Have a Deluxe but Still Jonesing for a Standard

Dave Swanson

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a super nice 2014 Deluxe, but for some reason I always find my self looking at the ads for the 2014 Standard. I know it is silly and irrational, but it must have something to do with the first time I got a close look at a CB1100. Not long before I found my Deluxe I stopped at a close by dealer and they had a new Standard on the floor that I almost bought. A week or so later I found a good deal on a slightly used Deluxe and bought it instead. But the Standard is still imprinted on my mind!

I know other than the lack of ABS the riding experience will be identical. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to wear out my Deluxe, but I cant get the Standard out of my head. I really like the way they did the blacked out look on it and the 4 into 1 exhaust.

I am trying to talk myself out of doing it! But the desire for a Standard keeps coming back to roost at least a couple times a year.

This is the bike that imprinted itself on my brain.

 
Sounds like the usual suspect Dave.

The life-blood of the motorcyclist enthusiast. For many, it gets worse as the winter season (for us northern-hemi types) approaches its end.

- - -

The standard (in my case with ABS) performs very nicely and looks not too shabby.
 
Life is short! If a Standard floats your boat, do it. I'm sure you'll be able to unload your DLX easily and scoop one up. Perhaps you can find someone willing to swap bikes.
 
the single piper is a bit more sporty looking than the dlx, single pipe, smaller differently shaped tank. my only grip with the single pipe mofdes is the stainless header pipes discoloring, and lack of ABS
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
I have a super nice 2014 Deluxe, but for some reason I always find my self looking at the ads for the 2014 Standard. I know it is silly and irrational, but it must have something to do with the first time I got a close look at a CB1100. Not long before I found my Deluxe I stopped at a close by dealer and they had a new Standard on the floor that I almost bought. A week or so later I found a good deal on a slightly used Deluxe and bought it instead. But the Standard is still imprinted on my mind!

I know other than the lack of ABS the riding experience will be identical. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to wear out my Deluxe, but I cant get the Standard out of my head. I really like the way they did the blacked out look on it and the 4 into 1 exhaust.

I am trying to talk myself out of doing it! But the desire for a Standard keeps coming back to roost at least a couple times a year.

This is the bike that imprinted itself on my brain.



Sounds like you knew what you wanted--the standard, but when the good deal on the deluxe came along, reason trumped emotion, and you went with the "good deal" because the price was right. Both are beautiful bikes in their own right.

So maybe not so much "silly and irrational", but you got away from what initially you found attractive. At the same time, I bet you enjoy the deluxe quite a bit. You can simply choose to be happy with what you have and live with the occasional (?) twinge, or start the process of selling what you know you have and buying something that will involve a bit of risk as it will be an unknown bike. Probably, it will work out OK, but I think it's important to try to enjoy the process.

Dave Swanson_imp said:

I had a standard, and loved the look; after I saw the unpainted engine cases on the '17, I thought Honda could have gone that route with the standard and I would have liked the contrast more. The exhaust headers, yes, discoloration will be there, but there are products that will make 'em shine nice and they can last.

Would an option be to not sell the deluxe, and look for the cheapest standard you can find? That might be in the 3.5k to low 4k range. Then if you really like it, you can sell the deluxe later on?

Good luck!
 
Personally I've always preferred the black vs red paint. The way I see it, buffing the header pipes is much easier than cleaning the spokes on them red ones.

Here's an old header pipe clean thread just for kicks. Post #14 had my run-through.

Easy Header Cleaning
 
I don't believe you would have a hard time selling the DLX. Most folks that want to relive the old CB experience are drawn to the DLX as it is more "authentic" to the original with spokes, a beautiful engine with no paint, and 4 into 4. If I'm not mistaken this model can sell at a premium over the standards.
 
"This is the bike that imprinted itself on my brain."

Well said. It was love at first sight for me. The half price tag was icing.
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
I have a super nice 2014 Deluxe, but for some reason I always find my self looking at the ads for the 2014 Standard. I know it is silly and irrational, but it must have something to do with the first time I got a close look at a CB1100. Not long before I found my Deluxe I stopped at a close by dealer and they had a new Standard on the floor that I almost bought. A week or so later I found a good deal on a slightly used Deluxe and bought it instead. But the Standard is still imprinted on my mind!

I know other than the lack of ABS the riding experience will be identical. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to wear out my Deluxe, but I cant get the Standard out of my head. I really like the way they did the blacked out look on it and the 4 into 1 exhaust.

I am trying to talk myself out of doing it! But the desire for a Standard keeps coming back to roost at least a couple times a year.

