Has anyone installed a louder horn?

Doug Shepard_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have almost been ran off the road a few times in the last 2 weeks. I would like to get a louder horn to get the attention! Not sure the DB on the factory one? Found these Hella Super Horns for 118 DB and look fairly decent as well. Interested if anyone has down this already?
Thanks!
 
Doug Shepard_imp said:
I have almost been ran off the road a few times in the last 2 weeks. I would like to get a louder horn to get the attention! Not sure the DB on the factory one? Found these Hella Super Horns for 118 DB and look fairly decent as well. Interested if anyone has down this already?
Thanks!

I have often thought about installing a different horn. In fact I was thinking of one I saw on a heavy duty all terrain forklift. It’s the same size that’s only a single not like our doubles same voltage I still might install one,


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Stebel snail type horns are the way to go. i have a similar pair on my Honda and they fit in place of the original ones.
 
Tezza_imp said:
Stebel snail type horns are the way to go. i have a similar pair on my Honda and they fit in place of the original ones.
Tezza, I have a couple questions. Do you point them forward or to the sides? Do you run a relay?
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Tezza_imp said:
Stebel snail type horns are the way to go. i have a similar pair on my Honda and they fit in place of the original ones.
Tezza, I have a couple questions. Do you point them forward or to the sides? Do you run a relay?
Tezza, I have a couple questions. Do you point them forward or to the sides? Do you run a relay? I have mine pointed forward with the outlet at the bottom in case they get water in them. No relay but considering the thin stock wiring
it's probably not a bad idea to fit a relay.
 
Thread starter
dsan1964_imp said:
Doug Shepard_imp said:
I have almost been ran off the road a few times in the last 2 weeks. I would like to get a louder horn to get the attention! Not sure the DB on the factory one? Found these Hella Super Horns for 118 DB and look fairly decent as well. Interested if anyone has down this already?
Thanks!

I have often thought about installing a different horn. In fact I was thinking of one I saw on a heavy duty all terrain forklift. It’s the same size that’s only a single not like our doubles same voltage I still might install one,


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have often thought about installing a different horn. In fact I was thinking of one I saw on a heavy duty all terrain forklift. It’s the same size that’s only a single not like our doubles same voltage I still might install one,


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting forklift horn are they loud?
Tezza_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Tezza_imp said:
Stebel snail type horns are the way to go. i have a similar pair on my Honda and they fit in place of the original ones.
Tezza, I have a couple questions. Do you point them forward or to the sides? Do you run a relay?
Tezza, I have a couple questions. Do you point them forward or to the sides? Do you run a relay? I have mine pointed forward with the outlet at the bottom in case they get water in them. No relay but considering the thin stock wiring
it's probably not a bad idea to fit a relay.
Tezza, I have a couple questions. Do you point them forward or to the sides? Do you run a relay? I have mine pointed forward with the outlet at the bottom in case they get water in them. No relay but considering the thin stock wiring
it's probably not a bad idea to fit a relay.
That's an air horn right I was looking at one of those too but not sure about the hook up if easy
 
They do make air horns. One of our club members has one of those on his CB125 and it sounds like a mack truck. I was talking about the snail type diaphram type.https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-Stebel-Magnum-Twin-Electric-12-volt-136dB-Car-or-Bike-Horn-Kit-Loud/121599084940?hash=item1c4fdec98c:g:-ugAAOSwDaBb2p5N:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!4070!AU!-1:rk:3:Pf:0
 
I realize this thread is 5 years old now and I might not get any views/replies, but am looking at these for my 2013:

https://wolo-mfg.com/horns/motorcycle-horns/model-325-2t-maxi-sound-chrome.html

I like the ease of installation and the looks. Db rating is ALWAYS optimistic, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or other recommendations.

I've put PIAA aftermarket horns on other bikes and am considering those, too, but - again - I like the way these look.
 
