Hard luggage suggestions?

run-tmc_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I’m looking at replacing the soft panniers that came with my CB for free when I bought it as im getting a bit tired of the certainty of my clothes/shoes becoming soaked at the first sign of inclement weather and the ratty look. I took some great advice from Raceman on the Hepko Becker Junior 30L bags and though expensive, am close to pulling the trigger. I thought I better take one last poll for other options out there that look as sleek and are as functional as the HB JR30s.

Does anyone have great experiences with hard luggage to add to the chat?
Also, has anyone else bought bags, etc from Moto Machines? Were they good to deal with or not? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
+1 for Givi Monokey. I have a mount plate on all of my bikes and have a few different trunks depending on my carrying needs. Have one for sale in the classifieds too!
 
3594a4fa777274589e6f1b9e4a55c422.jpg

Not the most “eye-appealing” storage, but:
-Watertight
-Lockable
-easily removable
-doesn’t rub any body parts as side bags can potentially do


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Can't agree more mtneers.

I have the same top box, transferred between multiple bikes over many, many years. No drama. The design just works. Never a problem with the Monokey approach.
 
I've been really happy with SW-motech evo racks and trax ion boxes. I can fit a ton of gear in them, and can strip the entire system off the bike in ~1 minute.
 
I have Givi luggage on another bike but I think the Hepco & Beckers Juniors look real classy on the CB1100
 
mtneers_imp said:
3594a4fa777274589e6f1b9e4a55c422.jpg

Not the most “eye-appealing” storage, but:
-Watertight
-Lockable
-easily removable
-doesn’t rub any body parts as side bags can potentially do


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like your setup mtneers :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
koehlerk_imp said:
I got some SW Motech mounts and bags. They're nice. Not hard, not soft...kind of a hybrid. Easy to mount the hardware. Why ruin the look of the CB with hard bag on the back?

On my bike:
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15965&pid=280011#pid280011

Where to buy:
Motorcycle Panniers for Every Adventure

While I still think the HB Junior 30s look very sleek on the CB and do not ruin the look, you’ve got my attention with the SW Motech Urban ABS bags.

I’m curious if anyone knows if there are significant differences between the mounting of the racks on a 2016 EX as they are designed and my 2014 Standard?

Koehlerk, have you taken any multi-day trips using those bags? I’m wondering if I will regret trimming capacity by 13.5L per side in going for the SW Motech bags vs the HBs.

Does anyone that runs the Junior 30s feel like they have too much space?

Thanks!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I like these, but their website only lists them for 2016EX. I'd like to get them for my 2013 Standard, but not if they won't fit without extensive modification. Does anybody know?
 
There are differences in angles, spacers, and maybe some mounting points. I can’t recall them all, but there is a post somewhere that lays out the differences. I have to do some searching today and see if I can find it.
 
run-tmc_imp said:
koehlerk_imp said:
I got some SW Motech mounts and bags. They're nice. Not hard, not soft...kind of a hybrid. Easy to mount the hardware. Why ruin the look of the CB with hard bag on the back?

On my bike:
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15965&pid=280011#pid280011

Where to buy:
Motorcycle Panniers for Every Adventure

While I still think the HB Junior 30s look very sleek on the CB and do not ruin the look, you’ve got my attention with the SW Motech Urban ABS bags.

I’m curious if anyone knows if there are significant differences between the mounting of the racks on a 2016 EX as they are designed and my 2014 Standard?

Koehlerk, have you taken any multi-day trips using those bags? I’m wondering if I will regret trimming capacity by 13.5L per side in going for the SW Motech bags vs the HBs.

Does anyone that runs the Junior 30s feel like they have too much space?

Thanks!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I still think the HB Junior 30s look very sleek on the CB and do not ruin the look, you’ve got my attention with the SW Motech Urban ABS bags.

I’m curious if anyone knows if there are significant differences between the mounting of the racks on a 2016 EX as they are designed and my 2014 Standard?

Koehlerk, have you taken any multi-day trips using those bags? I’m wondering if I will regret trimming capacity by 13.5L per side in going for the SW Motech bags vs the HBs.

Does anyone that runs the Junior 30s feel like they have too much space?

Thanks!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom,
I haven't taken a multi-day trip yet, but I bought the bags with that in mind. Also, I carry all my baseball gear to and from games (batting helmet, two gloves, cleats, growler size water bottle, lunchbox).

I pack pretty light (old habits from Oregon Wilderness Ranger gig in Forest Service).

I can fit:
1 Fleece jacket
4 pair socks
4 pair underwear
2 tshirts
1 long sleeve shirt
Flip flops
Swimsuit
Small microfiber towel
Sleeping bag
Jetboil stove and fuel
Inflatable pillow
Inflatable sleeping pad
REI Quarterdome 1 person tent (poles won't fit)



[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n4F9bg]

I'd have to have a separate bag I'd strap to the back of the seat to hold my food, water container, and tent poles.

