Header Discoloration

Nice, Elipten.

Do Jeeps still do that? My coworker's husband's Jeep just got stranded due to a fairly new battery being dead. 2008 model.

Anyone who tries getting their headers coked up, report your findings please!
 
I got delivery of the Optiglanz yesterday, took one week exactly. I read the instructions included in the package, and did the best I could to follow them, with favorable but mixed results. They said to spray it on the headers, and leave on for 1-3 minutes, but to rinse off any other parts that got overspray immediately. (With a hot water jet - where would I get that?) Can't imagine how it was even possible to rinse that selectively... Anyway, the product took off most of the stains pretty quickly, so I hosed it all down right away. The remaining spots came off after about 10 minutes of rubdown with Mother's, and now the headers look pretty good. Admittedly, mine were pretty far gone...

On the down side, the Optiglanz discolored the engine mount collars with milky white spots. :( They are right there by the headers - awful tough to ensure no product got on them. Not a huge big deal, but I don't like it and may repaint or replace them. Thank goodness it didn't harm the engine or frame paint or whatever!

Overall, works as advertised, but be careful with the stuff! Maybe dabbing it on with a sponge would be safer? Not sure if I'll use it again, I'd worry about messing up something else.
 
Firstfour_imp said:
I got delivery of the Optiglanz yesterday, took one week exactly. I read the instructions included in the package, and did the best I could to follow them, with favorable but mixed results. They said to spray it on the headers, and leave on for 1-3 minutes, but to rinse off any other parts that got overspray immediately. (With a hot water jet - where would I get that?) Can't imagine how it was even possible to rinse that selectively... Anyway, the product took off most of the stains pretty quickly, so I hosed it all down right away. The remaining spots came off after about 10 minutes of rubdown with Mother's, and now the headers look pretty good. Admittedly, mine were pretty far gone...

On the down side, the Optiglanz discolored the engine mount collars with milky white spots. :( They are right there by the headers - awful tough to ensure no product got on them. Not a huge big deal, but I don't like it and may repaint or replace them. Thank goodness it didn't harm the engine or frame paint or whatever!

Overall, works as advertised, but be careful with the stuff! Maybe dabbing it on with a sponge would be safer? Not sure if I'll use it again, I'd worry about messing up something else.
I noted the warnings on the label and used a paper towel to apply it to the headers, being careful not to touch anything else. FWIW.
 
Firstfour_imp said:
I got delivery of the Optiglanz yesterday, took one week exactly. I read the instructions included in the package, and did the best I could to follow them, with favorable but mixed results. They said to spray it on the headers, and leave on for 1-3 minutes, but to rinse off any other parts that got overspray immediately. (With a hot water jet - where would I get that?) Can't imagine how it was even possible to rinse that selectively... Anyway, the product took off most of the stains pretty quickly, so I hosed it all down right away. The remaining spots came off after about 10 minutes of rubdown with Mother's, and now the headers look pretty good. Admittedly, mine were pretty far gone...

On the down side, the Optiglanz discolored the engine mount collars with milky white spots. :( They are right there by the headers - awful tough to ensure no product got on them. Not a huge big deal, but I don't like it and may repaint or replace them. Thank goodness it didn't harm the engine or frame paint or whatever!

Overall, works as advertised, but be careful with the stuff! Maybe dabbing it on with a sponge would be safer? Not sure if I'll use it again, I'd worry about messing up something else.
When applying Optiglanz, I use rubber gloves and place a piece of cardboard (12 pack beer container works nicely) between the pipes and the frame. Spray it on and then use a sponge to move it up to the area where the pipes are bolted to the head. Leave it on two minutes and rinse with cold water. No muss, no fuss, no mess, no stains.

Also, when I received my Staintune muffler, the brochure included with the muffler contained some great tips for polishing stainless steel. If you use Simichrome, Mother's, Blue-job, Meguir's or whatever brand, they highly recommend washing the pipes with a mild carwash soap and water immediately following the polish job. Given the high heat nature of an exhaust system, often times the chemicals in the polish create the golden brown color. Works for me!
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Optiglanz is sold out on Amazon in the USA.
http://www.amazon.com/OptiGlanz-Stainless-Cleaner-Removes-Exhaust/dp/B007ZO52E8
Hope it comes back soon.
Any other supplies in the US at about the same price?
You could try here, at $24 U.S.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/3024570.html

Unfortunately, they want $30 to ship to Canada via USPS.

Napoleon Barbecue also makes a heat discoloration remover for stainless steel that I am going to look into...I'll see if the product is on the shelf at my local BBQ store and if it is as simple to use as Optiglanz.
 
My bottle of optiglanz, arrived with some leakage and the trigger pump does not work. Shipping liquids in a padded envelope not a good idea. Not an expert but is it permitted to ship liquids of this type in the post and air mail.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Optiglanz is sold out on Amazon in the USA.
http://www.amazon.com/OptiGlanz-Stainless-Cleaner-Removes-Exhaust/dp/B007ZO52E8
Hope it comes back soon.
Any other supplies in the US at about the same price?
You could try here, at $24 U.S.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/3024570.html

Unfortunately, they want $30 to ship to Canada via USPS.