WhatYes_imp said:
I realize this thread is 5 years old now and I might not get any views/replies, but am looking at these for my 2013:

https://wolo-mfg.com/horns/motorcycle-horns/model-325-2t-maxi-sound-chrome.html

I like the ease of installation and the looks. Db rating is ALWAYS optimistic, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or other recommendations.

I've put PIAA aftermarket horns on other bikes and am considering those, too, but - again - I like the way these look.
Louder horns are always a wise investment. Snail horns like the Wolo are just like the flat disc horns you have, but with a false top cover and the scroll that directs the sound better and gives a bit of amplification.

But the instructions do not mention using a horn relay, which is highly recommended. A relay allows near-full battery voltage to go from the battery, through a fuse, and directly to the horn, rather than through the harness and flimsy switch contacts. Remember also to hook a nice ground from the chassis (or ideally, the battery) to the mounting plates.

Be sure to use the mounting plates provided because they allow the horn to oscillate. Solidly mounted horns are not nearly as loud. And using 2 horns of the same frequency will be louder, but not as penetrating and noticeable as 2 different frequencies.
 
I find the horns on my 2017MY EX the loudest on any bike I have ever owned. Were they poorer prior to that?
 
Tev62_imp said:
I find the horns on my 2017MY EX the loudest on any bike I have ever owned. Were they poorer prior to that?
I don't know the answer to your question Tev but my standard horns on my 2019 UK RS model are also the loudest bike horns I've encountered.
 
A few years back I did installed a "Denali" air horn at 120 db which emits a very powerful sound close to the volume of a big Mack truck's horn.
Trust me other automobile drivers will hear you even with their in-car sound system volume at full blast.

I connected my original twin horn wire harness through a relay to activate the horn.
Note: The horn power was directly fed from the battery.


 
GoldOxide_imp said:
... I think the horn needs to be lit up, Alain.

:)
Aggread, because it's already loud enough to alert a deaf dog crossing the street at a red light...

239cd3ac787eaa09de5e48371e0372d0.jpg


:)
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
A few years back I did installed a "Denali" air horn at 120 db which emits a very powerful sound close to the volume of a big Mack truck's horn.
Trust me other automobile drivers will hear you even with their in-car sound system volume at full blast.

I connected my original twin horn wire harness through a relay to activate the horn.
Note: The horn power was directly fed from the battery.
That "oval" reflection on your fuel tank Alain almost looks like a dent.
 
A few years back I bought a sound level meter and measured the following horns at 3 ft and 20 ft.

CB 1100. 113/104
CB500X. 109/101
2014 HONDA ACCORD. 111/104
1998. DODGE TRUCK. 96/90
2020 FORD F-150. 110/100

CB1100 Had them all beat. Wish I done this at longer distances. My concern with loud horns is it can tick people off and by the time I would use it would to late for me to avoid a problem and what do I honk to just get them to drop the phone and proceed through a green light ?
 
I've got a set of Hella horns from a GM truck. I found that the little adjustment screw that's sealed with silicone can be adjusted to make them extremely loud. It requires a relay and some wiring but I'll get them on the bike. I looked into a set of small air horns but couldn't hide everything so that didn't work. I've got a bit of a horn fetish,the louder the better.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
A few years back I did installed a "Denali" air horn at 120 db which emits a very powerful sound close to the volume of a big Mack truck's horn.
Trust me other automobile drivers will hear you even with their in-car sound system volume at full blast.

I connected my original twin horn wire harness through a relay to activate the horn.
Note: The horn power was directly fed from the battery.
That "oval" reflection on your fuel tank Alain almost looks like a dent.
That "oval" reflection on your fuel tank Alain almost looks like a dent.
GO, It is indeed a dent.
Dropped the bike during the early COVID days when city (Oakridges) did not clean the county side roads. Not a major issue only the front brake lever was broken and a few scratches on the muffler.
My ego was certainly hurt. :(
 
Dang Alain. I didn't notice it in person, so that might be helpful. Maybe not so noticeable with the metallic red paint, or my eyes are truly going.
 
Back
Top