Harley adventure bike

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
No joke :)

Its called the HD Stealth and personally I dig it.

The Harley-Davidson 750 Stealth Concept Is An Honest-To-God Harley Adventure Bike - Jalopnik

790760fb487ce496b94f8fc1ab91d186.jpg

e09f0825d67ad02f5575d44daa5ad398.jpg

2939f1da37e5109ba2ec20fa92b69068.jpg

c0e13d7b0950896a4dc613b32843d303.jpg

a0f26b3c32cbfa81c2f44a292b1ebf03.jpg


HD should think more often out of the box...
 
Hey they found something to do with all those liquid cooled 750 motors no one is buying. LOL Love the little skull above the headlight. Hard for them break from character isn't it?
 
Harley should just stick with what they do well. Oh wait, change that to "what's been working for them."

90% of all Harleys made in the past 15 years are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home. :P:D
 
I just can't wait till I'm driving on one of our local logging roads and I get passed by a group of 10 guys on these wearing skeleton masks, leather vests and beanie helmets. HD does have the heritage, the Harley WLA (their WW2 bike) could possibly the original ADV bike, but I just don't think they could overcome the incongruity between off-road adventures and much of their current rider base.
 
Thread starter
Ducati made a cruiser, ducati made the firts ever belt driven duc, all in one bike, their Diavel.

Harley made a water cooled engine with the Vrods
They even made their classic air cooled engines partially water cooled.

Why not think out of the box even further? :)
I like to quote this line from the article:
'But, luckily for us, Harley-Davidson doesn’t care what anyone expects them to do, because they do whatever the cuss they want.'
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Harley should just stick with what they do well. Oh wait, change that to "what's been working for them."

90% of all Harleys made in the past 15 years are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home. :P:D
Very good, I wish I'd said that, but then I probably will.;)
 
According to Clement Salvadori, all motorcycles are adventure bikes and every ride an adventure. The limit being how much adventure you wish to have.
 
The adv market has been one off the up and coming market segments..
The buell Ulysses wasn't a bad bike, they got out too soon, rumors were it was going to get the wc'd bike, before Hd pulled the plug on buell.

The 750 is actually not bad, but it's dealers load it down with "extras" which jacks the price.. Find a stripper ( the bike ) and its a good bike (if you get used, get the brakes updated).. It was also made for overseas markets, basically a smaller urban bike.. The sell it here in the us primarily for inseemed challenged folks, and to replace the buell as an entry level bike

I'll bet it's make a decent power plant for a adv bike.. Buell made due with an older engine and it turned out ok..
 
The one thing that will be awesome about a Harley ADV is that it would come with basically the best dealer support network out there, awesome for service or breakdowns on long trips.

Still...

54c9faa7c1713fa0f7caf8de4157cfa9.jpg
 
Heard RTW Doug speak at a motorcycle show one winter, interesting fellow. Customized a Sportster, his way, and rode it around the work. Still rides exotic places, on Harley. Have seen pictures of and write ups on dual sporting Harley's, some folks know their stuff.

Not my first choice, or second, .........

Harley has to do something to stay relevant. Hate to see them become just another Old Navy mall store.
 
if Harley needs to stay relevant they need to do more than create a adv bike

They had one with the Ulysses and if it would have gotten the 1125 water cooled motor it would have been a solid rtw bike, as it was the air cooled one wasn't bad, but there weren't that many adv bike when it was available ... I used to have a ktm990adv and I still have a 620egs-e (basically the low pipe adventure - it was the bike ktm ran in the Dakar).. The problem is now there are a lot more big adv bike to pick, ktm adv, bmw gs, triumph, Yamaha, etc...

I personally think Harley is in trouble now...

Late last year I got my first Harley (shocker I know). I got it for around town stuff and to hopefully flip (my cb is for more fun twisted stuff). Only reason I got it was a coworker was getting out of riding, his 13 year old Harley was mint with low miles, and he sold to me for about 1/2 retail.. I figured if I rode it with a for sale sign and I could make a nice profit.. I thought wrong. The offers and going price was pretty close to what I paid (admittedly it was end of the season).

Here's the problem, my 13 year old dyna wide glide with the 88ci is for all intensive purposes looks like a 2016 dyna, minus some little changes.. However, in the last 13 years, Harley has punched out their engines (96ci 103ci 110ci).
So if you have someone looking for more punch, folks are going to go newer..

So while it's good for the HD dealerships, the dropping price and dropping demand for used bikes is going to dilute the brand.. Keep in mind that HD sells a lifestyle. Their bikes Have or used to have a cache with ownership. It used to not matter what year you used to own.. If now you gotta have a "newer" one, kinda the way the sportbike crowd has to update their bikes every few year to be "cool". It's going to eventually be an issue

If HD loses this in the used bike market, and they become just another used bike in the market, sure they will get some $ for those who update every few years, but their going to lose out on sales of jackets, tshirts, and the aftermarket companies will lose $ in the long run as it won't be lifestyle anymore in the long run.
 
Looks like Harley's exceptional run is over; while some will buy for the image, they will have to back things up with a performing product now (in many respects they have improved their product, just need some more improvements).

It was fun while it lasted.
 
As much as some people may claim different, Harley's still the bike to own. Their biggest issue is they are pricing themselves out of many new buyers range, and today's new riders aren't into buying sub liter rides. They need to stabilize the price even with the improving economy.
 
"As much as some people may claim different, Harley's still the bike to own."

Hmmm... why would you say that?
 
Back
Top