Harley-Davidson closing Kansas plant

Thread starter
I am not blind to H-D shortfalls, but my focus has been entirely on Sportsters (although I was aware of an issue with my eldest son-in-laws Road King and alerted him to it).

After posting on one Sportster forum for 10 years (mainly electrical and carb issues) and then, after its demise, on another Sportster forum for almost 6 years, I am very familiar with shortcomings.

Nonetheless, my love for the Sportster is not diminished. I have friends with iron butt certificates with well over 100,000 miles on their Sportsters.

However, until the CANBus models (2014 up), they have been relatively easy to troubleshoot and maintain.

My CB1100 (with which I am very fond, already) could easily have been another Sportster, except that the low and super low models have prevailed. H-D quit making a true Sportster. They do have a 1200R, but seating and handlebars simply do not feel "standard". I came close to buying a 2008 883R (last year of roadster in USA, until recently) in 2012, before I bought the 2012 Bonneville. Since the CB1100 took a chunk of 401K funds, it will likely be my final (#17) M/C and it seems very fitting, since I started with a Honda in 1963. Got several compliments and several questions on yesterday's ride.

Sportster wiring has become more complicated, but that is true of all brands replacing carbs with EFI.

A bit of info, for anyone interested:

2004-2006 wiring
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1869052

2007-2013 wiring
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1869053

2007-2009 issues
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showt...459&page=2

Model year observations
[url=http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1832807&page=2]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showt...807&page=2

CANBus (2014 up)
[url=http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1995444]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1995444


OK, off my soapbox and henceforth back to the CB1100
 
pdedse Wrote:I will NOT buy a bike manufactured in 2024.
Neither will I, at least not for another six years or so.

:D
 
All manufacturers have a certain number of machines that end up with defects. Hence the reason they give you a warranty. Lets say they have a 5% defect rate (number I pulled out of air btw... Although BMW once claimed their final drive failure rate was 5% so maybe that's where that number stuck in my head from) To me that means when you buy one you have a 5% chance of buying one that will end up with some kind of issue... Or a 95% chance that you won't. Considering these are machines, made up of literally thousands of parts, that's pretty good.

Although Harley is statistally rated lower than some other mfgs, we don't have hard numbers telling us what the % is, or if most of the defects end up being one piece from a certain outside supplier for one specific model dragging the rest of the numbers down. I certainly don't view HD as making unreliable motorcycles. There is certainly anectdotal evidence that many Harleys get ridden lots of miles with no or few mechanical issues. I tour a lot, and see a lot of Harleys out on the highway. Rolling, not sitting on the side of the highway.

Now back in the mid 70s (under AMF rule) they were truly bad motorcycles. It seemed there were 25 Goldwings on the Highway for every HD I saw. Today, it is just the opposite. I see 25 HDs for every Goldwing on the highway. Harley has made a miraculous come back and they would never have been able to do that if they were still producing AMF quality machines.

There are 4 or 5 manufacturers I would avoid before avoiding Harley .... almost exclusively European. But that's just me.

As complicated as motorcycles are nowadays, (everyone's motorcycles) I'm actually amazed they are as reliable as they are. That goes for cars too.
 
The ferret_imp said:
All manufacturers have a certain number of machines that end up with defects. Hence the reason they give you a warranty. Lets say they have a 5% defect rate (number I pulled out of air btw... Although BMW once claimed their final drive failure rate was 5% so maybe that's where that number stuck in my head from) To me that means when you buy one you have a 5% chance of buying one that will end up with some kind of issue... Or a 95% chance that you won't. Considering these are machines, made up of literally thousands of parts, that's pretty good.

Although Harley is statistally rated lower than some other mfgs, we don't have hard numbers telling us what the % is, or if most of the defects end up being one piece from a certain outside supplier for one specific model dragging the rest of the numbers down. I certainly don't view HD as making unreliable motorcycles. There is certainly anectdotal evidence that many Harleys get ridden lots of miles with no or few mechanical issues. I tour a lot, and see a lot of Harleys out on the highway. Rolling, not sitting on the side of the highway.

Now back in the mid 70s (under AMF rule) they were truly bad motorcycles. It seemed there were 25 Goldwings on the Highway for every HD I saw. Today, it is just the opposite. I see 25 HDs for every Goldwing on the highway. Harley has made a miraculous come back and they would never have been able to do that if they were still producing AMF quality machines.

There are 4 or 5 manufacturers I would avoid before avoiding Harley .... almost exclusively European. But that's just me.

As complicated as motorcycles are nowadays, (everyone's motorcycles) I'm actually amazed they are as reliable as they are. That goes for cars too.
Lacing up my ice skates.

