Header wrap installed

Carguy1959_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I put some black header wrap on today. I did not remove the header to do this. It took me about 4hrs to put it on. I wrapped it all the way to the end of the header. No waste. The wrap came with 6 metal tie wraps, no enough. I used hose clamps to attach it to the top of the pipes. With my windjammer, you can't see them. I sprayed them with high heat clear, lightly when done. I did this to keep the fiber glass in place and not shed.
If you try this, wear gloves and sleeves.
 
Hey there Carguy1959 that's looking good. Any chance you can take a few more pics from other angles please ... would be good to see how 'look' suits the whole machine. Cheers from Oz.
 
I did that on a set of race car headers, once. It warped the headers and ruined them. Just my 2 cents but if you don't like the tarnish get them coated by someone like Jet Hot. Nemo has his coated and they look sweet. :biker:
 
I've heard wrap can hold water and cause the headers to rust / rot underneath.

Don't know if that is true or not, but I wouldn't risk it myself.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I've heard wrap can hold water and cause the headers to rust / rot underneath.

Don't know if that is true or not, but I wouldn't risk it myself.
Wish I had a pic of what was left of my headers that I wrapped. Totally ruined. Had to buy a new set, had them coated, no more problems.
 
Thread starter
Most cheap automotive headers are made of thin low grade steel. Our bike headers are thicker and stainless steel. I'm not sayin they won't rust/corrode but it will take a long time. By then I will most likely replace the whole exhaust with a 4 into 1, 1 piece version..
Also sending them off is not an option, I ride daily.
 
I would like to see your windjammer. I have been scouring the internet for a decent wind screen. My Puig plus does not do the job. It is very nice and was a good price but I need more protection. I have a windjammer III on my 1972 CB750 and love it.

Thank you

George
Arizona
 
Carguy1959_imp said:
Heat and now I don't have to look at those ugly tarnished pipes

Carguy,

My pipes look just like this over a year after coating them with Jet Hot bright finish. No more ugly bronze pipes.

Chip

 
Ya know, while I like the "blacked-out" look of my 14' Standard. I really do like the small amounts of chrome on the bike i.e., the fenders, headers, etc. personally, I'm not one to find ways to black it out further. If your primary goal is to avoid header tarnish (and do so in a less intrusive and cost effective manner), than polish the header pipes with Autosol as needed. I ride about 6K miles per year, and a good polish twice per year is plenty.
 
Back
Top