Napoleon Barbecue also makes a heat discoloration remover for stainless steel that I am going to look into...I'll see if the product is on the shelf at my local BBQ store and if it is as simple to use as Optiglanz.
You could try here, at $24 U.S.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/3024570.html

Unfortunately, they want $30 to ship to Canada via USPS.

Thanks! It says $7.95 USPS Priority to USA

Napoleon Barbecue also makes a heat discoloration remover for stainless steel that I am going to look into...I'll see if the product is on the shelf at my local BBQ store and if it is as simple to use as Optiglanz.
 
Yeah mine are wretchedly discoloured. I am looking forward to the new exhaust. I'm sure the fact that my bike is outside all season (though covered up when I'm not riding) doesn't help either.
 
Thread starter
My dealer contacted the Honda Rep and was told to use Scotch Brite to try and remove the discoloration. The headers are stainless steel. I went to Walgreens and found the product and the back of the package says it can be used on SS. I have not tried it yet but will post later on the results.
 
1100rider_imp said:
My dealer contacted the Honda Rep and was told to use Scotch Brite to try and remove the discoloration. The headers are stainless steel. I went to Walgreens and found the product and the back of the package says it can be used on SS. I have not tried it yet but will post later on the results.
Use the Scotch Brite lightly!! Then I used the Mothers Mag polish. Worked great with only a little elbow grease. It took care of the spots and the pipes look great. I haven't riden in the rain and have put around 2000 miles on and the pipes still look pretty good. P.S. Do not let the bike sit and idle for long periods of time, remmber she's air cooled. I had posted a thread with pictures on it when I did mine, but I can't find it now.
 
I have a new technique now. It takes about an hour:

Start with the Muhfuh's Mag polish. I spooge some product on the pipe, wrap a strip of tee short twice around, then pull back and forth while sliding the rag up and down. That takes the top layer of crap off.

Next is a Dremel at half speed with a metal polishing biscuit. That takes the liver spots off and starts to shine the metal.

Last is Semichrome with a rag. That evens up the shine from the Dremel, and the Semichrome leaves a protective coating.

Its a job no doubt, nut the last time I did it it looked good for a couple months. We're in the rainy season now so that may not be the case this time.
 
Thread starter
I tried the scotch brite pad yesterday and it did nothing. I then tried a little semichrome polish on a small area and it did shine the header but did not remove the spotting. I will just live with it I guess.
 
After the Peek metal polish I usually use for chrome, aluminium and st/steel did not even touch this corrosion I went for it with 1000 grade wet and dry. I then polished it with the Peek (same as Solvol Autosol) and got a good result. Trouble is 500 miles later it now looks as it did.
I have had stainless exhaust headers on bikes before and they have never done this, so I am now pretty convinced that the PAIR valve is the culprit.

Cheers
Dengie
 
Live test of Optiglanz today. Kevin came over and used it on his bike today. He has not cleaned the bike since purchase.

One wipe with the Optiglanz and like magic the color changes and the red rag turned blue. A few more wipes and it is amazing. There are still some brown spots left and I thing some other polish would do the trick, but for a no elbow grease, no time great cleaning this stuff really does work.

I'm not easily impressed, but this was like the old late night Tarnix commercials from the 1980's.

Here is a picture of the one manifold on the right after the first wipe.

We will see how long it lasts

 
Yes it was pretty spectacularly effective. Discoloration just faded away! Also washed and waxed it for the first time to make it look showroom-nice again. We went inside to spec out a potentially better bike for my wife when I got a call that caused me to rush out urgently, and the newly washed bike had gotten rained on when we weren't looking!
 
Elipten_imp said:
Live test of Optiglanz today. Kevin came over and used it on his bike today. He has not cleaned the bike since purchase.

One wipe with the Optiglanz and like magic the color changes and the red rag turned blue. A few more wipes and it is amazing. There are still some brown spots left and I thing some other polish would do the trick, but for a no elbow grease, no time great cleaning this stuff really does work.

I'm not easily impressed, but this was like the old late night Tarnix commercials from the 1980's.

Here is a picture of the one manifold on the right after the first wipe.

We will see how long it lasts
That is pretty amazing! Be sure and let everyone know how it lasts.
 
I was told by my Honda dealer that they had a tech bulletin on the need to clean the header to remove the Cosmoline. So those getting new bike may want to check at pickup but probably to late as I suspect if dealer ran engine it burned the Cosmoline and I suspect that crests the spots everyone talks about.

Interesting thing is my 1990 BMW K75RT has a stainless exhaust system and has never been cleaned except for car washing soap. Other than age and the blue tint from heat it is shinny , not like chrome but not like the Honda brown. I suspect ferrous stainless rather than nickel stainless. Any one test with a magnet? I will do it later.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top