Have you ever considered quitting riding?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
In 1968 I was 18 and had been riding for 3 years. I had moved up from a 50cc Aermacchi and was riding a 67 Honda CL 77 (305 Scrambler). I rode nearly every day. My father rode (Harley dresser), my older brother rode (Honda 450), my older sister and her husband rode (Honda 160) and my younger brother rode (Honda 150).

One day a lady in a green 54 Buick made a left turn in front of me and I center punched her front passenger door and launched over the top of her car landing on the other side. I was wearing a Buco open face helmet, and high point goggles. I was knocked unconscious and laid there like that for 45 minutes I was told. I had a broken nose, broke 7 teeth, my right hand and wrist were broken and my right big toe was broken. Had some gravel imbedded in my lips and gums.

While recovering at my parents house, one day my mom asked me what kind of bike I was going to replace my 305 with? I told mom that I was thinking about quitting riding. The wreck hurt and I didn't want to be hurt like that again. My mom said that if I quit I would regret it the rest of my life. That I loved riding and that I would miss it so much. She told me to think about it, which I did.. a lot.

She was right. I did love riding and I couldn't give it up. I replaced the 305 with a new 69 CB 350. There have been a lot of motorcycles, and I have travelled all over the US, some of Canada and 5 countries in Europe by motorcycle since then, and had I given it up, I would have missed all of those adventures almost all of which I shared with my wife who loves riding nearly as much as I do. If I had quit riding I would never have been able to share that with my son who loves to ride as well. One of the best decisions I ever made was to continue riding.

So...have you ever considered giving up riding?
 
I had given up riding for 3 or 4 years( after riding for 20+), than got the bug again, started looking at Bonneville's, saw the CB1100, now back to riding and love it again!

Hope all goes well...
 
Thread starter
Hiker..explain why you quit.
 
I quit ridding from 1987 until 2003. My GS1100 was in storage. My daughter was just born and my son was 5 yrs old. I had lost interest and the risk with two small children made my decision. I had the itch in 2005 and bought my XX Blackbird. I have caught up since then with ZRX1200, Superglide, ST1300, GSXR750, CBR1000RR and the CB1100. I made up for lost time I guess.

Ferret, my mom who's 86 still says your on that damn bike when ever i go to visit. My wife use to ride when we where teenagers but has not been on a bike for 38 years.

Edit: I been lucky to never have been down on the street. Many mishaps in the dirt.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hiker..explain why you quit.
I had put 35K miles on my 86 600 Ninja, 65K miles on my 86 900 Ninja by 1990, than the 900 Ninja was kept around for 20 years or so even though I moved on to other hobbies( hiking, biking, etc)
and I had lost my nerve...the few times I did take it out to keep it in use, I was scared.....eventually sold it to my brother so he could take better care of it.
I'm still not as care-free on my CB1100 but love riding it....I don't feel the need for speed like I used to either, and if I put the saddle bags on it, can ride slow without anyone laughing at me :-)
 
I rode British motorcycles back in the 50's, but gave it up to buy a car since I couldn't afford both at the time.
From 1958 until 1991 I didn't even think about motorcycles - especially after 1963 while raising a family and with my nose to the grindstone.
A co-worker re-introduced me to bikes in early 1992, the year I retired. After numerous visits to bike shops over the winter, just to hang around and for something to do on a cold Saturday, I was bitten and had a new NT650 Honda Hawk by April.
My retirement years have been wonderful and I've ridden in many parts of Canada; the USA and in Chile and Peru. It was while I was in Peru that I crashed and dislocated my shoulder to the extent that I needed shoulder replacement surgery.
That happened in July and by the following April I was back in the saddle and as fit as I ever was.
In spite of what happened, not once did my wife say that I should give it up and not once did I ever consider it.
 