If Hades ain't froze up, the Yukon River sure is.

I feel the same way, but the BMW in my garage makes me a hypocrite. Among other things, that is.
 
I've avoided Harley Davidsons because they tend to design motorcycles that do not really align with my tastes or preferences (however I do find the earlier Sportsters attractive from a visual standpoint). So again, that's definitely not a knock on HD the company.
 
I like Harleys but will never own one because they have such bizarre ergos. Every time I sit on a Harley everything seems out of place. And the sound, like an ill tuned 20 year old dump truck. I know most people rave about that Harley "potato-potato beat; guess I'm the exception. Many of my riding buddies own and love their HD's and seem to get very reliable service from them. I'm glad HD is still around and wish them the best.
 
Doc, I had one of these. Man, it's a beautiful bike. Why did I sell it? Bought a Dyna-Glide. But it was huge fun.

6eff2bdd7bd56bb4c9adcc45c8adfffd.jpg
 
Thread starter
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Doc, I had one of these. Man, it's a beautiful bike. Why did I sell it? Bought a Dyna-Glide. But it was huge fun.

6eff2bdd7bd56bb4c9adcc45c8adfffd.jpg
There was a time when I was considering a FXDX or maybe even a FXDXT.
The Dyna/Super Glide is now gone :huh:
The FXDX was the closest big twin to a Sportster

These were my 2002 1200 Sport ("impact blue" - never liked that name) and 2003 XLH883 vivid black).

http://sportsterpedia.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/sportster_history:2002_xl1200s.jpg?w=300&tok=d5dba0

http://sportsterpedia.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/sportster_history:2003_xlh883.jpg?w=300&tok=5857cb


Shoulda kept 'em...and maybe the 2012 Triumph Bonneville.
But, I've been happy with most of my bikes. The V7II was an exception...but there was still a lot to like.
 
I ran a 99 Sportster Sport. I enjoyed the torque, but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I'm glad I owned it. I think it was a bucket list kind of thing. We shall see how many miles my new 14 CB1100 gets on it in the next few years!!!
 
Thread starter
Labrador12_imp said:
I ran a 99 Sportster Sport. I enjoyed the torque, but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I'm glad I owned it. I think it was a bucket list kind of thing. We shall see how many miles my new 14 CB1100 gets on it in the next few years!!!
Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Labrador12_imp said:
I ran a 99 Sportster Sport. I enjoyed the torque, but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I'm glad I owned it. I think it was a bucket list kind of thing. We shall see how many miles my new 14 CB1100 gets on it in the next few years!!!
Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport.
Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport. Here's one I would not have minded owning for a while.

I am certain one of our members owns one, or did. Maybe the Ferret can recall. I met a guy at a trackday who had one and he was having a fantastic time on it. WSIR 2.5 mile!

 
The Sportster actually played a role in the CB1100's history. SportsterDoc, et al., you might already be aware if this, but just in case...

Mitsuyoshi Kohama has noted that in 1998 when returned to Japan following his multi-year assignment in Europe he was ready to buy a new motorcycle. But Honda did not offer any models that appealed to him at that time. (He had owned a CB750F for many years prior to his European assignment and rode many different bikes while located there.) He desired a motorcycle that offered more than just speed or performance. The bikes that came to mind for him were the Ducati Monster and the Harley Davidson Sportster — larger displacement bikes that could be ridden with minimal effort and that epitomized their manufacturers even if the prices were considered to be on the high side. It was from this experience that his earliest ideas for the CB1100 were formed.

For that I am definitely grateful to Harley Davidson and the Sportster in particular.
 
Guth_imp said:
The Sportster actually played a role in the CB1100's history. SportsterDoc, et al., you might already be aware if this, but just in case...

Mitsuyoshi Kohama has noted that in 1998 when returned to Japan following his multi-year assignment in Europe he was ready to buy a new motorcycle. But Honda did not offer any models that appealed to him at that time. (He had owned a CB750F for many years prior to his European assignment and rode many different bikes while located there.) He desired a motorcycle that offered more than just speed or performance. The bikes that came to mind for him were the Ducati Monster and the Harley Davidson Sportster — larger displacement bikes that could be ridden with minimal effort and that epitomized their manufacturers even if the prices were considered to be on the high side. It was from this experience that his earliest ideas for the CB1100 were formed.

For that I am definitely grateful to Harley Davidson and the Sportster in particular.
Does not surprise me at all. I always thought of my CB1100 as another version of my Sportster Roadster. Weighs about the same, does about the same things, although I am not altogether sure the Roadster didn't handle a little better in the twisties. Low CG and all, and huge torque. But basically the same idea, a great do-everything bike that handles well and has big style.
 
