Headlight Ring Rattle

1100rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The headlight ring on my CB has started to rattle. I have checked all of the mounting bolts and they are tight. Anyone else have the same problem?
 
Are you sure that's where it's coming from?
 
Thread starter
Yes, When I press down on the headlight ring the noise stops. I have checked inside the headlight bucket and nothing is loose or hitting the bucket.
 
Not sure without seeing it, but here are a couple of ideas you could try:

install a little foam tape inside the ring near the bottom to stop the rattle

slightly bend the tab on the ring that fits into the housing slot to make it fit tighter
Now that I think about it, make sure your headlight mounting bracket bolts are tight in addition to the ring mounting bolts (which you said you already checked). Pressing on the ring would also apply pressure on the overall housing which could be loose and the cause of the rattle.
 
The connectors inside the bucket could also be vibrating against the headlight unit (the thing the bulb goes in). I wrapped all the connectors in the bucket with thin sheet foam and my noise stopped.
 
Just for info. When mine was buzzing, just about anything I pressed on would make it stop. So unless you are SURE its the ring, pull the headlight and wrap the connectors. Its free and easy. If it doesn't work, well it was free and easy. :)
 
Glad I found this thread. My headlight is buzzing like crazy and all of the OP's stuff applies to me as well. Very annoying, as it happens from 3500 to 4500 rpm, and I spend a lot of time in that range.

OP, how did you deal and did it work?
 
:thanks: Thanks senor Popgun! I will dive into the bucket tomorrow.
So... all the connectors and wires and stuff are hidden in the light?? No wonder the front end looks so clean. :worship:
 
Thanks popgun, mine buzzes too. I was just living with that annoying buzz, but now I'm going to tear into that sucker today and fix it, hope it works!
 
Glad I could help! And I hope it solves the problem.

For you guys and gals that have never removed the headlight, pull it out slightly from the bottom and lift it up. It hooks in to a plastic ring at the top and you do not want to break it.

Also, there is a headlight aiming mark on each side of the shell and on the tip of the shell mounting bracket (the silver triangle thing) for reference. Note where it is if you loosen the shell for any reason and you can put it back without having to adjust the headlight aim.
 
tomas_imp said:
Thanks popgun, mine buzzes too. I was just living with that annoying buzz, but now I'm going to tear into that sucker today and fix it, hope it works!
PERFECT FIX, can't believe that all this time it was a stupid wiring harness inside the headlight fixture causing all that buzzing noise. The windshield was amplifying the noise too, making it even more intolerable. I think long term all that vibration on the wiring harness could have done some damage to it. The bike is so quiet now, perfect. :thumbsup:

Thanks again popgun, I don't know if I would have ever solved the problem.:thanks:
 
Thank you, Thank you. I'll take all the credit :)

Actually another member thought up the cause, I just tried it first as he said he was too lazy to try it. It was driving me nuts too.
 
Back
Top