handle bar grip glue

I dont use any glue. Just cut or blow the old grips off, squirt some contact cleaner in the new grip swish it around and slide it on really quick. Give it a few mins for the contact cleaner to dry up. Done.
 
Thread starter
ok guys, contact cleaner aint gonna work cause i already had cleaned old glue up. may try hairspray. do i need to use the kind that the spike guys use on their hair :clap:
 
When I put heated grips on the ST1300, the dealer service manager said if the grip is going to fit tight, use Pro-Honda grip cement. If it fits, well, not tight, use gel super glue. I used the Honda stuff.

Naturally, like most things, there appears to be more than one way to skin a cat. Disclaimer: I have 2 cats. Don't want to skin them :)
 
Just had a call from the cats, popgun. They don't believe you.
 
Leftover clear spray paint (because it's going to ooze out), silicone seal or caulk or construction adhesive in a tube, whatever stuff you have leftover in the garage.

As long as it gives you time to slide on that sometimes stubborn grip and to rotate it into position then you're good to go.

Don't use that super glue stuff they include with grips, that stuff will setup too fast and you'll be cursing when the grip is stuck in the wrong position.

If you're a golfer and you regrip clubs you can use the tape and solvent method too.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
The Honda glue is basically a contact cement. After applying it to both surfaces it will set up. Before installing the grip, you are supposed to apply isopropyl alcohol liberally to allow the grip to slide on. You MUST move fast though.

And Cormanus--as much as those cats eat, they should be worried. Bet they taste like chicken! :)
 
Recipe for roast cat

Take one medium-sized cat.
Skin
Spray lightly with Dr Dactyl's Omnigrade cooking oil
Place on a baking dish with one medium sized common or garden rock
Place in an oven at 230ºC and cook until the rock is soft
Chuck the cat and enjoy the rock with Cranberry sauce and vegetables of your choice.
 
Thread starter
went with Dr Dactyl's Omnigrade cooking oil. couldn't have worked better.also got out the electric dog polisher and gave her a waxing. :huh:
thanx for all the suggestions . it's done and we will move on now, i hope.next up, how to hit the apex !!!!!!! :beerchug:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Recipe for roast cat

Take one medium-sized cat.
Skin
Spray lightly with Dr Dactyl's Omnigrade cooking oil
Place on a baking dish with one medium sized common or garden rock
Place in an oven at 230ºC and cook until the rock is soft
Chuck the cat and enjoy the rock with Cranberry sauce and vegetables of your choice.
Now we know the secret of "mystery meat" at Chinese restaurants.

And may we expect your latest edition of Oz Cookery soon Cormanus?
 
I use double-face carpet tape wrapped around the bars. Then, swish mineral spirits inside the grip, pour onto the carpet tape and slip grip on. You will have several minutes to fine tune the position, as needed, before the tape sets up. After a couple hours, the grips will not move.
 
I love reading these types of threads...so many different methods.

I used one of two methods depending upon how tight the grips fit. If it's a tight fit, brake parts cleaner works well because it causes the rubber to slightly vulcanize to the bar or throttle tube. I give just a quick spray, not soaking the inside of the grip. You do have to be quick getting the grip slid on and positioned because it sets up FAST.

When I have to glue the grips, I have found that E6000, a craft glue you can find at Walmart, Michaels, etc has just enough grip and sets up fairly quick. It also cleans off easy when you go to remove the grips.

If you are running aluminum bars that are textured or have a knurled surface, you'll probably need hlue, at least that's my experience.
 
Old thread, but I need a better method of sticking on my grips.
My tale of woe... I replaced my original grips with Oxford heated grips last year. On the left side I used hairspray and it works well except when the grips are on high heat, at which point they slip. Not really a big deal, as I don't go twisting on that grip so much. The right side I put on with gel super glue that came with the grips. It worked well until today when it failed. But superglue is a real challenge to use because if you don't really move, you can glue everything into the wrong position. And drips can make a real mess of the job.
So, any other suggestions for me? Something that will hold, even when the grips are hot? I like the idea of the carpet tape suggested earlier, but the grip is a pretty tight fit on the throttle tube and I fear that I won't be able to get the grip on over the tape.
And a question for you cycle engineers... why can't the folks that make these things just mold some grooves into the grips and ridges into the throttle tube? This seems like a simple enough thing and it would make life a lot better when replacing grips, bars, etc.
 
I'm sure some on here will have better ideas, but I used the Honda grip glue and followed the instructions with the Honda heated grips (I put them on the ST, not the CB, but the same applies)

I had to put the glue on the bar, and in the grip, then put alcohol on the glue which let it slide right on. Pretty much right on. You do have to plan and move fast or fight it at the end as the alcohol evaporates pretty fast and the glue is like contact cement.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I'm sure some on here will have better ideas, but I used the Honda grip glue and followed the instructions with the Honda heated grips (I put them on the ST, not the CB, but the same applies)

I had to put the glue on the bar, and in the grip, then put alcohol on the glue which let it slide right on. Pretty much right on. You do have to plan and move fast or fight it at the end as the alcohol evaporates pretty fast and the glue is like contact cement.
Thanks. I saw someone else (maybe you?) mentioned that. I will see if I can find some.
 
It most likely was me as I have mentioned it before. I can't find it right now, but I think it was called Honda Pro Grip. I imagine other brands would be about the same.
 
Back
Top