Head lamp Stone guards

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I feel certain i've seen a picture or two of a CB11 with a stone guard cage over the head lamp, but the only ones i'm turning up online are for Bonnevilles. Does anybody know of a manufacturer that makes one fittable on the CB11 or is it just about making a bonne guard fit?

for reference, this kind of thing:
28a7883aa41dcb09982635b765582e5d.jpg
 
Do you want it for looks? Unlike the old glass lenses, the CB's headlight lens is a Lexan plastic. Doubt if a rock could break it. Might crack it though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Do you want it for looks? Unlike the old glass lenses, the CB's headlight lens is a Lexan plastic. Doubt if a rock could break it. Might crack it though.
Lexan (polycarbonate) is very tough!
 
Thread starter
Ok, read the whole thing. It seems the summary is some folks found kind of a flimsy one that they were able to screw or zip tie into place. I've got that one book marked, just in case I can't find anything else. I'm a bit intrigued by this one: http://www.luxmachineinc.com/new-products/3-1-converter-headlight-shield

But I'm not yet sure if it's exactly the look I want. Still toying with the idea of getting one of the triumph guards to fit. Like so: Iron Cobra's headlight guard for Triumphs & others

It even says in he description that it "
Can fit any other bike with a side mount headlight and a 8 3/4" to 7" width between the ears" so I have high hopes for it.


I also found this: http://www.max-inc.com.au/7-inch-matte-black-mesh-metal-headlight-ecover/

But I can't quite envision how it's mounted from the description, so I'm Worried.
 
That link to max-inc doesn’t seem to work.
 
Mister... I did not read into the thread I posted that any of the grills that were mentioned were flimsy. Metallyguitarded didn't like the look of the mounting brackets that came with the grill and substituted zip ties. I recall MG saying that he liked this mod and he was fairly particular about what he added to his bike.

I've wanted to do this mod, so I'd be interested in seeing your final choice and how it worked for you.

The max-inc link did not look for me, either.
 
The chance that your headlamp will be hit by stone and break is almost zero.
In my opinion, any headlamp protector is useless/waste of money...not to mention about illuminance (lux/lumen) restrictions = think safety first, than appearance/mods..

All have safe riding
pb
 
Thanks, peter. Pretty sure that folks doing this mod are well aware that this is an "appearance only" mod. I'm not convinced that the installation of some versions of the grill would result in decreased visibility or an appreciable degradation in range or pattern of the light. At a cost of less than $30, some might find it worth trying.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, peter. Pretty sure that folks doing this mod are well aware that this is an "appearance only" mod. I'm not convinced that the installation of some versions of the grill would result in decreased visibility or an appreciable degradation in range or pattern of the light. At a cost of less than $30, some might find it worth trying.
i'd be open to the idea of upgrading the lamp itself in brightness if it was the best idea to complete the mod. I know some have gone to an LED lamp, which is like the holy sun god itself, blinding all in its path.

Either way i'll confirm again that I don't really have any fears about rocks or anything breaking my lamp. It's about aesthetics.
 
^^ Yes, I would probably look at upgrading the headlight itself as part of this mod if i decide to do it at all. Also, for myself, I'd want the grill to be removable without tools if I found that it was hindering either my vision or my conspicuity when riding at night.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
^^ Yes, I would probably look at upgrading the headlight itself as part of this mod if i decide to do it at all. Also, for myself, I'd want the grill to be removable without tools if I found that it was hindering either my vision or my conspicuity when riding at night.
now that's something i haven't found at all, other than the zip-tie idea from the other thread. they all have some sort of set screw, bolt, or other apparatus to get them into place.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, peter. Pretty sure that folks doing this mod are well aware that this is an "appearance only" mod. I'm not convinced that the installation of some versions of the grill would result in decreased visibility or an appreciable degradation in range or pattern of the light. At a cost of less than $30, some might find it worth trying.
i'd be open to the idea of upgrading the lamp itself in brightness if it was the best idea to complete the mod. I know some have gone to an LED lamp, which is like the holy sun god itself, blinding all in its path.

Either way i'll confirm again that I don't really have any fears about rocks or anything breaking my lamp. It's about aesthetics.
i'd be open to the idea of upgrading the lamp itself in brightness if it was the best idea to complete the mod. I know some have gone to an LED lamp, which is like the holy sun god itself, blinding all in its path.

Either way i'll confirm again that I don't really have any fears about rocks or anything breaking my lamp. It's about aesthetics.
More light....
You can go for a complete LED lamp assy upgrade...or just the LED bulb.
Good luck

pb
 
Thread starter
that looks spot on, the question is, how do you mount it to the bucket? i've never messed around with it, so i've got no perspective on these things. wonder if i could get a peak at the instructions without buying one...
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
that looks spot on, the question is, how do you mount it to the bucket? i've never messed around with it, so i've got no perspective on these things. wonder if i could get a peak at the instructions without buying one...
I don't think it will be difficult to install the clips. I'd have to tinker around with it. However, It has occurred to me that one could use black velcro straps to attach the grill to the outside of the bucket or the headlight bracket unobtrusively without having to disassemble anything. Still noodling on this
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
that looks spot on, the question is, how do you mount it to the bucket? i've never messed around with it, so i've got no perspective on these things. wonder if i could get a peak at the instructions without buying one...
I think, on a 17 at least, the headlight is flat, but that grill is like a dome.

I don't know if that would look right.
 
I haven't seen a flat grill for the flat headlights on most modern bikes, including all versions of the CB1100. I have seen this mod done before on the CB1100 and the convex grill against the flat light does not look odd at all.

However, since the headlight covers are flat, I thought to myself "I wonder if there is a cheaper way to get a flat grill".....and there is!

Amazon.com

$13.00 from Amazon.
 
Great for using the headlight’s heat for cooking bugs.
 
Back
Top