealer. They work well and are a great design. But i noticed on the digital panel there is a heated grip icon that comes on when you start the bike. But it doesn't do anything when the grips are on. Just wondering if this is normal or if the install was incorrect. Any input appreciated.
 
Hmmm one would think anytime the grips are on, the icon would be lit up.
 
Same thing with my heated grips. I would have thought the same thing. I actually backtracked through the install directions again thinking I may have forgotten to hook up a wire. I didn't. They work great.
 
That's weird. Of what value is the icon then?
 
I seem to recall this was previously discussed and determined only worked on the EX models.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The heated grips I had installed are supposed to be factory, no lights come on until I press the button when the ignition is on. I then get multiple flashes for a few seconds...more flashes higher heat. This one goes from high to med. then low. The light stays on until I cycle through the levels or turn the ignition off. Mine is a 2014, not sure if things are different for the newer models.
 
Elipten_imp said:
I seem to recall this was previously discussed and determined only worked on the EX models.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I remember that thread too.

Mechanix, You are talking about the light on the left heated grip, correct?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I seem to recall this was previously discussed and determined only worked on the EX models.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I remember that thread too.

Mechanix, You are talking about the light on the left heated grip, correct?
I remember that thread too.

Mechanix, You are talking about the light on the left heated grip, correct?
That's correct. I never bothered to verify if they were an actual Honda part, I just told them to order and install the factory heated grips and leave the luggage rack in the box.
 
They are OEM. They come in 2 parts priced separately. The grips, and a wiring kit (forgot is real name) The light is on the left grip.

Disclaimer. I do not have them on my CB. I put them on the ST. I don't know why they don't make that heated grip icon light up, but apparently they don't. Except maybe on the EX. IDK. And I'm too lazy to look at the wiring diagram and try to figure it out. :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
They are OEM. They come in 2 parts priced separately. The grips, and a wiring kit (forgot is real name) The light is on the left grip.

Disclaimer. I do not have them on my CB. I put them on the ST. I don't know why they don't make that heated grip icon light up, but apparently they don't. Except maybe on the EX. IDK. And I'm too lazy to look at the wiring diagram and try to figure it out. :)
You know what, now that you mention it...I do remember seeing the grips and the wiring kit as separate items. Because I stopped by to pick up the bike to find out they ordered two wiring kits both from Honda.

My icon lights up only when heat is on.
 
Yes, mine too, on the left grip. Thats funny they ordered 2 kits. At least you didn't have to get yet another wiring kit like on the ST. Its called a quartet harness. Another cost. Has nothing to do with the CB, just mentioning it.

It is nice that the grips and the wiring are separate as you cannot order just one grip if one fails. You have to order another set, but not another wiring kit.
 
so to get this straight Mechanix, the icon in your speedo (or tach I forget) that looks like a grip with little wiggly heat shimmer lines, lights up when you have the hand grips turned on, and is lit when you are running down the road?
 
I'd bet this has to do with how Honda uses many parts on many bikes. We know the grips are used on several bikes- now it just takes someone to cross reference the speedo part # and see what else it is used on. That may help figure out the wiring needed to get the indicator working.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I checked my Dlx which has the Honda heated grips (correct parts from Honda) and installed by dealer and I checked all work/connections as per Honda instructions from Japan.

And in summary my little grip symbol in cluster is not displaying when grips are on. Only the red light in grip switch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
so to get this straight Mechanix, the icon in your speedo (or tach I forget) that looks like a grip with little wiggly heat shimmer lines, lights up when you have the hand grips turned on, and is lit when you are running down the road?
Well, I'm not that fancy...I have the icon on the left grip. Nothing on my instrument cluster for the heated grips. Now I feel like I'm missing something:(

Just ran out to the bike and noticed what you are talking about as for the icon on the cluster, when I turn the key on it is there but turns off shortly. Apparently they didn't hook it up for the cluster because of the indicator on the left grip.

Now I want that icon to turn on too!
I may have to declare "shenanigans" on this one! How can they install heated grips and not have it turn on the icon in the cluster?!!! I had to turn my ignition on and off a few times to see if I am missing out on anything else.
 
I'm gonna say good luck with that Mechanix. I looked at the wiring diagrams last night and there is nothing on there about anything for heated grips or heated grip icon illumination on any of the various models in the US. Just no mention at all.

I also looked at my '13 and there is no meter icon for heated grips. I've never seen a '14 so can't speak to that. Easy to see the icons. With the bike off I just used a flashlight and all the icons become visible.

Could I make it work? Most likely. Would have to maybe disassemble the meter assm., follow the circuit from the icon light to the connector and do some wiring accordingly. Way too much trouble for me even if I did have the icon.
 
I hear ya popgun, my bike is still too new for me to be tearing it apart. But it will bug me like an itch I can't scratch. Besides, I have too many other projects. I will just enjoy what I have...for now.
 
Thread starter
the only reason i really noticed it was my last bike was a 2015 VFR - same icon on the instruments - came on and actually had a number next to it to tell you how high the grips were set at. I know there is no numbers for the heat (3 settings versus 5) - and the instrument cluster is much simpler - i had the grips installed at the dealer and i know they did them correctly - and the manual with it says nothing about any instrument panel tie in. It just seems like such a waste to put the darn icon on the panel and not use it for anything
 
I believe it has been reported that the EX models in Japan, an other Asian locations, the grip icon works. Not sure why the difference.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top