Hazard of filling tank while sitting on the bike

Good one furious_blue. It took nearly a minute to get the fire extinguishers going. It was probably quicker than it seemed, but it did look to me like people hadn't really been trained in their use.
 
Wow, I have done this a few times in Oregon as they usually have the fuel nozzle ready for you as you pull up. Never again!
 
Hmm, this is definitely some food for thought as I've pretty much always remained seated on my bike when filling up. However, I've never fully engaged the nozzle, relying on the auto shut-off feature. I didn't think anyone on a bike did, maybe I'm wrong?
 
I was taught 40 years ago never to fuel sitting on the bike. Now I know why. The poor rider was on fire in the background.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I always thought it was common sense to get off the bike when fueling....Gives my butt a break too :D
I agree 100%.
As far as I'm concerned, it's much too awkward to do it sitting on the bike anyway.
It's a good chance for a butt rest as you said.
 
I'm not in the least bit concerned about the extremely unlikely possabilty of engulfing my tropical region in flames. It's a million to one shot. I started getting off the bike and putting it on the center stand for fueling for three other reasons: First, as Blockhead stated, it gives my butt (legs, back) a chance to stretch. Second, and most important, the unoccupied seat gives me a stable and non-grimy platform on which to rest my tank bag. Now, I don't have to worry about the magnets picking up any sort of metal flakes that might be on the ground or getting dirt, grease, or fuel on the bag. Third, I can see into the tank easier from the side. I also am convinced that I can squeeze a few extra drops of fuel in this way, but that has not been scientifically proven to my knowledge. Happy fueling!
 
Guilty. I usually remain sitting on the tank. We don't have attendants my area.

I slowly and carefully fill the tank, trying hard not to splash as much as a drop of gas on the tank. I stop filling short of full because many pumps don't stop immediately when you disengage the pump handle.

Some pumps seem to have 2 speeds - full off or full on - making it extremely difficult to regulate flow. If that's the case, I get off the bike.
 
Same for me, first reason is we don't have attendants here, and 2nd is I wouldn't like this beautiful tank being damaged by an uncareful attendant. Of course you have to be careful when you fill the tank, but that's plain common sense. Plus, it saves time.
 
always off while fueling, not so much for safety but for reasons mentioned above by others.....plus I wear Dainese, would not want gas accidentally spilled on them :-)
 
As far as I'm able to see it at all at this video, I don't think, this happened BECAUSE the rider was still sitting on the bike.

However, as he was sitting on the bike, he surely was more involved, when this happened.
 
I can not ever remember fueling a bike while sitting on it, always on the center stand off the bike. Get off stretch grab my wallet out of back pocket which would be a PITA sitting on the back. Stretching to get the nozzle I could see a pulled latissimus dorsi LOL
 
I have usually filled up while sitting on the bike but I never use the auto fill and I am watching the fuel level as I fill. Takes two hands to do it right since here in Oregon we have the nozzle covers that I have to manually hold up while I run the pump handle with the other hand.

Hasn't been an issue for decades but I might change my daredevil ways concerning this.
 
Never had a problem at a filling station, but years ago had an FLH backfire thru the carb and set the bike on fire leaving an intersection. Yeah, that got interesting quick.
 
The guy on the bike is an idiot with his cell phone out, first of all. Secondly it looks like the attendant is also missing a couple of slices from his loaf as well and lets hot fuel drip onto the exhaust manifold and thus the flash point all of a sudden. I get off my bikes now but I have filled a tank before sitting on the bike. I think sauteed meatballs from the Italian place down the corner are enough for me, thank you very much!
 
gossman_imp said:
I have usually filled up while sitting on the bike but I never use the auto fill and I am watching the fuel level as I fill. Takes two hands to do it right since here in Oregon we have the nozzle covers that I have to manually hold up while I run the pump handle with the other hand.

Hasn't been an issue for decades but I might change my daredevil ways concerning this.
A buddy and I rode out to California last summer and those crazy gas handles that take 2 hands really baffled us the first time we tried to use one.
 
I've done it this way forever, keeps the bike level so I can get maximum fill.

The reason stated for the fire was the automatic shut off valve failed. I carefully use both hands, always manually squeeze the handle for minimum flow and look inside the tank at the same time to make sure I don't over fill. I can't imagine trusting the overflow automatic shutoff valve to do it for me.

Also from what I understand the automatic shut off valve works by sucking air, when it can't suck air, it thinks it's full and shuts off...but if you don't put the nozzle in far enough, it will keep sucking air and never think it's full....let me know if I'm wrong on this.

I figure the only real danger is if I get a spark from the nozzle to the tank so I always touch them together and ground it first before I start filling.

Now if it were to blow up, I'm looking right into the tank, probably not a good thing, but I'm too old to change now ;-)
 
I typically have a tank bag that needs to be moved to gain access to the filler so sitting on the bike is not an option. In any event, I feel that I have more control when I'm standing to the side as I fill up.
 
Back
Top