Thread starter
wow Rocky. Not thinking about motorcycles for 33 years. Did you not even read motorcycle magazines during that time? You know pick one up at the grocery check out or read one while at the DR office? lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
wow Rocky. Not thinking about motorcycles for 33 years. Did you not even read motorcycle magazines during that time? You know pick one up at the grocery check out or read one while at the DR office? lol
No, I never did.
As far as I was concerned that part of my life was behind me and I concentrated on my career and family. I didn't even look up when a motorcycle went by.
Even though I had ridden a BSA 650 twin from here (Halifax) to Boston and back in 1957, I put it all behind me and never expected to ever ride again.
A younger co-worker got into motorcycles for the first time around age 45 in 1989 and began to encourage me to take it up again. At first I resisted and wasn't a bit interested, but a couple of years later after he dragged me to some of the bike shops many times over that winter of 91/92, and I saw what was available, I was awestruck and soon wilted.
The Honda bike shop had a brand new 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk still in the crate and wanted to get rid of it for an amazing price.
My buddy said that if I didn't buy it he was going to - just to have it.
I bought it and have never looked back :D
The past 21+ years have been some of the most fun times of my life because of motorcycles and the many places I've been on them.
My 10 day ride through the Canadian Rocky Mountains in 2010 was simply amazing. I thought the Andes Mountains of Chile and Peru were wonderful in 2008, but not compared to the Rockies.
Wonderful memories because of motorcycles.
I'll be 77 this year, and in excellent health with not an ache or a pain, so I don't expect to be giving this up anytime soon - barring anything unfortunate.
 
I was in kinda the same boat. Played with bikes in my teens & early twenties then put that part of my life on hold until I got other things done. I did still check out the moto rags from time to time. But that was pretty much it.

Glad you got that Hawk, Rocky, and got back into it. You have a great life story there.
 
Thread starter
I agree with DAC, that is just an awesome story.

Canadian Rockies huh? Never been there. Sounds like I need to start planning a trip. I love mountains.
 
Thanks guys :thumbsup:
I love mountains too, but it wasn't until 2008 when I saw real mountains in South America.
We have highlands here, but no real mountains. The closest mountains around here are the White Mountains of New Hampshire and I've been there on a bike and also by car many times.
I thought the Andes Mountains were great, and they are, but after riding through the Rockies they don't compare.
But it's all about perspective I suppose. In the Andes you ride very high up most of the time and the mountains don't tower over you all that much.
In the Rockies you ride down in the valleys much of the time and the mountains tower over you - depending on the route. Looking up at those majestic mountains is awe inspiring.
It was something I had to do on a motorcycle and it was wonderful!!
 
Rather similar to 'HikerToo' and in sympathy with 'Rocky' I too took a sebatocal from two wheeled fantasticness.

I started riding on a pals farm when I was about 12 or 13. Had a bike of my own at 14 and rode legaly aged 16.

Owned countless bikes from them until 2008 when I sold my Triumph Speed Four. I needed the money as my business had just collapsed and a nasty bit or work had left me paying her off to get out of my house.

I spent a good few years rebuilding my financial situation, and taking paid work. Last year I decided i needed another biking fix, spurred on by a colleague buying a bike in his forties and learning to ride. As I was an ex motorcycle instructor he asked my advice, and I decided buying a bike and riding with him would be the best way to help him.

I bought a Yamaha FZ6N (naked, not available in the US) and rode it several hundred miles home. It made my hand go numb and felt horrible. I sat on it for a year, before doing what I'd wanted to do a year earlier when I first sat on the (my actual) CB1100, by buying the CB.

I might not tear-arse about at 140mph everywhere anymore, but my rides on the CB feel far more visceral at lower speeds since I'm enjoying the whole experience.

It's a little like when you're young you buy cheap, nasty fast food, and scoff it down so you can go out and meet your friends. As you get older, you stay in and cook something delicious, which you eat slowly and savour every bite.

That gents, is the CB1100, the Gastronomical antidote to a world of fast food race reps and increasingly 'adventure bikes'.

Will I stop riding, no. Never again. Life's simply too short.

:beerchug:

England about to kick off, see you later...:clap:
shdwghst457_imp said:
So rocky, since the '89 NT isn't listed in your signature, does that mean those five bikes are your current collection?
He's 77, he can't remember EVERYTHING! :-/
 
Quote:I'll be 77 this year, and in excellent health with not an ache or a pain, so I don't expect to be giving this up anytime soon
Wow! Truly inspiring!! Thanks for sharing Rocky, I can only hope to be as cool as you are!!

