Gut Factory Muffler

offroadfx4_imp said:
The center pipe is relatively soft thin metal, I did shorten mine with a dremel...the problem is getting a long enough shaft to reach deep enough to get past that big baffle plate.

I'm assuming they don't make an extra long dremel cutter because it can't take the side loads, at least if they do I haven't seen one.

If I could get a dremel cutter 5 inches long, I could shorten the center pipe now, since nothing is flowing through it, it's kind of useless.

I have wondered about cutting the bezel hole bigger, but I need it to be a very clean even cut since it will be exposed....any suggestions on how to cut it?

I thought about grinding along a ridge, what I think really need is a big fancy laser cutter?
Offroadfx4,

What I think you really need is a Stayintune slip on and an ice cold beer!!! :beerchug:

Great sound, less filing!!! I also drive a Ford FX4. Cheers.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Yea I know, I'm chasing 40 year old memories, probably fuzzy memories.

That Staintune is just so expensive, looks almost stock and I'm not sure it will be loud enough for me.

From what I remember seems like the Kerker exhaust was squared off on the end, like the picture below

Maybe I will go so fast enough, no one will see the mess inside from the back, at least not for long ;-)

Not really, I think the louder it is, the slower I will go?

 
I'm following this thread in awe of your gutsy ingenuity. I'm sure that your sawing and drilling and dremelling will ultimately result in the perfect exhaust for your and I can't wait to see the final product.

On an unrelated note, I have a very nice stock muffler (just a very minor dent) which I could be persuaded to sell at a reasonable price. ;)
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Yea I know, I'm chasing 40 year old memories, probably fuzzy memories.

That Staintune is just so expensive, looks almost stock and I'm not sure it will be loud enough for me.

From what I remember seems like the Kerker exhaust was squared off on the end, like the picture below

Maybe I will go so fast enough, no one will see the mess inside from the back, at least not for long ;-)

Not really, I think the louder it is, the slower I will go?



Off,

I wish you were closer so you could take my CB11 out for a ride. Like you, I think I'm a connesour of good motorcycle sound. The Staintune slip on is straight through with no baffles at all. It doesn't quiet the bike much but it deepens the tone a bit and it sounds bitchin'.

Here's a little test you can run. Take your muffler off completely and ride your bike. It will run fine and then you'll know the loudest it can be. It is still being muffled by the catalytic converter so it will be quieter than you think. If you gut your can completely so only the cut off megaphone with no end cap remains your bike will be a bit higher pitched and slightly quieter from every direction but behind. The Staintune works like the cherry bomb mufflers that were popular on hot rods and muscle cars in the 60's. Straight through, zero back pressure, and a perforated inner tube that kills the highest frequencies to give the exhaust a more pleasing (to most ears) tone without making it much quieter.

The catalytic converter does much the same thing. Keep us posted. I like the look of that Kirker pipe too.

Chip
 
I've no idea what your bike sounds like Offroad, but I've listened to Pterodactyl's Staintune a good deal. It's not hugely louder than the stock muffler, but there is a subtle and very pleasing difference in note. Chip has it right.
 
Thread starter
This took forever to figure out how to post a video from photobucket....hope it works!

For 11s it's 35 mb, hope it streams.

Sound quality is not that good, got to find a better way than a cell phone.

You can hear the little backfires that start to develop, I know it a sign of a poorly tuned engine, but I like it ;-)

Now if I can just get it to shoot some flames out of it...haha

 
Worked good for me!
 
Thread starter
Quote:Great sound, less filing!!! I also drive a Ford FX4. Cheers.
I've had 3 FX4's since 2000, they are so expensive, my 2007 might have to last a while.

I was looking for a gmail name that would be easy for me to remember, offroadfx4 was available, now it makes an easy user name to remember too!
Quote:Off,

I wish you were closer so you could take my CB11 out for a ride. Like you, I think I'm a connesour of good motorcycle sound. The Staintune slip on is straight through with no baffles at all. It doesn't quiet the bike much but it deepens the tone a bit and it sounds bitchin'.

Here's a little test you can run. Take your muffler off completely and ride your bike. It will run fine and then you'll know the loudest it can be. It is still being muffled by the catalytic converter so it will be quieter than you think. If you gut your can completely so only the cut off megaphone with no end cap remains your bike will be a bit higher pitched and slightly quieter from every direction but behind. The Staintune works like the cherry bomb mufflers that were popular on hot rods and muscle cars in the 60's. Straight through, zero back pressure, and a perforated inner tube that kills the highest frequencies to give the exhaust a more pleasing (to most ears) tone without making it much quieter.

