PowerDubs_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi guys,
I was recently reading a thread where someone was talking about the smoothness of the bike (I think it may have been Dave) and he mentioned wanting to sync the throttlebody assembly.
There was a mention that the manual says not to do so. I would agree- for most people there is probably not much of a need if your bike is running well enough to your liking.
That being said- lots of other bikes have this procedure as part of normal maint.
Our bikes use the same throttle body design as many many other Honda bikes- just with different butterfly / bore size- and spacing between the cyl pairs. Example - the CB1000R and CB900F Hornet ( 919 )
Heck- even the Honda scooter uses the same design- so this procedure would be essentially identical once you get into the bike plastics / tank.
Example pics-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-1...99&hash=item261fa4bdb0:g:H0cAAOSwCXVeMRdC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Honda-C...126708?hash=item48ec00e434:g:jysAAOSwxr1fRp61
I started thinking about it- and was curious as our staggered cam timing should show up on the results.
Additionally- although the TB are synced from the factory, as the engines wears- differences in valve adjustments from cyl to cyl will have an effect on individual cyl readings.
Naturally adjusting all the valves back to equal will even out pulses- but I suppose it depends on how deep into a 'tune-up' a person wants to go.
I started watching youtube videos on guys syncing motorcycle TB and found this modern digital version of the old mercury tubes-
eSync Tool (EST) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.
Here is the video of it in use-
I was particularly interested in this last screenshot. Due to the electronic sensors- this tool allows much more visual data info and much finer adjustment resolution.
There is another video of a guy adjusting with a similar, but older and much more basic (inferior) type of tool- and it is cool that you can tell if the engine has a bad valve by watching the readout.
Given I have installed custom cams, and in doing so I had to completely change my shim sizing much further than normal- it will be interesting to see the waveforms in real time.
I also may have slight differences due to my dremeling of my velocity stacks- and will most certainly want to take a look at what is going on if I decide to install the CB1000R 36mm TBs.
There was another guy here who took out the factory mis-timed cam and now is running all even cams.... I would think he could certainly benefit by using this tool to see how the cyls are running in comparison to each other and adjust if needed.
So- being the moto geek that I am- I reached out to the manufacturer, let him know I am interested in this tool, and he was kind enough to off me a discount in return for writing up my impressions and results.
I purchased the unit about an hour ago...it will take a while to arrive, and I'll probably play with using it some time this winter as time allows.
I was recently reading a thread where someone was talking about the smoothness of the bike (I think it may have been Dave) and he mentioned wanting to sync the throttlebody assembly.
There was a mention that the manual says not to do so. I would agree- for most people there is probably not much of a need if your bike is running well enough to your liking.
That being said- lots of other bikes have this procedure as part of normal maint.
Our bikes use the same throttle body design as many many other Honda bikes- just with different butterfly / bore size- and spacing between the cyl pairs. Example - the CB1000R and CB900F Hornet ( 919 )
Heck- even the Honda scooter uses the same design- so this procedure would be essentially identical once you get into the bike plastics / tank.
Example pics-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-1...99&hash=item261fa4bdb0:g:H0cAAOSwCXVeMRdC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Honda-C...126708?hash=item48ec00e434:g:jysAAOSwxr1fRp61
I started thinking about it- and was curious as our staggered cam timing should show up on the results.
Additionally- although the TB are synced from the factory, as the engines wears- differences in valve adjustments from cyl to cyl will have an effect on individual cyl readings.
Naturally adjusting all the valves back to equal will even out pulses- but I suppose it depends on how deep into a 'tune-up' a person wants to go.
I started watching youtube videos on guys syncing motorcycle TB and found this modern digital version of the old mercury tubes-
eSync Tool (EST) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.
Here is the video of it in use-
I was particularly interested in this last screenshot. Due to the electronic sensors- this tool allows much more visual data info and much finer adjustment resolution.
There is another video of a guy adjusting with a similar, but older and much more basic (inferior) type of tool- and it is cool that you can tell if the engine has a bad valve by watching the readout.
Given I have installed custom cams, and in doing so I had to completely change my shim sizing much further than normal- it will be interesting to see the waveforms in real time.
I also may have slight differences due to my dremeling of my velocity stacks- and will most certainly want to take a look at what is going on if I decide to install the CB1000R 36mm TBs.
There was another guy here who took out the factory mis-timed cam and now is running all even cams.... I would think he could certainly benefit by using this tool to see how the cyls are running in comparison to each other and adjust if needed.
So- being the moto geek that I am- I reached out to the manufacturer, let him know I am interested in this tool, and he was kind enough to off me a discount in return for writing up my impressions and results.
I purchased the unit about an hour ago...it will take a while to arrive, and I'll probably play with using it some time this winter as time allows.