Ulvetanna, as I mentioned earlier, the XR1200R the one Sportster that really tugged at me. I still wouldn't mind owning one. I really would have liked to see Harley Davidson give that bike even more of a street tracker look.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Doc, I had one of these. Man, it's a beautiful bike. Why did I sell it? Bought a Dyna-Glide. But it was huge fun.

6eff2bdd7bd56bb4c9adcc45c8adfffd.jpg
You all know, I do not love Harleys...but I honestly have to say this particular one with its color arrangement looks really good!!!:clap:
There probably are a few more that I would like as far as their look is concerned.:D...

:beerchug:

pb
 
redbirds_imp said:
Seems I recall the Kansas City plant is where the 500 and 750 water cooled twins are assembled and dealers around here can hardly give them away.
We have 2 Street 750s we took on trade and nobody has even looked at them. They are terrible, terrible bikes.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Labrador12_imp said:
I ran a 99 Sportster Sport. I enjoyed the torque, but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I'm glad I owned it. I think it was a bucket list kind of thing. We shall see how many miles my new 14 CB1100 gets on it in the next few years!!!
Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport.
Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport. Here's one I would not have minded owning for a while.

I am certain one of our members owns one, or did. Maybe the Ferret can recall. I met a guy at a trackday who had one and he was having a fantastic time on it. WSIR 2.5 mile!
Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport. Here's one I would not have minded owning for a while.

I am certain one of our members owns one, or did. Maybe the Ferret can recall. I met a guy at a trackday who had one and he was having a fantastic time on it. WSIR 2.5 mile!


Frulk has a XR1200.

When I first decided in 2015 to get a second street bike with a standard seating position I first starting looking for the XR1200 but there doesn't seem to be very many here on the east coast of Canada. In almost 3 years I have only seen one for sale in late 2015 and it sold within hours - I missed it.

So in March 2017 (I missed most of the 2016 season due to my wife being in cancer treatment) I went to the HD/Honda/KTM to try the 2017 Sportster Roadster but the ergos were terrible for me. I then tried a KTM Super Duke but didn't care for it.

In the back they had near mint 1978 CB750 Super Sport, I tried it and liked it but the shop owner wouldn't sell it as he wanted for a display bike.

I then remembered how much I liked 2014 CB1100 and without knowing how rare they are in Canada I looked for a used one. By some miracle stroke of luck a dealer had one so I grabbed it right away sight unseen.

When I found this forum I found out how lucky I had really been and a forum member had been the previous owner my bike so I even know the history of it and how it was treated (it had 4500km on it).
 
Great story W/R. I suppose if I'm being honest then I'm a bit sad that you weren't able to find a XR1200R. Yet I'm also pretty happy that this ultimately ended up with you landing a CB1100 instead. :D :biker:
 
Guth_imp said:
Great story W/R. I suppose if I'm being honest then I'm a bit sad that you weren't able to find a XR1200R. Yet I'm also pretty happy that this ultimately ended up with you landing a CB1100 instead. :D :biker:
Yes, it was a bit of double edged sword. I have always liked the Sportster and a friend had a '07 Nightster that I got ride a few times and I had an absolute hoot - such a great motor. I figured the XR1200R would be even more of a good thing with better ergos.

But I am ecstatic that I have the CB1100 now which I love. Shortly after buying it my Buell followed me home to scratch the other itch. But to be brutally honest, even though the Buell is a far better bike for me than my CB (better suspension, seating position, more versatile) I find it to be incredibly ugly and it feels more like a utility bike when I ride it. Still fun though.

The CB is just stunning and the feeling I get when riding it indescribable for me.

If I see an XR1200R for sale the Buell is gone in a heart beat.
 
Even though my last Harley was a 94, I rode the Blue Ridge and down to the Dragon with a buddy on an 2012 Sportster 1200 that he had put longer rear shocks and mid mount pegs on. We swapped bikes a couple times on the trip. His had great ergos, just right for me for long distance riding. Just like sitting in a chair, and the rear brake was awesome but the front brake was lacking. Of course it vibrated compared to the CB but not horribly, and it steered a little heavy. Too loud for me even with stock pipes. And we had a couple of mechanical issues with his that required borrowing tools from a gas station (twice in 3 days). I'll never forget what my buddy said after riding the CB for the first time "The only thing these two bikes have in common is they are both motorcycles". He sold the Harley as soon as we got back from the trip and bought a Versys 650, which he eventually sold to buy a GS BMW which he sold to buy another Versys which he sold to buy another GS which he just recently sold lol.
 
Back
Top