Nasty Decel Pop poor gas mileage

adogsnyder99_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I recently purchased a 2013 model and it had some aftermarket parts on it that are causing some issues I am hoping you guys have some insight into. It has a K factory csr exhaust with no baffle, a k&n air filter and a powercommander 5. The bike has a pretty nasty decel pop and I feel as though I am not getting very good gas mileage as I recently filled up and it is showing 3 bars missing after about 80 miles. Has anyone else ever had similar issues and if so what was the fix?
 
I'd start by seeing if they put in the O2 sensor bypass plug, check what map they have in the power commander, and plug the PAIR hose.

Last I checked- none of the off the shelf power commander files were done on a bike with no cat. That changes things a lot.

80 miles is over half a tank- so depending on how you are riding, not unexpected.

Also- personal preference but I would put in a baffle and stock air filter.
 
I have the PC-V, Yosh full exhaust (no cat), K&N air filter, and absolutely no de-cel pop.

I removed the PAIR valve per this forum. Really easy to do. 5-10 minutes. I forgot my 2013 used to do that until I read your post…
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
I'd start by seeing if they put in the O2 sensor bypass plug, check what map they have in the power commander, and plug the PAIR hose.

Last I checked- none of the off the shelf power commander files were done on a bike with no cat. That changes things a lot.

80 miles is over half a tank- so depending on how you are riding, not unexpected.

Also- personal preference but I would put in a baffle and stock air filter.
Funny you should mention this but I recently ordered the baffle for this exhaust and am going to put the stock air filter in tonight.
Olyrider_imp said:
I have the PC-V, Yosh full exhaust (no cat), K&N air filter, and absolutely no de-cel pop.

I removed the PAIR valve per this forum. Really easy to do. 5-10 minutes. I forgot my 2013 used to do that until I read your post…
What tune do you have running on the bike? is it just the stock tune?
 
All you need to do for the pair valve is take the hose loose- I used a rubber vacuum cap from the local autoparts store to put into the hose as an internal plug- then connect the hose back on the bike- looks completely stock.
 
Thread starter
So I did the pair valve fix which resolved the decel pop. I also switched over to the stock air filter and when I get the baffle in I will install that. I am wondering if I should download and send the stock tune to the bike after these changes, so what are everyones thoughts on that
 
You'll likely need an ECU tune or tune your PC-V. I got the Guhl tune so I can run my Mizuno with no baffle. You're probably running real lean.


Dynojet surely has made tunes on their site.
 
Absolutely do NOT put the stock tune back on the bike.

Having lost the cat- you need the extra fuel the power commander is allowing you to have.
 
Thread starter
I want to try and stay away from the shop as long as possible as getting a tune is crazy expensive.
Olyrider do you happen to have the tune file you are running on your bike?
 
adogsnyder99_imp said:
I want to try and stay away from the shop as long as possible as getting a tune is crazy expensive.
Olyrider do you happen to have the tune file you are running on your bike?
A tune is cheaper than a PC-V. My tune was $375 . They made the tune to fit every mod on the motor. Money well spent.
 
Thread starter
Rox_imp said:
adogsnyder99_imp said:
I want to try and stay away from the shop as long as possible as getting a tune is crazy expensive.
Olyrider do you happen to have the tune file you are running on your bike?
A tune is cheaper than a PC-V. My tune was $375 . They made the tune to fit every mod on the motor. Money well spent.
A tune is cheaper than a PC-V. My tune was $375 . They made the tune to fit every mod on the motor. Money well spent.
I actually already have the PC-V not sure if that makes any difference. Also would it be alright if I rode as is for now and take the bike in to get tuned later this year?
 
It’s perfectly safe if you have one of the Dynojet files loaded- they just target 13.2 across the board.

Ideal? No. Safe yes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
It’s perfectly safe if you have one of the Dynojet files loaded- they just target 13.2 across the board.

Ideal? No. Safe yes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m curious as to what you are getting for mileage as well?
 
A little off subject, but I once rented an H-D Street Glide that popped so bad on decel that I had to modify the way I rode and never let it decel. When I dropped it off, I told the gal behind the counter that the popping was very annoying. She looked surprised and said that was her favorite aspect of the bike! Just goes to show....
 
Quote:I’m curious as to what you are getting for mileage as well?

I pay zero attention to mileage.

Which is funny- because I hate the task of filling a motorcycle- taking off the gloves, getting the wallet out, etc.. PITA.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Quote:I’m curious as to what you are getting for mileage as well?

I pay zero attention to mileage.

Which is funny- because I hate the task of filling a motorcycle- taking off the gloves, getting the wallet out, etc.. PITA.

I pay zero attention to mileage.

Which is funny- because I hate the task of filling a motorcycle- taking off the gloves, getting the wallet out, etc.. PITA.
+1 on that task.
To reduce bike fill ups I fill 3 or 4 cans for the bike when I fill the van or car up.
 
Speaking of mileage; my blinking segment comes on way too soon. I'm used to filling right away, and can get only 2.8 gals into the tank. Is there any way to recalibrate that thing? I could note mileage and all that, but.... I want the segment to start blinking when I can get 3.5 or so in.
 
No way to recalibrate I know of but 3.5 or so would only leave you with less than 1/2 a gallon. That's cutting it pretty close depending on what part of the country you ride in.
 
Back
Top