GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
I think HD threw something together back in the late 70's or probably the early 80's to address a similar market issue and had a similar failing experience - possibly worse because those bikes were lemons.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
IMHO, HD holds the high bar for top-shelf finishes. For production bikes, the hardware and surfaces are sweet. I really cannot think of another manufacturer who cares that much in the details. Of course, you will pay for this. If that and the art of noise is your thing, then there is a HD for you.peterbaron_imp said:Has HD ever been of a high quality like Japanese bikes??
You had to bring up shaft ...cblais19_imp said:I have a V7 II sitting in the garage beside my DLX. It’s really quite a decent little bike, but the fit and finish is nowhere near as nice as the CB. Does have a nice shaft drive though. Build quality on the newer v7s is quite solid. Minimal or no issues for the owners I’ve seen - and super simple maintenance.
I enjoyed mine for 7,000 miles in about 6 months, but fueling was annoying.LongRanger_imp said:Moto Guzzi finish quality > Moto Guzzi build quality.
Ride a Sportster 1200 SportGoldOxide_imp said:IMHO, HD holds the high bar for top-shelf finishes. For production bikes, the hardware and surfaces are sweet. I really cannot think of another manufacturer who cares that much in the details. Of course, you will pay for this. If that and the art of noise is your thing, then there is a HD for you.peterbaron_imp said:Has HD ever been of a high quality like Japanese bikes??
In terms of performance, comfort, meh, that is much in the eye of the owner. Take-off torque is there; an erotic two seconds of spurt and the thrill is gone. I personally find the rides hard.
The CB1100 fit 'n' finish is the highest that I can recall for this class of Honda. Sure, the Gold Wing is top shelf, but the CB is very good. And we all know there is more: Handling, take-off, luxurious cruising, passing, economy, low environmental impact, low cost-of-ownership, dependability, and so on.
Moto Guzzi finish quality might be about equivalent to this Honda. But things drop off from there: Cost-of-ownership, dependability, some performance inefficiencies, and etc.
I think "quality" will vary by the eye of the owner. Let some live the fantasy.
I enjoyed mine for 7,000 miles in about 6 months, but fueling was annoying.SportsterDoc_imp said:I enjoyed mine for 7,000 miles in about 6 months, but fueling was annoying.LongRanger_imp said:Moto Guzzi finish quality > Moto Guzzi build quality.
https://image.ibb.co/eofZxm/2016_Moto_Guzzi_V7_II_Stone.jpg
Ride a Sportster 1200 SportGoldOxide_imp said:IMHO, HD holds the high bar for top-shelf finishes. For production bikes, the hardware and surfaces are sweet. I really cannot think of another manufacturer who cares that much in the details. Of course, you will pay for this. If that and the art of noise is your thing, then there is a HD for you.peterbaron_imp said:Has HD ever been of a high quality like Japanese bikes??
In terms of performance, comfort, meh, that is much in the eye of the owner. Take-off torque is there; an erotic two seconds of spurt and the thrill is gone. I personally find the rides hard.
The CB1100 fit 'n' finish is the highest that I can recall for this class of Honda. Sure, the Gold Wing is top shelf, but the CB is very good. And we all know there is more: Handling, take-off, luxurious cruising, passing, economy, low environmental impact, low cost-of-ownership, dependability, and so on.
Moto Guzzi finish quality might be about equivalent to this Honda. But things drop off from there: Cost-of-ownership, dependability, some performance inefficiencies, and etc.
I think "quality" will vary by the eye of the owner. Let some live the fantasy.
Stage 1 = 75 ft lbs of torque
110 MPH comes quick in the first 4 gears
I wore the rear tire slick in 3 months
http://sportsterpedia.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/sportster_history:2002_xl1200s.jpg
Endearing is a good word choice!LongRanger_imp said:I'm not knocking Moto Guzzi -- I owned two V7's and thought they were endearing bikes, but they looked better than they were built. If it wasn't for the dismal dealership situation in the U.S., I'd probably still own one of them and not my DLX.
LR, are you trying to tell all members that you've gotten your lovely CB by mistake?LongRanger_imp said:I'm not knocking Moto Guzzi -- I owned two V7's and thought they were endearing bikes, but they looked better than they were built. If it wasn't for the dismal dealership situation in the U.S., I'd probably still own one of them and not my DLX.
:
I had not yet taken it to Clarkdale, AZ, about a 700 mile roundtrip.LongRanger_imp said:Doc, I'm surprised you didn't mention the harsh rear suspension. Easily remedied but a common V7 complaint.
PB, not at all. My CB is awesome. But my growing frustration with MG parts and service finally pushed me to look elsewhere because I knew it couldn't be a sustainable relationship. I always fancied the DLX. It was a no-brainier.
(+1) on the dealer situation.LongRanger_imp said:I'm not knocking Moto Guzzi -- I owned two V7's and thought they were endearing bikes, but they looked better than they were built. If it wasn't for the dismal dealership situation in the U.S., I'd probably still own one of them and not my DLX.
Triumph and Moto Guzzi both have issues keeping dealers. If the CB1100 were not available, I might have gone back to Triumph (my 2012 Bonneville was faultless), but the Las Vegas dealer is the same as for Moto Guzzi and same owners for BMW. At that point, my options were Yamaha or Honda.GoldOxide_imp said:(+1) on the dealer situation.LongRanger_imp said:I'm not knocking Moto Guzzi -- I owned two V7's and thought they were endearing bikes, but they looked better than they were built. If it wasn't for the dismal dealership situation in the U.S., I'd probably still own one of them and not my DLX.
I didn't know they had questionable reliability or sustainability. I thought those years were behind them some ten or more years ago. Mind you, back then the dealerships were more abound.
Sorry Sportster Doc.SportsterDoc_imp said:Triumph has VERY good build quality.
865 cc had a lot of low end torque and pulled strong throughout the RPM range.
67 HP @ 7500, 50 ft lbs at 5800 and 495#, but it did feel cross wind gusts.
It was 112 and climbing on the Extraterrestrial Highway, wind calm, when a sudden gust from the north blew me from the middle of the W/B land to the middle of the E/B lane.
When they introduced EFI, there were some lean issues, which is why I asked the dealer to install the richer Arrow tune, but it may have been solved by then.
The dealer, in Simi Valley, did not charge for that.
When I learned no tool kit, they put one together for me.
Very much respect for that dealership.
If I were to get another Triumph, I would gladly drive 300 miles to get it and hope no service needed in Las Vegas.
You guys are a bad influence, here I am talking about another bike...
