Has anyone replaced their air cleaner?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm talking stock set up, not for a K&N or other non stock set up.

if so what was the mileage when you changed it?

How dirty was the original air filter?

I know some guys are getting up near 35,000 miles now ( Sanoke, Pterodactyle, others?)

I haven't torn into mine yet but I am only at a little over 14,000 miles. I know my ST filter goes 25,000 miles between changes, but the Majesty needed new filters (2) at 5,000 miles.
 
Okay, had to look...

Honda shop manual says "R" (Replace) at 12K and 24K for my 2000 VFR800 and 2009 ST1300.

But Honda shop manual for the CB1100 says "I" (Inspect) at 12K and 24K.

Interesting....
 
Thread starter
Yea I have one on the shelf as well, but as much as they cost I wouldn't replace it unless it needs it. If it can be blown out and continue use I will do that. The one on the shelf isn't going anywhere, and will be there when it finally is needed.
 
I changed mine at about 32,000 miles. I cleaned the old one every 4,000 miles because of the slag and sand on the roads from winter riding. Don't know that I needed to change it but it was getting a lot darker than the new one so I went ahead and changed it.
 
The air filter has one purpose, to prevent dust and dirt from entering your engine, but at a minimal cost to airflow.

I know, up to a point, aftermarket manufacturers state that trapped dust in the filter media actually makes the filter more efficient at trapping even more debris, i.e it is more difficult for stuff to pass through. But over time, the air flow is diminished.

Blowing out a used filter will help remove a lot of the loose dust and debris and the filter will look good to the eye.

But, IMO, over time, the filter slowly gets clogged with the finest dust, impeding air flow. That is the last thing I want to do to my engine.

All my cager rigs get a new air filter every 10000 miles. It's cheap and efficient maintenance.

The CB1100 filter is not cheap, relative to any other air filter I've bought, but in the longterm, it is cheap enough.

At the rate I ride it's a new filter every two to three years (I spread out my riding among a few bikes). Big deal.

Another thing to consider is just media degradation. Maybe it is not an issue but all paper type media degrades over time when exposed to the elements. So even if your mileage is low, the filter may be ready for replacement. Just like they say to replace your oil after a year regardless of mileage.

Anyway, just my .02
 
Gentlemen,

Arizona is pretty dusty so I pulled my air filter out a couple days ago at 4000 miles. The stock filter looked brand new. The CB11 air cleaner is in a very protected enclosure and the two rectangular snorkels face rearward so nothing is ever going to touch that filter but air borne dust. In an area like AZ where the ground is always dry and particulate content in the air is high I still think that filter will be fine at 20k miles. In an area like Ohio or Michigan where the ground isn't often dry and particulate content is low that filter will be good for many years and 30k miles easy.

Chip
 
Thoughts on why the manual says to clean with compressed air from the outside in, why not from the inside out to dislodge the accumulated dirt?
 
Thread starter
In an area like Ohio .... where the ground isn't often dry and particulate content is low that filter will be good for many years and 30k miles easy.

Chip

You mean many being like 2? I'm at 15K on my 2014 Lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
In an area like Ohio .... where the ground isn't often dry and particulate content is low that filter will be good for many years and 30k miles easy.

Chip

You mean many being like 2? I'm at 15K on my 2014 Lol
(+1) North shore Lake Ontario.
 
After seeing what our computers suck in, in Phoenix; the desert is one dirty dang place. So I guess I better check mine. Otherwise; I don't have the mileage built up to worry about it yet.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Thoughts on why the manual says to clean with compressed air from the outside in, why not from the inside out to dislodge the accumulated dirt?
Air flows from the inside of the filter to the outside. By blowing compressed air through the filter in the same direction, you'd basically be driving all the dirt deeper into the filter. Thus, clean from the outside in. :thumbsup:
 
Every two years I inspect. Never been cleaned nor replaced. I think I tapped it twice against the ground to shake an insect wing out.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
 
if so what was the mileage when you changed it?

How dirty was the original air filter?

I was prepared to replace my air filter when I replaced the IACV, but the original one looked fine - at 17k miles. I'll check it again at about 25k.
 
Thread starter
I ended up replacing mine at 25,000 miles even thought it wasn't very dirty becuase I had the old one out and a new one on the bench.

It would have gone longer.
 
Factory air box design in motorcycles and cars have significantly improved in the past 20 years.

The only air filters that seem to get dirty quickly are the tiny passenger car interior filters.
 
Back
Top