hand guards and heated grips

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm planning on getting a set of hand guards and heated grips installed some time before the end of October, and I wanted to a little insight from those of you that have been using them for a while:

Regarding the heated grips themselves, Honda OEM or aftermarket? which is more popular? My gut tells me Honda OEM.

Regarding the Hand guards: I currently have a Dart Marlin Screen (Smoke) and I want to keep up with that same "blacked out" look, so if i get hand guards that are clear, i'd prefer if they were also heavily tinted. The only one I've seen like that in my limited research is the Chicdesign model (Chic Design:Hand-guards,Tinted,2010-2013 CB1100 | Samurider.com). Are there any alternatives? It's worth pointing out that i'm also not completely sold on them being transparent either. If there are any solid black ones i'd take a look at those too.

What are some common things i could accidently permanently ruin due to inexperience while installing heated grips?
 
I have Oxford heated grips and love them.
e6144206f82e5c42d43be29c4dea6e75.jpg
37ad424f6850a61139441aeb5cadddba.jpg
 
kennyw_imp said:
I have Oxford heated grips and love them.
e6144206f82e5c42d43be29c4dea6e75.jpg
37ad424f6850a61139441aeb5cadddba.jpg

Question for those that use heated grips. At what temperature do you typically turn them on? I live in the south and have assumed I would rarely use them if I had them but I’m curious since everyone seems to love them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Chync,
I also live in the south and find heated grips a wonderful convenience. In just cool to moderate temps and fall mornings running the warmers on their lowest settings is a treat. I never noticed chilly hands until I didn't experience them. On cold days the difference is obvious but to me the icing on the cake is the unexpected comfort on those morning rides I never considered uncomfortable, extends the comfortable riding season seamlessly. Plus the ability to wear lighter weight and more comfortable gloves longer in the season.
 
Thread starter
Chync,

I can tell you i'll probably start turning them on in December. once it dips below 45, the gloves stop working. the hand guards will probably give me more tolerance to be honest, but why not use'em if i have'em right?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I'm planning on getting a set of hand guards and heated grips installed some time before the end of October, and I wanted to a little insight from those of you that have been using them for a while:

Regarding the heated grips themselves, Honda OEM or aftermarket? which is more popular? My gut tells me Honda OEM.

Regarding the Hand guards: I currently have a Dart Marlin Screen (Smoke) and I want to keep up with that same "blacked out" look, so if i get hand guards that are clear, i'd prefer if they were also heavily tinted. The only one I've seen like that in my limited research is the Chicdesign model (Chic Design:Hand-guards,Tinted,2010-2013 CB1100 | Samurider.com). Are there any alternatives? It's worth pointing out that i'm also not completely sold on them being transparent either. If there are any solid black ones i'd take a look at those too.

What are some common things i could accidently permanently ruin due to inexperience while installing heated grips?
I have the Chic Design hand guards in the smoke color. They match my wind screen. They're beautifully designed and engineered. Mounting them is fairly straightforward. I haven't had a chance to test them in really cold weather, yet. In cooler weather and in rain, they do an admirable job.
 
I have the factory heated grips.

I guess my answer to which, having never used any other would just be- how much do you want them to blend in or stand out?

I love them and see no reason for hand guards with them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
I have the factory heated grips.

I guess my answer to which, having never used any other would just be- how much do you want them to blend in or stand out?

I love them and see no reason for hand guards with them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the hand guards are just an added bit of help. i ride in all weather all year round, and though it doesn't get proper frigid here, it can get as low as 17 or 18 degrees F. stopping the wind from blowing over my fingers could be a big help during those times.

as for why i would ask for alternatives, it's really just a matter of seeing if there's anything that's objectively better, or if it's just a matter of price. for example, the Chicdesign guards are pricey compared to many others. if here's anything else in a dark tinted guard that i can find evidence is just as good, it's worth considering.

The same goes for the price of the OEM handwarmers vs. others. it's just due diligence.
 
Hey mister, I have the smoked color Chic Design hand guards from Samurider. If we meet up for a BRP ride in early Sept, you'll get to see them in person. They were on the bike when I bought it, and I honestly thought I'd remove them, but... I love them, for both warm and cold weather! Great wind and rain protection!
 
Already ordered from Takashi:

Chic Design:Hand-guards,Tinted,2010-2013 CB1100 | Samurider.com) ...Hand guards (Guyra Gauntlets)
Fits: 2010-2013 Honda CB1100 and 2014 ..(would say others as well???)
AND
http://www.moriwaki.co.jp/global/product/of.php?maker=HONDA&model=CB1100
Product:OIL FILLER CAP M20xP2.5 Crown Type BLACK
Part No:01561-211K2-B0

...and request to Ferret: please set free all weather terrorists (wet division), so I can test my new hand guards :rofl:

Takashi is great & super fast :thumbsup:
:excited:
 
Thread starter
Those are the chic design guards i've been considering Peter, though i'll probably look for a slightly better price in the end. I think they might actually be the only choice for a dark tinted guard, unless somebody here comes up with a miracle :-p.
Thanks A-man. I'll certainly give them a close examination. All the verbal reports i hear are good, I just need to be sure there's no alternatives that are going to make me regret buying them later.
 
These are what I have. I installed a pair on my wife's CTX and I have these waiting for fall to install on my CB. I believe that The Ferret has the same ones for his bike.

I had aftermarket heated grips on my first CB1100 which failed. I replaced them with Honda heated grips (which are also on my wife's CTX) and they worked perfectly. I failed to have them installed on my new CB1100 and already regret it. Next service interval will include installation of the Honda grips. They're pricey, but i feel that they're worth it----they are cleaner looking (take up less space on the bars) than others I've seen and I know they work.

Good luck.

13b1349dcf3e1a82a4299160f3e8cee8.jpg
 
mine are clear, which matches my windshield, but I believe they come in smoke. It would be easy to paint the inside coal black with plastic paint if you wanted to.
 
They are clear. I am considering painting the inside of them silver or red...or if I can convince my artistic brother, a black/white or silver/black checkerboard pattern. Given my strong drive towards procrastination, they will probably remain clear.

Also, I didn't see that tinted was a requirement of yours. I think they are available in smoke, as Ferret said.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
They are clear. I am considering painting the inside of them silver or red...or if I can convince my artistic brother, a black/white or silver/black checkerboard pattern. Given my strong drive towards procrastination, they will probably remain clear.

Also, I didn't see that tinted was a requirement of yours. I think they are available in smoke, as Ferret said.
They're going to be installed next to a Smoke tinted Dart Screen, so i'd prefer the look stay consistent. The Chicdesigns were the only ones I had seen in a smoke tint, but if these come that way, it's definitely worth consideration. I suppose it will come down to which one is tinted darker!

edit: initial investigation of the National Cycle website suggests they do not have a tinted version.
 
The Chicdesigns were the only ones I had seen in a smoke tint, but if these come that way, it's definitely worth consideration. I suppose it will come down to which one is tinted darker!
Perhaps you haven't noticed the tinted hand guards mentioned in post number ten.
 
Thread starter
i did not! probably because the page turns over after that post, that one got away from me. How lucky that they're installed on a CB11! my first impression is that they're a little small, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, because i've never had a bike with guards before, so I don't have any reference for how big they have to be to be effective. i'll be looking forward to your review when you install them.
 
Back
Top