If you were going to motel or hotel it, it'd be no problem. The sleeping bag takes up the most the space in the bags.

I can do some measurements on the rack mount points later if you'd like.
 
Thread starter
koehlerk_imp said:
run-tmc_imp said:
koehlerk_imp said:
I got some SW Motech mounts and bags. They're nice. Not hard, not soft...kind of a hybrid. Easy to mount the hardware. Why ruin the look of the CB with hard bag on the back?

On my bike:
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15965&pid=280011#pid280011

Where to buy:
Motorcycle Panniers for Every Adventure

While I still think the HB Junior 30s look very sleek on the CB and do not ruin the look, you’ve got my attention with the SW Motech Urban ABS bags.

I’m curious if anyone knows if there are significant differences between the mounting of the racks on a 2016 EX as they are designed and my 2014 Standard?

Koehlerk, have you taken any multi-day trips using those bags? I’m wondering if I will regret trimming capacity by 13.5L per side in going for the SW Motech bags vs the HBs.

Does anyone that runs the Junior 30s feel like they have too much space?

Thanks!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I still think the HB Junior 30s look very sleek on the CB and do not ruin the look, you’ve got my attention with the SW Motech Urban ABS bags.

I’m curious if anyone knows if there are significant differences between the mounting of the racks on a 2016 EX as they are designed and my 2014 Standard?

Koehlerk, have you taken any multi-day trips using those bags? I’m wondering if I will regret trimming capacity by 13.5L per side in going for the SW Motech bags vs the HBs.

Does anyone that runs the Junior 30s feel like they have too much space?

Thanks!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom,
I haven't taken a multi-day trip yet, but I bought the bags with that in mind. Also, I carry all my baseball gear to and from games (batting helmet, two gloves, cleats, growler size water bottle, lunchbox).

I pack pretty light (old habits from Oregon Wilderness Ranger gig in Forest Service).

I can fit:
1 Fleece jacket
4 pair socks
4 pair underwear
2 tshirts
1 long sleeve shirt
Flip flops
Swimsuit
Small microfiber towel
Sleeping bag
Jetboil stove and fuel
Inflatable pillow
Inflatable sleeping pad
REI Quarterdome 1 person tent (poles won't fit)



[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n4F9bg]

I'd have to have a separate bag I'd strap to the back of the seat to hold my food, water container, and tent poles.

If you were going to motel or hotel it, it'd be no problem. The sleeping bag takes up the most the space in the bags.

I can do some measurements on the rack mount points later if you'd like.


While I still think the HB Junior 30s look very sleek on the CB and do not ruin the look, you’ve got my attention with the SW Motech Urban ABS bags.

I’m curious if anyone knows if there are significant differences between the mounting of the racks on a 2016 EX as they are designed and my 2014 Standard?

Koehlerk, have you taken any multi-day trips using those bags? I’m wondering if I will regret trimming capacity by 13.5L per side in going for the SW Motech bags vs the HBs.

Does anyone that runs the Junior 30s feel like they have too much space?

Thanks!
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom,
I haven't taken a multi-day trip yet, but I bought the bags with that in mind. Also, I carry all my baseball gear to and from games (batting helmet, two gloves, cleats, growler size water bottle, lunchbox).

I pack pretty light (old habits from Oregon Wilderness Ranger gig in Forest Service).

I can fit:
1 Fleece jacket
4 pair socks
4 pair underwear
2 tshirts
1 long sleeve shirt
Flip flops
Swimsuit
Small microfiber towel
Sleeping bag
Jetboil stove and fuel
Inflatable pillow
Inflatable sleeping pad
REI Quarterdome 1 person tent (poles won't fit)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n4CfiF]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n4F9bg]

I'd have to have a separate bag I'd strap to the back of the seat to hold my food, water container, and tent poles.

If you were going to motel or hotel it, it'd be no problem. The sleeping bag takes up the most the space in the bags.

I can do some measurements on the rack mount points later if you'd like.

Impressive packing!
I’ll try to do some searching for differences between mounting on the ‘16 vs my ‘14 as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
On an ADV forum there seems to be a spread on who can pack the most on their motorcycle (Seriously, like a travelling gypsy), and who can travel with the least (For example: No panniers). In both situations packing includes the handling of human and mechanical emergencies, multiple overnights in the wild, and strangely: Meat for the BBQ.
 
"and strangely: Meat for the BBQ"

That's the Ron Swanson approach.

I can pack a surprising amount into my Givi V47 for multi-day rides. Clean underwear and socks, shaving kit, and hotel reservations.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
"and strangely: Meat for the BBQ"

That's the Ron Swanson approach.

I can pack a surprising amount into my Givi V47 for multi-day rides. Clean underwear and socks, shaving kit, and hotel reservations.
Geeez, who would pack dirty undies....before multi-day rides
95754a7657bcf149736c3b39e623d885.gif

:D
 
Back
Top