HARLEY DAVIDSON V-Rod

Peter. Doesn’t matter what brand you ride or if you’re a binge drinker of the Harley Kool Aide, just about everyone has an opinion on the brand, and many of those are at the extremes of pro and con. I’ve said it before, I feel much of the animosity towards the brand is the over the top lifestyle adherents and how they act towards non HD brand riders. The traction the topic is getting is not limited just to our site. Want to drive discussion up on a slow bike site bring up a Harley topic. The fact We now have 6 pages of replies on a Honda niche model forum on the VRod, a Harley model that was never really popular and was discontinued kinda underscores my point. Heck, I never even remotely liked this model and I read your post and am commenting on it. : )
 
I just checked a Guzzi site I used to be a member of and before the thread on the HD Live Wire dropped off the front page it accumulated 6 pages of replies.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Peter. Doesn’t matter what brand you ride or if you’re a binge drinker of the Harley Kool Aide, just about everyone has an opinion on the brand, and many of those are at the extremes of pro and con. I’ve said it before, I feel much of the animosity towards the brand is the over the top lifestyle adherents and how they act towards non HD brand riders. The traction the topic is getting is not limited just to our site. Want to drive discussion up on a slow bike site bring up a Harley topic. The fact We now have 6 pages of replies on a Honda niche model forum on the VRod, a Harley model that was never really popular and was discontinued kinda underscores my point. Heck, I never even remotely liked this model and I read your post and am commenting on it. : )

(I would consider buying a HD scooter if they made one.)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Peter. Doesn’t matter what brand you ride or if you’re a binge drinker of the Harley Kool Aide, just about everyone has an opinion on the brand, and many of those are at the extremes of pro and con. I’ve said it before, I feel much of the animosity towards the brand is the over the top lifestyle adherents and how they act towards non HD brand riders. The traction the topic is getting is not limited just to our site. Want to drive discussion up on a slow bike site bring up a Harley topic. The fact We now have 6 pages of replies on a Honda niche model forum on the VRod, a Harley model that was never really popular and was discontinued kinda underscores my point. Heck, I never even remotely liked this model and I read your post and am commenting on it. : )

(I would consider buying a HD scooter if they made one.)
...:rolleyes: thank you for taking care of me....do they make it in polka dot pinks :blush:..no, no don't think too far..
 
Yep Harley draws strong emotions from both sides..pro & con. It's hard for people to separate the motorcycle from the motorcycle riders which in many cases relish being hated by outsiders or non riders of the brand.

There are many many Harley riders that are simply enthusiasts of the brand that don't partake in or appreciate the drama, honest, decent, law abiding, dedicated motorcyclists....innocent victims in all of this vitriol imo.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I just checked a Guzzi site I used to be a member of and before the thread on the HD Live Wire dropped off the front page it accumulated 6 pages of replies.
"...used to be a member of..."

Me too.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
I just checked a Guzzi site I used to be a member of and before the thread on the HD Live Wire dropped off the front page it accumulated 6 pages of replies.
"...used to be a member of..."

Me too.
"...used to be a member of..."

Me too.
Yeah, in all fairness to HD, it really is about the owners of the bikes.

An analogy could be dogs out for a walk. Their actions is not their fault - they are animals. The owners - the masters - are responsible for their doings and any aftermaths. If the owners do not act responsibly, then that shows their true colour.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
I just checked a Guzzi site I used to be a member of and before the thread on the HD Live Wire dropped off the front page it accumulated 6 pages of replies.
"...used to be a member of..."

Me too.
"...used to be a member of..."

Me too.
Yeah, in all fairness to HD, it really is about the owners of the bikes.

An analogy could be dogs out for a walk. Their actions is not their fault - they are animals. The owners - the masters - are responsible for their doings and any aftermaths. If the owners do not act responsibly, then that shows their true colour.
"...used to be a member of..."

Me too.
Yeah, in all fairness to HD, it really is about the owners of the bikes.

An analogy could be dogs out for a walk. Their actions is not their fault - they are animals. The owners - the masters - are responsible for their doings and any aftermaths. If the owners do not act responsibly, then that shows their true colour.
well said
 
Thanks PB. Not a profound comment by me, likely been said a few times before. However, I find sometimes some of us get quite passionate about a topic and lose sight of commonsense, and fairness to our fellow [good] riders.
 
Thread starter
apex1_imp said:
I was talking to a good friend who owns a Harley dealership and he told me that for a dealer to get the LiveWire to sell, the dealer must agree to invest $100,000 in a charging facility at the dealership. There are going to be a lot of Harley stores where the LiveWire will not be sold.
Houtman_imp said:
If this is the case than the Livewire could easily become a short /dead wire.
Bheezy27403_imp said:
It already is. I'm pretty sure they don't want to sell any anyways...$30K
Here's Your First Official Look at the Harley-Davidson LiveWire Electric Motorcycle
 
However you feel about Harleys and the cosplaying subset of HD riders, it would be a sad and melancholy thing if Harley-Davidson went out of business. I hope they come up with a good formula to be able to carry on.
 
jitaylor_imp said:
However you feel about Harleys and the cosplaying subset of HD riders, it would be a sad and melancholy thing if Harley-Davidson went out of business. I hope they come up with a good formula to be able to carry on.
Agreed. Regardless of the spectrum of opinions, HD would be missed.

I believe the hard-core cult mentality would wane, but never go away (kinda like Indian). I suppose the worse thing that could happen is a silent sad fizzle like what happened to Saturn ... which had a decent family "cult" following.

Nevertheless, I am not expecting that.
 
Thread starter
jitaylor_imp said:
However you feel about Harleys and the cosplaying subset of HD riders, it would be a sad and melancholy thing if Harley-Davidson went out of business. I hope they come up with a good formula to be able to carry on.
yap, these still are motorcycle brothers, regardless what you like and ride...not to mention about jobs loss
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
HD really needs something on the low end too to help fund expansion of their new product high end.
This is the real truth that they have yet to listen to. They finally got the message about innovation, but have not yet opened their mind to the possibility that they might have a better chance if they tried to get under the price of japanese competition. It's awesome that they're going to make a huge fast electric bike, but you can buy a zero for less than half the price, and 3 japanese dino bikes.

The next big step for HD to take will be finding a way to get that price point way way down so that they're not automatically disqualified as a shopping destination for millions of potential riders.
 
It seems odd that the HD Street 500/750 has been around for a couple of years, but nobody around me at least has brought them up in discussion.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Aren't the Street 500 and Street 750 those bikes? They certainly appear to be price competitive.
At first glance they seem that way but in terms of technology and performance are completely inferior to almost every other bike you can buy for that price. basically, they made bad bikes that were *almost* competitive and tried to say that was this was the available option for new riders. they're also 550lbs or more, which is not ideal for a great many of first time riders. Like a lot of Harley offers, it seems like they approached doing the right thing but somehow torpedoed it in the development stage.
 
Sat on a Street Rod 750 as part of my check-em-out list. Immediately found it way too cramped, quite a small bike in fact. Looked nice, good standard of finish but compared to an MT-07 for example, there is no comparison.
 
Back
Top