Harley Shutting down in India

Billie_imp said:
Honda_Fan_imp said:
I owned a sportster 1200 and I got to tell you that after Honda/Yamaha/Ducati it felt like a farm tractor. Couldn’t handle a corner, brake reasonably or accelerate fast enough. Only thing it was good for is cruising straight at 60mph and revving at traffic lights to hear that super loud exhaust. There’s nothing in Harley line up that I would want even if cost half what they are asking.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Man. One can buy a couple of new Honda Monkey offerings in that price range.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
Honda_Fan_imp said:
I owned a sportster 1200 and I got to tell you that after Honda/Yamaha/Ducati it felt like a farm tractor. Couldn’t handle a corner, brake reasonably or accelerate fast enough. Only thing it was good for is cruising straight at 60mph and revving at traffic lights to hear that super loud exhaust. There’s nothing in Harley line up that I would want even if cost half what they are asking.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Man. One can buy a couple of new Honda Monkey offerings in that price range.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Man. One can buy a couple of new Honda Monkey offerings in that price range.
Yeah, one for each foot, kind of like roller skates.
 
Billie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
Honda_Fan_imp said:
I owned a sportster 1200 and I got to tell you that after Honda/Yamaha/Ducati it felt like a farm tractor. Couldn’t handle a corner, brake reasonably or accelerate fast enough. Only thing it was good for is cruising straight at 60mph and revving at traffic lights to hear that super loud exhaust. There’s nothing in Harley line up that I would want even if cost half what they are asking.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Man. One can buy a couple of new Honda Monkey offerings in that price range.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Man. One can buy a couple of new Honda Monkey offerings in that price range.
Yeah, one for each foot, kind of like roller skates.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Man. One can buy a couple of new Honda Monkey offerings in that price range.
Yeah, one for each foot, kind of like roller skates.
lol - yeah, never considered that.
 
Billie_imp said:
Honda_Fan_imp said:
I owned a sportster 1200 and I got to tell you that after Honda/Yamaha/Ducati it felt like a farm tractor. Couldn’t handle a corner, brake reasonably or accelerate fast enough. Only thing it was good for is cruising straight at 60mph and revving at traffic lights to hear that super loud exhaust. There’s nothing in Harley line up that I would want even if cost half what they are asking.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see. A good deal on something you don't want is not a good deal.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
Honda_Fan_imp said:
I owned a sportster 1200 and I got to tell you that after Honda/Yamaha/Ducati it felt like a farm tractor. Couldn’t handle a corner, brake reasonably or accelerate fast enough. Only thing it was good for is cruising straight at 60mph and revving at traffic lights to hear that super loud exhaust. There’s nothing in Harley line up that I would want even if cost half what they are asking.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see. A good deal on something you don't want is not a good deal.
Really? So you're saying you wouldn't be interested in a RoadKing for say $10,000, or a Low Rider for $7,500 both very capable bikes with plenty of power and a fit and finish second to none. Maybe time for you to rethink your position and give them another look see. A good deal on something you don't want is not a good deal.
^^+1^^
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Take a look at who is running the company now:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/about-us/company/leadership.html


Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.

Co-Founder and Director Katapult, Former Executive, Clubmom, Inc., NFL Partners, Inc. and MTV Music Television

President and Chief Executive Officer, Ocean5, and former Chief Operating Officer, Starbucks Corporation

These people don't care......
Sometimes shaking up management with people outside the industry who have a different perspective helps. The other 99% of the time it doesn't.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Take a look at who is running the company now:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/about-us/company/leadership.html


Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.

Co-Founder and Director Katapult, Former Executive, Clubmom, Inc., NFL Partners, Inc. and MTV Music Television

President and Chief Executive Officer, Ocean5, and former Chief Operating Officer, Starbucks Corporation

These people don't care......
Hmm, maybe the "HD Monkey" will finally become reality (with seal oil leaks, of course).
 
The great stock picker Peter Lynch from Fidelity said years ago : invest in a company any idiot can run because sooner or later an idiot will run that company. Is HD getting close to it this time ???
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
This is actually surprising as I had always read that the XG750 and Xg500 models were selling like hotcakes in India as luxury items.
Rly.... I’d heard HD wasn’t upgrading em for new emissions standards...

If the street lines gets dropped it’ll be one of the biggest blunders of all time...
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I think that most of the time in the past and probably even now HD management had/has no clue how to read market trends , just look at the Livewire disaster .
You can never blame the customer when your business fails , you have to give them good reasons to purchase your product or service.
This is my point. They DID read the market trend and went to produce an electric bike. Good for them. Then, decided to put a $30k price tag on it. Bad.
 
The stage was set when Willie G left. I had an issue with a V-Rod I purchased new. Dealer refused to correct problem so I wrote the HD board of directors. Mr, Davidson was the only person who gave a crap. He had a corporate person reach out to me. Unfortunately, I was so disenchanted with the bike that I got rid of it before I was contacted.

Regardless, none of the others could have given two S**ts.

Clubmom....really
 
HondaJon_imp said:
The stage was set when Willie G left. I had an issue with a V-Rod I purchased new. Dealer refused to correct problem so I wrote the HD board of directors. Mr, Davidson was the only person who gave a crap. He had a corporate person reach out to me. Unfortunately, I was so disenchanted with the bike that I got rid of it before I was contacted.

Regardless, none of the others could have given two S**ts.

Clubmom....really
I am more than certain that you do not regret your decision, do you ?
 
As the old joke goes... Harley is a clothing company that dabbles in motorcycles. I would point out that at my local Honda multi brand motorcycle dealer where I bought the CB 2/3rds of the floor is dedicated to atvs/UTVs. They’ve also branched out to selling trailers for those. I’m betting if the Honda dealer didn’t have atv/UTV and trailer sales to prop them up they too would be looking at some hard business decisions.

Harley.... tractor like... Honda...soulless...etc etc. We can keep this tribal silliness up all day.
 
Couldn't agree more, Frulk. There is an interesting conversation about the future of Harley Davidson that gets raised regularly here. Sadly, it is seldom long before it turns into "tribal silliness".
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Couldn't agree more, Frulk. There is an interesting conversation about the future of Harley Davidson that gets raised regularly here. Sadly, it is seldom long before it turns into "tribal silliness".
Agreed.

HD may be sorely missed.




(Can you feel the peace?)




But heck, even Indian took a few shots of coming back. HD will likely do better.
 
I neither hate nor love Harley Davidson. I've ridden a few, and was pleasantly surprised, and I can understand why many riders love them. But if I had a 20-bike collection, there wouldn't be one in it. Or even 50 bikes. There are just too many other good bikes for me to like.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I neither hate nor love Harley Davidson. I've ridden a few, and was pleasantly surprised, and I can understand why many riders love them. But if I had a 20-bike collection, there wouldn't be one in it. Or even 50 bikes. There are just too many other good bikes for me to like.
During ride swaps, I've ridden a few HDs and they look the part probably better than any brand on the planet. But they are primitive and slow. Even worse? I seemed to always have a problem getting my bike back from the HD owner.
 
Oh the irony....being slow is by far the number one complaint lodged against the CB....and primitive not being far behind that. As in air cooled...retro dual shock rear suspension etc.

They fact that the CB is on or very near the bottom of 0-60 times for production bikes for its cc class (and let’s not mention bikes at even half its displacement) doesn’t really seem to bother most people on this site that ride it. I certainly don’t think about how slow and primitive it is when I’m in the saddle of the CB.

I’m betting a large part of the HD crowd thinks the same way about their rolling iron as we do about ours.
 
Back
Top