HARLEY DAVIDSON V-Rod

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
3f84cd5979795b9c9635596b8c3365a3.jpg


I never new, but the V2 engine in the Harley-Davidson V-Rod with 115 hp and 1131 cm3 is the work of engineers from Porsche....:rolleyes:
Gumby1100, do you hear me?
:)
 
I always thought of the V rod as a great motor in a funky looking motorcycle.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
3f84cd5979795b9c9635596b8c3365a3.jpg


I never new, but the V2 engine in the Harley-Davidson V-Rod with 115 hp and 1131 cm3 is the work of engineers from Porsche....:rolleyes:
Gumby1100, do you hear me?
:)
I hear you. The V-Rod probably had the best engineered Harley engine (thanks to Porsche)...it just didn't have the character or "soul" that most Harley riders were looking for.

I'm still enjoying my 2018 Road King...just not so much currently with it in hibernation for the winter ;)
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
3f84cd5979795b9c9635596b8c3365a3.jpg


I never new, but the V2 engine in the Harley-Davidson V-Rod with 115 hp and 1131 cm3 is the work of engineers from Porsche....:rolleyes:
Gumby1100, do you hear me?
:)
I hear you. The V-Rod probably had the best engineered Harley engine (thanks to Porsche)...it just didn't have the character or "soul" that most Harley riders were looking for.

I'm still enjoying my 2018 Road King...just not so much currently with it in hibernation for the winter ;)
the question come to mind: can you call it a real Harley than? :)
In my opinion not really, thats not a bad thing per sé :)
 
Global economy influence: Some Honda engines are made in Italy, and some BMW engines are made in India. There are numerous examples. No doubt HD had fun with this engine.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Global economy influence: Some Honda engines are made in Italy, and some BMW engines are made in India. There are numerous examples. No doubt HD had fun with this engine.
Yeah, but you are talking about 'The Globalisation' in the economic process.
Production and manufacturing.

Here the topic is that the design, conception, creative idea of the engine was (partially?) of Porsche origin.
Whole different thing.
 
An EMS riding buddy of mine mentioned at one time that he saw a lot of accidents with the HD V-Rod ,more than the % of them sold by HD.
 
Riko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Global economy influence: Some Honda engines are made in Italy, and some BMW engines are made in India. There are numerous examples. No doubt HD had fun with this engine.
Yeah, but you are talking about 'The Globalisation' in the economic process.
Production and manufacturing.

Here the topic is that the design, conception, creative idea of the engine was (partially?) of Porsche origin.
Whole different thing.
Yeah, but you are talking about 'The Globalisation' in the economic process.
Production and manufacturing.

Here the topic is that the design, conception, creative idea of the engine was (partially?) of Porsche origin.
Whole different thing.
Actually, I meant both. Some design is being done in India, Mexico, etc. for the said example firms too. The level of creativity might be different for sure compared to Porsche.
 
BMW successfully got away from the Boxer engine (well, to a degree anyway). Moto Guzzi successful got away from the horizontal single but landed in another silo with the V twin. Harley needs to get away from its' famous V twin or go out of business.
 
Rboe_imp said:
BMW successfully got away from the Boxer engine (well, to a degree anyway). Moto Guzzi successful got away from the horizontal single but landed in another silo with the V twin. Harley needs to get away from its' famous V twin or go out of business.
lol?

0517d2fcf0c02903483b76db922a6068.jpg
 
Riko_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
BMW successfully got away from the Boxer engine (well, to a degree anyway). Moto Guzzi successful got away from the horizontal single but landed in another silo with the V twin. Harley needs to get away from its' famous V twin or go out of business.
lol?

0517d2fcf0c02903483b76db922a6068.jpg
lol?

a8525df8551892a3fab60ec2a3f853d1.jpg

Long live Heath Ledger.
 
Very serious. That engine won't survive emissions requirements (think EURO 4 and greater). At some point it will have to water cooled. Their main customer base is dying off. It's diversify or die. Which they are trying to do. But the old guard will/won't buy into anything else (see the big yawn with the V-Rod) so they will have to make the change with new customers and younger ones.

But they seem stuck on the V twin design. Emotionally that seem like a good idea, but for long term business survival not so great. Just look at what Honda, Yamaha, BMW etc. have done.
 
V Rod - The worst bike I ever owned. Huge disappointment. Lackluster build quality and so-so performance

If you want to be let down, buy one.

Watch a bone stock 1983 GS 1100E eat one on "Pinks"

 
Owner here with me now says can't get very far on a tank of gas, maybe 150 kms. Also, always has to keep battery charged since the built-in (HD?) alarm drinks more than expected battery juice. Not very fun on long journeys - fatigue riding. Other than that, strong pull, alotta torque.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Owner here with me now says can't get very far on a tank of gas, maybe 150 kms. Also, always has to keep battery charged since the built-in (HD?) alarm drinks more than expected battery juice. Not very fun on long journeys - fatigue riding. Other than that, strong pull, alotta torque.
..any help/indication with parasitic draw test???
:huh:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Owner here with me now says can't get very far on a tank of gas, maybe 150 kms. Also, always has to keep battery charged since the built-in (HD?) alarm drinks more than expected battery juice. Not very fun on long journeys - fatigue riding. Other than that, strong pull, alotta torque.
..any help/indication with parasitic draw test???
:huh:
..any help/indication with parasitic draw test???
:huh:
I measured the parked/ignition off draw at about 250 mA. I pulled the fuse to the security system and draw dropped below 1 mA. The bike is okay parked for about just over a week. After that it needs a boost.

To say the least, not very exciting. Nevertheless, the owner gets a rush riding it, and I suppose that's all that matters.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Owner here with me now says can't get very far on a tank of gas, maybe 150 kms. Also, always has to keep battery charged since the built-in (HD?) alarm drinks more than expected battery juice. Not very fun on long journeys - fatigue riding. Other than that, strong pull, alotta torque.
..any help/indication with parasitic draw test???
:huh:
..any help/indication with parasitic draw test???
:huh:
I measured the parked/ignition off draw at about 250 mA. I pulled the fuse to the security system and draw dropped below 1 mA. The bike is okay parked for about just over a week. After that it needs a boost.

To say the least, not very exciting. Nevertheless, the owner gets a rush riding it, and I suppose that's all that matters.
..any help/indication with parasitic draw test???
:huh: I measured the parked/ignition off draw at about 250 mA. I pulled the fuse to the security system and draw dropped below 1 mA. The bike is okay parked for about just over a week. After that it needs a boost.
To say the least, not very exciting. Nevertheless, the owner gets a rush riding it, and I suppose that's all that matters.
1/4 A discharge = :huh:..lucky it goes dead after one week, not sooner
 
why not pull the fuse, leave it out, and be thankful if someone steals it?

I kid
 
Back
Top