The catalytic converter does much the same thing. Keep us posted. I like the look of that Kirker pipe too.

Chip
I do wish I could hear a Staintune in person, maybe if I make it to the NC rally I can.

I thought about doing the removing the muffler test, but I thought maybe there is something to this "megaphone" shape that amplifies the sound, like a trumpet or other musical horn?

In fact when I had my Honda 50 45 years ago, I took off the muffler to make it louder, then my father fabricated a "funnel" or megaphone out of a piece of aluminum which made it louder still....I'm sure my neighbors love me ;-)

I am worried about changing the tone for the worst, that is what's stopping from cutting the front baffle out right now....I'm thinking it's like you said, it lowers the tone?

I used to have "cherry bombs" on my first car....a 1967 Falcon with a 289...fooled many people at the light when that Falcon could "bark" the rear tires going to 2nd :-)
 
I drilled the baffles in the front and the rear with a 25mm uni-bit on long extensions. I also drilled 4 or 5 smaller holes along side. The sound was louder than stock but a little less mellow that after market exhaust ususally are.I now have a MSR stainless steel from Italy I like.It is a reverse cone type end not like the pipe out let end in the PiCs on their sight. It comes with a front and a rear db killer. I run both. Taking the rear out ( snapring) is probably the sound everyone is looking for,but too loud for me. But now their shipping costs have gone way up.. Now that I have a cable for my camera I will try to post pics or a bid. My phone will not post to the forum. It says not enough memory and I don't have the time to figure it out. Aslo installed a gear indicator on top of the instrument pod.
 
That sounds real good to me, and it's a whole lot cheaper than an aftermarket slip-on. If I were you I'd pop that end cap back on and ride it. :beerchug:
 
Red Mist_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
I guess I was thinking of the hunter's analogy of "gutting" a fish or a deer where they open it up and clean out the internal organs and factory is used to describe OEM Genuine Honda parts vs. aftermarket or non-genuine Honda parts.
Mebbe a few too many gallons of ale which has been drunk around these parts.

Anyway you can try to do it but better off getting a reflash. Don't know anyone who has actually done this, it doesn't look real feasible.

Reflash will get you topped out at over 140 mph according to CIP57. Don't think I'll be wicking mine up that far but would like to do the reflash.
Mebbe a few too many gallons of ale which has been drunk around these parts.

Anyway you can try to do it but better off getting a reflash. Don't know anyone who has actually done this, it doesn't look real feasible.

Reflash will get you topped out at over 140 mph according to CIP57. Don't think I'll be wicking mine up that far but would like to do the reflash.
Who could do a reflash? Does the dealership have to do that? What's the cost? Does it void the warranty?
 
I've been busy for a week or so "Jimmy-tuning" (not Staintune) the stock muffler. It looks almost normal here:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt217/mininsx51/phone pics 020.jpg

But with the end cap off it looks like this:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt217/mininsx51/phone pics 019.jpg

It sounds good in the garage but it's misting rain and cool today so I might not get to see how it sounds on the road just yet. I had drilled about 10 small holes right under the exhaust exit then enlarged them some more since it was still pretty quiet. Last night I used a Dremel to connect the holes and removed part of the end plate, then dressed up the holes with a stone in the Dremel. I ended up with a square hole, but no one can see it anyway so I don't care what it looks like as long as it sounds good.
 
9c801a017808eb5a5442f695ba942d0d.jpg


d3f09bb4a1e1122e3552650abb2f58e2.jpg
 
metalmaven_imp said:
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
Yeah, I cut most of it off using a Dremel. If it's left the original length there's very little room for any "extra" exhaust to get out.
And I'd like to thank "offroadfx4" for hacking off the end of his muffler so I could see exactly what's going on behind that end plate. His photos gave me the nerve to start drilling on mine. :beerchug:
 
I followed much the same pattern as most of you. I cut and drilled the muffler until I finally got fed up and fired the bike up with it removed. It sounds great with just the cat. So then I bent up some exhaust pipe, only took two bends, and ceramic coated it.

9b524a23f6e22fbde2965c2000377aa6.jpg


467d4200a9414df14f8d7a1f3f33b894.jpg
 
That reminds me of my first car, a '62 Volkswagen Beetle. I put headers on it but instead of a 3 bolt collector it tapered and turned and had a clamp-on muffler. I took it off and bought a 3 foot long, chrome slash cut pipe from the auto parts store and fit it on. That sucker was LOUD, with no packing or cat, of course. :D
 
Back
Top