Have a Deluxe but Still Jonesing for a Standard

Yeah man! At my local Honda dealer back in early 15' just getting back into motorsports after a looonng break.
Saw the 13 ' standard sat on it...and rode her home....just took me back to my youth.
Great " Retro Vintage looker!
2fcbeedcdc3067124dfd84d83e0354f3.jpg


2013 Cb 1100 , 73 Cb 500 four ,72 Cb 500 four (do the ton) 82 Cb650Sc "Nighthawk "
 
I've had a 2013 standard, a 2014 standard and now a 2017 EX, and I really don't entirely love the looks of any of them.

If I were able to pick and choose, my perfect CB1100 would have:
- 2013 standard with the polished/black wheels, and black engine with polished sidecases.
- 2014 standard black tank and sidecovers, and 6-speed and gear change indicator
- 2017 EX twin exhaust

I put the 2014 bodywork on my 2013, but without the 6-speed, it was a deal breaker for me.

 
I love all these different looks...only thing I've done to my '17ex is add crash bars. Maybe have to look into a blue or silver tank for it one day not too soon...for now, need tires!
 
needing tires good. means someone has been riding!
 
The ferret_imp said:
needing tires good. means someone has been riding!
Nothing too dramatic. I've had the ex for 2 yrs now, about 8300 miles, so a bit over 4k per year. Between it and the klr, I think I'm at less than 7k per year. But...may have time for long OR to Illinois and beyond trip this summer.
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
I have a super nice 2014 Deluxe, but for some reason I always find my self looking at the ads for the 2014 Standard. I know it is silly and irrational, but it must have something to do with the first time I got a close look at a CB1100. Not long before I found my Deluxe I stopped at a close by dealer and they had a new Standard on the floor that I almost bought. A week or so later I found a good deal on a slightly used Deluxe and bought it instead. But the Standard is still imprinted on my mind!

I know other than the lack of ABS the riding experience will be identical. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to wear out my Deluxe, but I cant get the Standard out of my head. I really like the way they did the blacked out look on it and the 4 into 1 exhaust.

I am trying to talk myself out of doing it! But the desire for a Standard keeps coming back to roost at least a couple times a year.

This is the bike that imprinted itself on my brain.



That’s what did it for my,went back 3-4 times to look at it but hated the wheels,4 years later picked one up for half price. First thing to go,the wheels.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Interesting....I use 6th gear all the time on my 14, almost any time I'm over 55 mph.
This is true. After six seasons, sixth gear is finding more use all the time. Or maybe the rider is just getting more mellow.
 
Heh, I started using 6th, but after a few years I used mostly 5th. This, however, likely had much to do with regional Toronto freeway traffic density and the need to be ready to move in a hurry (5th or 4th).
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I had 3 phases, on a 2013.




ACK
Man, I have to admit that I do like the look of the 2013 with the black side panels. If I were ever to decide to abandon the the stock colorway, that would be the route I would go. Mine still looks like this:
6a526a2929eae5e86762c31b226d5705.jpg

1b527ff59273b8e03f1a3e94c3901f07.jpg
 
I vote red for Guth, but I can see a [metallic] flat black too.

I actually see nothing wrong with the original and durable factory silver.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I vote red for Guth, but I can see a [metallic] flat black too.

I actually see nothing wrong with the original and durable factory silver.
Neither do I GO. By default I've already voted for silver side panels due to the fact that I've never wanted to change them.

That said, the black side panels do look good to me and have some very nice historical tie-ins when it comes to CB history...
cb9af811917802a5b630462e418f7dbd.jpg

a777db0be290451b0eaa7ddf04f5d5a4.jpg
 
I definitely think the black side panels look great as wall as bring the the 1100 back to a different era and history of identity of the Honda .

That being said , you cant take away from how the silver panels with Red tank instantly identify with the 13' Cb 1100 within it's own place of the Honda evolution....as well as the later years with their own changes they identify with!




2013 Cb 1100 "
 
Back
Top