Gut Factory Muffler

Offroad

Road warrior
Thread starter
OK, I'm just going to say it....how hard is it to gut the factory muffler.
Of all the slipons, none look any better than the Honda muffler so I'm just thinking about totally gutting it since I read drilling some holes doesn't help.
Has anyone attempted it? Techniques? Tools? Residue?
I plan on re-installing the end cap.
 
From what I've read it's not packed like a standard muffler is, but is built more like a flomaster car muffler in that it uses noise canceling baffles to quiet it down rather than tubes with holes surrounded by packing.
So I'm not so sure as to how easy it would be or what the end result would be.
 
Red Mist would most likely be the man on this, but isn't the muffler also partly a Helmholtz resonator? Wouldn't drilling holes here and there mess that up. RED MIST please comment!
 
I've been thinking the same thing. I like the look of the Arrow and Staintune mufflers but that's it, the rest look like they belong on a sportbike. I drilled holes in the baffle that's WAY down in there from the back, and even went so far as taking it off to look at the front end of the muffler to see if anything could be drilled or removed there. It looks to me like it would take a lot of work (and a torch) to do any good on the thing.
 
Thread starter
Helmholtz Resonator? Thanks Popgun, I thought I knew a little bit about Physics, but I had to Google that one! But I wonder if the manufactures of these slipons ever heard of it either ;-) Gives me something to think about...
 
Thread starter
They make extra long drill bits like those used to mount spotlights on cars windshield post I was thinking might work.
If I can pick up a factory muffler cheap enough, I'm going to try it!
 
Offroad,

I think Red Mist touched on the resonator aspects of mufflers a little bit somewhere on here. As a racer he seems pretty familiar with backpressure, cyl. scavageing, and all that. I think Red Mist might be Kevin Cameron... :)
 
I'm still thrown by the name of this post. Why would you want to muffle a gut factory?

What does a gut factory do anyway? :P
 
Thread starter
I guess I was thinking of the hunter's analogy of "gutting" a fish or a deer where they open it up and clean out the internal organs and factory is used to describe OEM Genuine Honda parts vs. aftermarket or non-genuine Honda parts.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I guess I was thinking of the hunter's analogy of "gutting" a fish or a deer where they open it up and clean out the internal organs and factory is used to describe OEM Genuine Honda parts vs. aftermarket or non-genuine Honda parts.
Mebbe a few too many gallons of ale which has been drunk around these parts.

Anyway you can try to do it but better off getting a reflash. Don't know anyone who has actually done this, it doesn't look real feasible.

Reflash will get you topped out at over 140 mph according to CIP57. Don't think I'll be wicking mine up that far but would like to do the reflash.
 
Thread starter
Is it this easy? or is that baffle attached on the inside?
Or does the inside look like this? See frame 0:38 seconds in...that would be a nightmare!



YouTube
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Offroad,

I think Red Mist touched on the resonator aspects of mufflers a little bit somewhere on here. As a racer he seems pretty familiar with backpressure, cyl. scavageing, and all that. I think Red Mist might be Kevin Cameron... :)
Everyone here knows that Red Mist is Freddie Spencer.:rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
I tried to get a sound clip with my phone, but it doesn't do it justice....maybe I'll try my little digital camera.
 
Thread starter
I updated my cut away on the factory muffler...I know it's a "hack job", I'm no professional and only have common tools to work with, but I plan to either cover it back up with the bezel get a real machinist to smooth it up some more.

To get rid of that center pipe, I'm thinking I need an inside pipe cutter, but most I've seen are for PVC, I need a metal one about 5-6 inches deep. Any suggestions?

The cutters I've found are so expensive I thought about seeking out a plumber to cut it for me.

My main problem is IT SOUNDS SO GOOD, I DON'T WANT TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON! I think there is something about the "megaphone" design that a cap just ruins. And I LOVE THE BACK FIRING, I don't know why, I just do.

So I'm toying with the thought of cutting the cap mounting tabs off, cutting that center pipe back and I would almost have that uncapped 4-1 Kerker header on the Kawasaki Z1 900 I keep remembering as being the sweetest sound I've ever heard out of any motorcycle. I'm thinking with the tabs off, the pipe will soot back up quickly, and most will only see a flat black hole?

Or on that primary input pipe, daylight can be seen when the muffler is off. With the muffler off you can see there is another perforated baffle that could be cut way from the front of the muffler. Maybe then I will be satisfied with the sound with the cap back on.

Bottom line, I know it looks bad, but it sounds good, so I'm following the Engineering Creed - Function over Form ;-)

PS: I'm only doing this because I bought this used to experiment on, I have my original muffler safely packed away in case I ever need it.

http://www.esm.psu.edu/courses/emch13/design/design-fund/design-notes/notesdesprocess.pdf



[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100%20Muffler%20Cut%20Away_zpsyx2btmbs.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100%20Muffler%20Cut%20Away%201_zpsydyvtvzg.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100%20Muffler%20Cut%20Away%202_zpstk9ejuri.jpg.html]
 
I was looking at this yesterday and I was wondering if a few small "louvers" cut just inside the exhaust pipe would make it a bit louder. A cutting stone on a Dremel might do the trick. And no, I haven't tried it yet.
 
Thread starter
The center pipe is relatively soft thin metal, I did shorten mine with a dremel...the problem is getting a long enough shaft to reach deep enough to get past that big baffle plate.

I'm assuming they don't make an extra long dremel cutter because it can't take the side loads, at least if they do I haven't seen one.

If I could get a dremel cutter 5 inches long, I could shorten the center pipe now, since nothing is flowing through it, it's kind of useless.

I have wondered about cutting the bezel hole bigger, but I need it to be a very clean even cut since it will be exposed....any suggestions on how to cut it?

I thought about grinding along a ridge, what I think really need is a big fancy laser cutter?
 
Back
Top