HARLEY DAVIDSON V-Rod

Well in truth, the whole motorcycle industry is in crisis, especially in the US. Probably the only place doing well are the Asian countries and then only on small bikes. The manufacturers will still sell quite a number of large displacement bikes, this year and going forward for a while yet, just not as many as in years past. I believe the makers of large displacement bikes are just trading customers.

A bleak outlook for Harley, and probably the reason they are moving so quickly on the electric front. If they don't they will run out of customers eventually.
 
Right idea Houtman. But I will take it one step further:

Virtual reality while seated in electric wheel chairs. Riding without the risk of falling. Well, there might be the odd heart attack, but maybe worth it? :-/
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I think that the future for HD will be in electric vehicles : electric wheel chairs for their no longer riding customers.
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well in truth, the whole motorcycle industry is in crisis, especially in the US. Probably the only place doing well are the Asian countries and then only on small bikes. The manufacturers will still sell quite a number of large displacement bikes, this year and going forward for a while yet, just not as many as in years past. I believe the makers of large displacement bikes are just trading customers.

A bleak outlook for Harley, and probably the reason they are moving so quickly on the electric front. If they don't they will run out of customers eventually.
Well if the "Livewire" (is that what it's called?) is any indication of what their offerings will be in the electric market they should just hang it up now. At 30K they won't be selling any of those. Now, if this bike is just a precursor to what they may eventually offer, a smaller, more affordable version, then it may be time and $ well spent. However I don't have much faith in the Mo Co and their executive decisions. They don't have a very good track record when it comes to expanding their line up. Just ask Mr. Buell who probably was their one shot at capturing a new market segment.
 
One thing for sure is the competition will be fierce to get a meaningful piece of the electric motorcycle market and HD is still currently in a financial position to do something about it while it still can. So it appears they are, but it will take a few more years.
 
Zero's start at around 10K and they already are proven on the market. You are correct that HD still is in position to jump in the market but their first entry is ridiculous. They will have to radically change their new concepts to compete. A $30,000 electric bike!? Who's gonna buy that? The only people that would pay that much for a giant, cumbersome, behemoth bike would be HD's old guard and we all know that ain't happening. "Electric bikes aren't real bikes and are for girls".
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I think that the future for HD will be in electric vehicles : electric wheel chairs for their no longer riding customers.
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup:
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup: I am just very smart , that why I ride a CB 1100 …...
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I think that the future for HD will be in electric vehicles : electric wheel chairs for their no longer riding customers.
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup:
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup: I am just very smart , that why I ride a CB 1100 …...
 
I think the Zero S I test rode was closer to $20K than $ 10K. Imo it would be a viable option for local riding at $8-10K, but you can get an equally good performing ice scooter for maybe $7K or an FZ-07 or an NC 700 or a CB 500X for the same money

70afbabe7f9ec002ec4f4b0625d3e676.jpg
 
Yeah I think they Zero's "start" around $10K but seeing as they are already on the market I think if they have any success those current prices may come down as they pay off the "tooling" and R&D. The price for electric bikes as a whole will decrease if it really catches on. If electric bikes are to succeed they have to, along with range to empty. My point was that they are light years ahead of HD in every aspect of the market. The fact HD produced one is mind boggling (good for them) but they just aren't going to sell their first offering in any kind of numbers.
 
I was talking to a good friend who owns a Harley dealership and he told me that for a dealer to get the LiveWire to sell, the dealer must agree to invest $100,000 in a charging facility at the dealership. There are going to be a lot of Harley stores where the LiveWire will not be sold.
 
Other than prepping bikes, why would they need charging stations at Harley dealerships? Don't they charge off of 220v?

You wouldn't think with such a limited range that buyers would ride them back to the dealership for a recharge.
 
Harley dealerships are a lot like clubhouses. You’d be surprised how many people hang out there for several hours on a weekend. Lounges. Free coffee and donuts. Special events complete with food trucks and in store sales. Rider training classes. Starting and stopping points for rides/rally’s. Makes sense to have a charging station. If Harley has this behemoth ready to go you can bet something smaller isn’t far behind.
BTW. As shown, that Zero has zero appeal to me.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I think that the future for HD will be in electric vehicles : electric wheel chairs for their no longer riding customers.
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup:
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup: I am just very smart , that why I ride a CB 1100 …...
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I think that the future for HD will be in electric vehicles : electric wheel chairs for their no longer riding customers.
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup:
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup: I am just very smart , that why I ride a CB 1100 …...
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup: I am just very smart , that why I ride a CB 1100 …...
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I think that the future for HD will be in electric vehicles : electric wheel chairs for their no longer riding customers.
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup:
:rofl:
P.S John, where and when did you learn accuracy of your statements/comments?? :thumbsup: I am just very smart , that why I ride a CB 1100 …...

:worship:
 
Frulk_imp said:
Harley dealerships are a lot like clubhouses. You’d be surprised how many people hang out there for several hours on a weekend. Lounges. Free coffee and donuts. Special events complete with food trucks and in store sales. Rider training classes. Starting and stopping points for rides/rally’s. Makes sense to have a charging station. If Harley has this behemoth ready to go you can bet something smaller isn’t far behind.
BTW. As shown, that Zero has zero appeal to me.
Good point Frulk, hadn't thought of that. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
We are all lovers of our CBs, and I did not even think that simple HD topic will be so exited...
 
Back
Top