Headlight bulbs

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am a firm believer that brighter is better when it comes to moto headlights. The easier it is for dummies (those not REALLY paying attention to what they are SUPPOSED to be doing) to see us....the better.

I had replaced the bulb in my 93 Nighthawk and it was a winner for sure and I was hoping that with the decision to purchase this new bike that it would use the same bulb so I could just swap it over....it does. :D

So these are what I picked up and they are WELL worth it.
Amazon.com

This is a pic of mine and PowderToastMan's bike next to each other. I think because it's still daylight you can't really see it all that well, but mine is on the right, and believe me it's brighter.
9d355fe59b1602ad0a014ec5608923d7.jpg


I have the spare in the garage if/when this one dies. Also I just can't advocate those HID swap kits. The HID bulbs generate light differently and the light source just is not in the correct location within the housing and thus the light gets scattered all over the place and the result is you blind everyone coming at you and don't increase your vision at all. It seems like you do because you end up lighting up the ground right in front of you, but that's about it.
 
Yup I can vouch for Randy that it's way brighter. The light really fills up the bucket, my stock headlight looks really dinky in comparison.

Thank you for posting this, I'll probably order one soon.
 
Was it an easy swap out? Is the current draw comparable to the stock bulb?
 
Thread starter
Comparable for sure.
Easy as swapping the bulb. 2 screws and the assembly will come out. You tip it up and DON'T YANK or you'll break the tabs and it will come free. Squeeze the plug and pull it off of the bulb and then you can remove the rubber shroud to get to the clip and remove the bulb. Installation is the reverse of removal. :D
 
Thanks for the great info Randy!!!!
back on ADVRider I complained about the poor lighting (to me) on the CB.
At night, the oem bulb shines very W I D E but not enough "in front" light. No amougt of adjusting the headlight would remedy this.
I'm certainly looking forward to changing bulbs. :)
Jim
 
Thread starter
The angle really will not change much because that is the design of the lens doing that. This lens assembly is MUCH improved over my Nighthawks lens assembly. The high beam on this one is CRAZY! With the new bulb if I turn it on people will almost jump out of my way. :D
 
Randy B_imp said:
Comparable for sure.
Easy as swapping the bulb. 2 screws and the assembly will come out. You tip it up and DON'T YANK or you'll break the tabs and it will come free. Squeeze the plug and pull it off of the bulb and then you can remove the rubber shroud to get to the clip and remove the bulb. Installation is the reverse of removal. :D
Would make a nice addition to the How To section if you'd photo the steps.
 
Thread starter
Look on page 94 of the owners manual for detailed instructions on replacing the headlight bulb.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Look on page 94 of the owners manual for detailed instructions on replacing the headlight bulb.
people like pictures and we'd like an expanded how to section on the forum ;)
 
I agree with the poor light on the CB1100 and the first thing I did replace the bulb with a Phillips Extreme Power/Vision,still 55/60 watts but much better.They are made in Germany .I live close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and with its many tunnels good light is important as my normal glasses get dark in the sun but too dark for the tunnels.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I agree with the poor light on the CB1100 and the first thing I did replace the bulb with a Phillips Extreme Power/Vision,still 55/60 watts but much better.They are made in Germany .I live close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and with its many tunnels good light is important as my normal glasses get dark in the sun but too dark for the tunnels.
My impression of the stock bulb was that it seemed ok, but I'm all for brighter is better. :cool: I bought an H4 PIAA Xtreme White Plus 60/55W from Amazon.com (of all places) as they had the best price - $50 and free shipping. I like the idea that it is an anti-vibration bulb and may last longer than bulbs made for autos.

The Bee
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I agree with the poor light on the CB1100 and the first thing I did replace the bulb with a Phillips Extreme Power/Vision,still 55/60 watts but much better.They are made in Germany .I live close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and with its many tunnels good light is important as my normal glasses get dark in the sun but too dark for the tunnels.
My impression of the stock bulb was that it seemed ok, but I'm all for brighter is better. :cool: I bought an H4 PIAA Xtreme White Plus 60/55W from Amazon.com (of all places) as they had the best price - $50 and free shipping. I like the idea that it is an anti-vibration bulb and may last longer than bulbs made for autos.

The Bee
My impression of the stock bulb was that it seemed ok, but I'm all for brighter is better. :cool: I bought an H4 PIAA Xtreme White Plus 60/55W from Amazon.com (of all places) as they had the best price - $50 and free shipping. I like the idea that it is an anti-vibration bulb and may last longer than bulbs made for autos.

The Bee FWIW. Great bulb when it burns but keep stocker handy. PIAA bulbs in fogs on truck & 4 on light bar. Cheap made crap that's way over priced. I had a pair on another truck bull bar with same results. I'll be changing all those for LED. Haven't decided on CB yet. Good luck.
 
