Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:I think I have mentioned this before in another thread but what I have found works for me is using Semichome metal polish and some 000 or 0000 fine steel wool. Put a small dab of the polish on the steel wool and work an area of the header until shiny. Keep adding polish to clean areas of the steel wool as you work the header pipe. It does take some elbow grease and about an hour to do the entire system. Once clean, wipe down the header pipes with a clean rag and some WD40. The pipes will smoke a bit upon start up and will turn a nice golden amber in color but no more spots. Now, after each ride, I wipe the headers down with a rag and some WD40 and my pipes still look spot free.
Semichrome will remove the spots, but it takes a hell of a lot of work. A Dremel with a buff pad and Semichrome takes it right off, but it's a mess.1100rider_imp said:I tried the scotch brite pad yesterday and it did nothing. I then tried a little semichrome polish on a small area and it did shine the header but did not remove the spotting. I will just live with it I guess.
Stainless Steel color changes due exhaust heat and temperature is a 'natural' thing to have happen.1100rider_imp said:Why does it take so much work to remove something that should not be there? Is this a manufacturing error or is it common. I did notice that the 2013 and 2014 pipes on brand new showroom bikes are of a different color.
That is pretty amazing! Be sure and let everyone know how it lasts.The ferret_imp said:That is pretty amazing! Be sure and let everyone know how it lasts.Elipten_imp said:Live test of Optiglanz today. Kevin came over and used it on his bike today. He has not cleaned the bike since purchase.
One wipe with the Optiglanz and like magic the color changes and the red rag turned blue. A few more wipes and it is amazing. There are still some brown spots left and I thing some other polish would do the trick, but for a no elbow grease, no time great cleaning this stuff really does work.
I'm not easily impressed, but this was like the old late night Tarnix commercials from the 1980's.
Here is a picture of the one manifold on the right after the first wipe.
We will see how long it lasts
Of course, due to the sloppy way I applied it the "giraffe stains" did not vanish. I will drive and wait some hundred kilometers and check whether the discoloration comes back again. If so, I will again apply it and try harder. 