Harley guys complemented me today

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Call it a fluke but I had two guys come up to me at a stop and rob to look at my motorcycle and complement me on what a clean example it was to be so old. Both guys had HD's of the big twin variety. Both had had 80's and 90s somethings CB's in the past of the 650 and 750 variety. I was kinda shocked to be honest.

We chatted a bit and I told them about the CB1100 and how I really would love to have one. They said a CB what? I described it the best I could as being a standard ect and they were eating it up. I bet these guys go look at one. I dont think a lot of people even know about them.

Anyway, it made me feel good for somebody to compliment and appreciate a 2,500 dollar motorcycle when they were riding something that cost 8 times that much. I am as guilty as the next guy about pre judging some Harley owners but just like anything else most are good guys and a handful give them a bad name sometimes.
 
Umm... Our lovely media has made them out to be something
they're not. I know for a fact... there's good Harley people too!
I take my CB to the local HD dealer all the time and get constant
good comments. So many that I bet the owners wish that I didn't.
And the last time I was in Georgia I took my KLR to the HD dealer
in Roswell and one of the guys commented to me that 'you have
the bike that's the most fun here'. Turns out this HOG guy also
rode dirt and it was a Honda. Go figure....
 
As a long time Harley owner I think it's refreshing to see common sense posts like these. While I find some H-D riders snobby, it's a mistake to pigeon hole people simply based on appearances. As for myself, I've owned five Harley's, as many Yamaha's, three BMW's, a Kawasaki 1200ZRX, and now a CB1100. I don't regret owning any of them. If you think about it, the entire Harley line is even more retro than our beloved Honda's are, with technology dating back to the 1920's & '30's. Our CB1100's are just as pretty, and go faster!

A Happy Easter to all,
~ The Bee
 
Nothing wrong with Harley's or the majority of Harley riders. Just not my "cup'a tea". Harley's are good reliable bikes with their own unique style and feel. I'm just glad we live in a time with so much to chose from.
 
This 2013 CB1100 owner also owns a 2007 Harley Dyna Street Bob. My personality does not change when riding one Bike or the other. I am just as rude and crude on either! Just kidding. Point made.
 
For 28 years I worked at the factory that produced all the OE and Screaming Eagle Harley pistons, so I had a chance to spent some time with some of the Harley executives. All were a great bunch of guys as expected. Even fished Nipigon with the CFO from Harley Milwaukee. Funniest guy I ever met. All were great guys.

Conversely, I spent time with some of the seedy element too, against my better judgment of course. Was good friends with a bike gang member. Some of them I suspect hated their own mothers for giving birth to them. All too bad assed to be nice.

-Takes all kinds I guess.
 
I just ran up to the HD dealer to see what was happening at the start of the75th Bike week, a guy on a HD said is that a remake, I said yeah a retro bike, he said beautiful! I said:thanks:
 
I stopped by the Harley dealer in Pt. Ritchie today... In less than a minute 3 guys came over and wanted to talk about the bike. They had heard of it but had never seen one in person. We jawboned about it for at least 10 minutes... long enough for me to say... bye... I gotta go (inside to the rest room... :rofl: ) Everyone loves this bike...they all remember them from the 70's. Too cool!! :clap:
 
Be careful talking to Harley riders! Most of them are outlaws; they sell guns on the black market, smuggle heroin in their gas tanks, and enslave young girls into a life of strip clubs and drug abuse. They might seem like dentists or accountants, but that's just a disguise.

You were lucky to get away with your life and your motorcycle. Watch for satanic symbols like the one below...it's from just one of the many dangerous gangs out there.
 
Ha Ha Ha I ike your sense of humor :)

This bring the question.
Is Sturgis rally exclusive for Harleys' and Indian motorcycles or others come too.
I know it started, I think by Indian riders, but it evolved and changed over the years.

Was anyone there ?
 
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
There's no doubt at all that a very large percentage of people buy HD because they see it as a membership card in a club. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think HD ownership has lost some of the cache it had when people were waiting a year and paying $1,000's over MSRP for bikes, but it's still there.

ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

Given that the guy from Japan paid literally double the best offer I'd ever gotten from anybody in the US, I think I can live with my decision.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
There's no doubt at all that a very large percentage of people buy HD because they see it as a membership card in a club. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think HD ownership has lost some of the cache it had when people were waiting a year and paying $1,000's over MSRP for bikes, but it's still there.

ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

Given that the guy from Japan paid literally double the best offer I'd ever gotten from anybody in the US, I think I can live with my decision.
There's no doubt at all that a very large percentage of people buy HD because they see it as a membership card in a club. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think HD ownership has lost some of the cache it had when people were waiting a year and paying $1,000's over MSRP for bikes, but it's still there.

ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

Given that the guy from Japan paid literally double the best offer I'd ever gotten from anybody in the US, I think I can live with my decision.
Hah! Sounds like you made the capitalist decision to me...what's more American than that?! ;)

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
There's no doubt at all that a very large percentage of people buy HD because they see it as a membership card in a club. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think HD ownership has lost some of the cache it had when people were waiting a year and paying $1,000's over MSRP for bikes, but it's still there.

ss2wheels_imp said:
Isn't it strange and hard to explain the way that it's HD and then every other make of motorcycle? For me having had 7 HDs and a s--t load of everything else in the last 40 years I can say that I ride a bike for the feeling of the machine more than the feeling of being part of a group.I have enjoyed my HDs,the oldest being a 1987 and the newest a 2011 streetglide so really pretty good reliable bikes.I would never have even considered an HD prior to that because they were oil leaking, falling apart piles of s--t! I guess the reason I always go back to japanese bikes is the same reason my wife and I drive toyota's, we simply like the way they feel.Now let me ask you does any of this make sense? I am not a Harley basher, they are gorgeous and reliable machine's now, and so many people own them or want to own them,I guess that even though they are built with so many parts from Japan and all over the globe, they are an american company since 1903, and that means something...
The week before last I got a text message out of the blue asking if my '77 Low Rider was still for sale. I texted back and explained I'd sold it to a collector from Japan, and asked where he'd seen the bike. He replied: "You're a traitor, you don't deserve to live in the US."

Given that the guy from Japan paid literally double the best offer I'd ever gotten from anybody in the US, I think I can live with my decision.
I'm really failing to see what's traitorous about selling something to someone overseas. I suppose it's safe to assume he only eats locally grown crops, wears clothing made in the US, and doesn't own a computer? Perhaps he burns himself with a cigarette (an American cigarette, for sure) every time he sees an attractive girl from a different ethnic background? Where does the madness stop?

He probably shouldn't be using gasoline, because that certainly doesn't come from here!
 
Doesn't HARLEY sell Harleys overseas??? And aren't foreign parts in their bikes?

On topic, a number of HD riders waved to me today and one with ape hangers and a German looking helmet looked away with nose in the air. Whatever.
 
I visited a Harley Dealership in Unna (or Kamen) Germany (near Dortmund). They had a sign out front "Milwaukee 2800 miles" and it pointed west. Looked like any other Harley Dealership as I remember.
 
Back
Top