This is the bike that imprinted itself on my brain.



I'm going to pull this quote as well as that is exactly the impact the 2013 CB1100 had on me. There was no STD or DLX then, just the CB1100 itself (although there was the choice of going with or without ABS). I bought one of the very first CB1100's to arrive in this country. The out-the-door price for my CB was full list price ($9,999). I have never regretted this decision. Nor have I ever had the desire to trade my CB for any of the other versions that have come along since then.

Had I actually desired one of the other models that followed then I would have found a way to make that happen. That's exactly what the ferret did by the way. He too owned one of the first 2013 models to arrive over here. Unlike myself, he did end up trading in his 2013 model for a 2014 DLX — in part because the DLX "imprinted itself on his brain" and I know that he has no regrets over that decision.

In my mind a motorcycle purchase should involve a certain amount of passion, the amount of which is going to vary from one person to the next. This has nothing to do with specs or the opinions of others. It has everything to do with how a motorcycle makes you feel when you look at it and ride it. Every time I set eyes on my CB, every time I take it out for a spin, every time I clean it or work on it I am reminded of the soul-stirring impact the this motorcycle had on me from the very beginning.

With the exception of involving myself in discussions such as this one, I don't think about how much money I've spent on my CB1100. But I do still think back to the first time I laid my eyes on photographs of this motorcycle. I do still remember reading about a Honda representative riding one of these bikes around on the west coast giving me my first hope they might reconsider bringing this motorcycle to the States. I do still remember reading Honda's announcement to finally release the CB1100 in this country. I do still remember the first time I saw my own CB1100 in person and the first ride I ever took on it upon taking delivery of the bike. These memories and emotions are priceless to me. For me such feelings make my ownership experience that much better and only continues to deepen the imprint.

While the 2014 STD might be the bike that originally imprinted itself on your brain that doesn't mean that the DLX can't be the bike that stole your motorcycling heart ultimately leaving it's own imprint on you. In this case how I feel about my 2013, or how the ferret feels about his 2014 DLX or how anyone else here feels about their particular CB1100 doesn't really matter. It is what you feel that counts and you are the only one who truly knows which fire burns the deepest and strongest inside of you. Good luck!
 
I really enjoy my 13 ' Standard! A little extra edginess without ABS and can be dressed up for a long ride, or switched and stripped back down for a more classic looking retro local feel with a quick strip of the Street shield and soft bags.
Always gets looks and compliments whenever it ends up...! Quite frankly everyone thinks it's an 80,s bike.
Certainly the OEM saddle takes a beating on my bottom side, and cleaning them stainless pipes with Blue Magic or Mothers every so often...is a mother.
It's my first bike getting back on after about 30 years away...its a keeper for sure.
Lifes a Journey! Enjoy your Ride!

273da1d419396f66b2a6fba6411cc283.jpg
58a89f577f4fdcdcc50188102df07ce7.jpg
2ec0c613fb5291566b44411bb647b60e.jpg
735486f318ca2d6e1c2bce3f6a876a5b.jpg


2013 Cb 1100 , 73 Cb 500 four ,72 Cb 500 four (do the ton) 82 Cb650Sc "Nighthawk "
 
I think the thing that made the most imprint on my mind was the first truly GREAT motorcycle I ever had, our new 77 KZ1000 Kaw bought in Sept 1976.

60310e8beb9ed959037ef76c53587029.jpg


See the similarities between it and my DLX?

Paint, chrome fenders, color matched side covers, chrome header pipes, silver engine, dual upswept chrome pipes, round mirrors

91d4948daf5de2ddb82e222ba3ed46d3.jpg


When I saw the DLX, something told me I just had to have it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think the thing that made the most imprint on my mind was the first truly GREAT motorcycle I ever had, our new 77 KZ1000 Kaw bought in Sept 1976.

60310e8beb9ed959037ef76c53587029.jpg


See the similarities between it and my DLX?

Paint, chrome fenders, color matched side covers, chrome header pipes, silver engine, dual upswept chrome pipes, round mirrors

91d4948daf5de2ddb82e222ba3ed46d3.jpg


When I saw the DLX, something told me I just had to have it.
Your missing the younger babe on the back with your Honda 1100 ! What's up with that Ferret! Lol
ae0bafb028bd9c8feed52e5f07787fb1.png


2013 Cb 1100 , 73 Cb 500 four ,72 Cb 500 four (do the ton) 82 Cb650Sc "Nighthawk "
 
Back
Top