Ride on!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
So rocky, since the '89 NT isn't listed in your signature, does that mean those five bikes are your current collection?
Yes, I sold the NT650 to a friend who still has it.
Looking back I should have kept it as he doesn't take care of it like I did - but then everyone isn't as anal as I am :D.
It was a wonderful bike and I rode it over 80,000 km's and never had one issue with it. It still runs just as well; just doesn't get the TLC it deserves.
 
Great story Rocky.

I bought my first bike in 1971 and replaced it in 1972 or 1973 (I don't recall now) with a larger model. Seemed like I rode for ever, but in June 1973 a chap turned right from the left lane across the right lane to get to the street he wanted. The fact that I was in the right lane was a minor inconvenience and I T-boned him. I had minor injuries, but they took a while to heal and I spent a year off, all the time wanting to get back on again. When I finally did, I realised I'd lost my nerve. I found the whole business of driving in traffic too damned scary, so I bought a car and lost interest a bit, although I'd admire bikes from afar and occasionally ride on the back of a mate's bike.

In around 1984, with a young family and no money, I needed a cheap commuter to get to work in a slightly inconvenient place and bought a Honda C90. 105 mpg, able to play in traffic; daggy but fun. I rode it for about 3 years and then had another loss of nerve, persuading myself it was only a matter of time before someone knocked me off again. So I bought another car which, with the benefit of hindsight, I suspect was far more dangerous than the C90.

I kept looking enviously at bikes and people with them and thinking I'd like to do it again; every now and again someone wold let me ride one round the block and I remembered how much I enjoyed it. But work, family, money (although the last one was an excuse not a reason) meant I did nothing about it until 2010 when, encouraged by my wife, I decided I really wanted to get back on again. The rest is history and here I am riding and participating in a motor cycle forum.

I mostly didn't miss it while I wasn't doing it, but I'm so very glad I got back on again.
 
I bought my first bike (a little KZ400) in the spring of 1980 and have been on two wheels ever since. I had a few bad get offs in the early years, but I never considered giving it up (much to the chagrin of my parents).

Until I got my first plane, it was the most fun way to get anywhere. Nowadays I split between flying and riding. I've owned my Nissan pickup for 15 yrs. and it has only left town a few times in its life. :P
 
I got into bikes through a HS friend of mine in the early 70's. I bought and rode a 71 Yamaha CT175 Enduro, with him, all over the trails of northwestern NJ before I had a drivers license. Got the license, registered the bike, and found out it was too small for the road. Sold it, and my Dad helped me pick out (and pay for) a 70 Kawasaki H1 500. I didn't realize what I was buying, and neither did he. A good thing as you know what a hot rod it was. I took that bike to college in Florida and road with my future wife all over the place. I sold it to buy a car (damn shame...), and then bought a Kawasaki KZ400 in 1975 as a second vehicle. I rode that bike from Florida to NJ one summer and from Florida to Chicago the next. It was a great bike. After I got married, I sold it to buy a 2nd car. Then a year later I bought a 77 Yamaha DT 250 do I could get back in the dirt. Guess what...there's NO dirt in Florida so after washing out a few times in the sand, I sold it in 79 and that was it until 2003. Houses, kids, career, and everything that goes with it kept bikes out of the garage. I flirted buying one each for my son and I when he was about 14 when we lived in Alabama but he was more interested in a go-cart (which we didn't buy) so that was that. In 2003, living now in North Georgia, my wife and I are sitting outside at a Starbucks when some bikes go buy. I looked at my wife....asked her if we could go down to the Harley dealer and just 'look'. I had to have a Harley... I rode a new Sportster home that afternoon and have not looked back. I'm 58 now and look forward to at least another 20-25 years of riding. Rocky is my inspiration... at 77, and he's still at it. I hope I can do that too. I wish I never got away from it.
 
Cool stories guys :thumbsup:
There seems to be a common thread of family, jobs, etc., for most of us.
And thanks for the flattering remarks. I don't think of myself as being an inspiration, but I :thanks: for thinking that. It just seems "normal" to me :D
I will tell you though, that to be as healthy and alert as I am, and to be having the fun that I am on a bike(s) at my age, is worth all the gold in the world. I jump out of bed every morning ready to go. No moaning, groaning, stiffness, etc. I am truly blessed.
And where else could I have met such a nice bunch of guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top