Hmm, I've previously had good luck using a PIAA bulb on my Harley. Used the Sylvania Silver Lights on my car which was a modest improvement too. An LED bulb sounds like an interesting idea as well. When I ride during daylight hours, I use the high beam so Fred & Ethel Grope can better see me. When that filament burns out, I still have a functioning low beam as a back up. Sorry to hear of your bad experience with PIAA...

The Bee
 
Seems to me the best solution for better lighting is LED. The aftermarket is starting to catch on as technology marches forward. I know there are some pretty good options for HD bikes but are pricy as all get out. That price is starting to come down some though.

I ran a 100/80 watt bulb in place of the 60/55 watt in my Sportster for years and it made fairly decent improvement. Enough that I never changed back. I did burn up several connectors because I was over taxing them. That was the price I paid for better lighting.
 
My factory bulb burned out today. The low-beam went first, so I finished my ride on the high-beam. Both beams had failed by the time I started to replace it. Super-easy changeout on this bike, especially compared to the VStrom where the bulbs are buried up in the cowling.

BTW: I noticed Sylvania SilverStar bulbs were mentioned earlier. I tried those on my Vee twice. They have a terrific light; noticeably whiter and brighter (and with 10% few cavities) than standard bulbs, but two sets failed very quickly. Maybe it was the Vee but I don't think so. Phillips' Motobulbs are just as bright and are heavy-duty rated for motorcycle use, and they lasted 2 years and were still working when I sold the Vee. Spaceman recommended.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
which Phillips' Motobulb does our CB take? Any links to one would be appreciated.
It's an H-4 bulb, which is great because there's a zillion options. In the Motobulb line you could go with the BlueVision, the X-tremeVision, the CrystalVision, or the CityVision. I installed the CrystalVision because it looks like a Zenon bulb; super white.

You can buy these bulbs in lots of places; Cycle Gear carries them, Amazon, various m/c parts places online, etc.
 
There are some CB1100ers switching to the PIAA H4 which is claimed to be the top of the mountain. I was all set to buy one off ebay this morning but the "non-compatibility" for the 2014 CB1100 made me step back. So, I plugged in 2013 in the compatibility chart and got the same "Non-compatibility" answer. So my question is will the PIAA bulb work and it is it superior to the NAPA 9003 White light bulb?
As a side note, the OEM bulb on my 2002 VT1100C was so lame that I replaced it for a short time with the NAPA bulb, then went with the HID 6000K set up. Quickly learned that on coming drivers did not like the high beam shinning in their face and I thought to myself, point well made-I have been seen.
When the time comes to replace the CB bulb I'll try the NAPA one. It is a 60/55 watt bulb. The mounting looks the same as the H4 bulb.
 
Thread starter
A 9003 is an H4 bulb.
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
Hmm, I've previously had good luck using a PIAA bulb on my Harley. Used the Sylvania Silver Lights on my car which was a modest improvement too. An LED bulb sounds like an interesting idea as well. When I ride during daylight hours, I use the high beam so Fred & Ethel Grope can better see me. When that filament burns out, I still have a functioning low beam as a back up. Sorry to hear of your bad experience with PIAA...

The Bee
VERY interesting - but don't pull the trigger yet. LED aftermarket bulbs are more "show" lights than they are usable light.

Someone over at the ADV board bought several and compared them on an aiming wall, against stock halogen H4s. While the good ones throw more light, it's not aimed as well. Partly because of the position of the diodes to the reflectors, which are not the same as the filaments in the OEM bulbs; and also because of the nature of the light source - not one filament but a bank of diodes.

I bought one for a different reason - my BMW R1100RT would overheat at our long in-town stoplights here on hot days. The simple solution is to kill the engine while the light makes its way through the five-minute cycle (no joke) - but the headlight on, after doing this many times, would knock the battery down. Turning the key off is both a pain and also kills turn signals and brake light.

SO...since I seldom ride after dark...I bought a Chinese 4 watt H4 base LED. Now, as an indicator; a display of the headlight being on...it was fine. As actual light at night, it was about as effective as a scooter headlight. And not aimed. It had the three-prong H4 base; but it shows no difference, HI and LO beam. The only thing that changes is the hi-beam indicator goes on.

On the BMW, replacing the headlight bulb was easy. So I just took the regular halogen bulb with me, wrapped in bubble wrap...figured if I got caught out after sundown, I could change it out.

Since then, I sold the BMW and bought my in-town scoot, the Eliminator 125. Put that halogen bulb in there; and for some of the same reasons. In this case, it's because the charging system is marginal and it's sometimes hard to start...no point in drawing down the battery with a high-current headlamp.

Popping it in the Kawasaki housing, exact same thing. It's fine as a running light; not so good as light to run by. It's adequate for up to about 35 mph but no faster. BUT it throws bright glare into oncoming drivers' vision.

So, my advice would be to stay away from the LED stuff for the time being - unless it's OEM and designed in.
 
Back
Top